The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I just read through the rules and have a few questions (ones I dont think have been asked yet).

1. If I have only 1 fatigue card and I play just that one - can I discard it, even though I just played it?

2. If at the start of your turn you have less than 4 cards (due to countering something), do you draw back up before you play?

3. If a rapid moves you make into a special hex do you get to its ability (even if you just got it that current turn or before)?

4. Say I play 2 cards to jump a waterfall that allow me to move 2 spaces. Does the waterfall hex count as one of those spaces, or do I count my 2 spaces direction after the waterfall?

5. Reading a previous post - I am correct in understanding the printed rules are wrong about not being able to use 2 double jump cards for a waterfall? You can in fact do this?

6. If I come to a waterfall and don't have the correct number of movement cards to continue you (in say the 3 i just played) - so I stop in the hex before?

Thanks for any help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sanders wrote:
Hello, I just read through the rules and have a few questions (ones I dont think have been asked yet).

1. If I have only 1 fatigue card and I play just that one - can I discard it, even though I just played it?

2. If at the start of your turn you have less than 4 cards (due to countering something), do you draw back up before you play?

3. If a rapid moves you make into a special hex do you get to its ability (even if you just got it that current turn or before)?

4. Say I play 2 cards to jump a waterfall that allow me to move 2 spaces. Does the waterfall hex count as one of those spaces, or do I count my 2 spaces direction after the waterfall?

5. Reading a previous post - I am correct in understanding the printed rules are wrong about not being able to use 2 double jump cards for a waterfall? You can in fact do this?

6. If I come to a waterfall and don't have the correct number of movement cards to continue you (in say the 3 i just played) - so I stop in the hex before?

Thanks for any help

(1) Yes. The designer did mention somewhere that the intent was that if you ONLY play fatigue cards on your turn, you may return one to the stock pile.

(2) No. You play with what you have (and yes, you may wind up with "0" cardsdevil

(3) I think you mean current here. But yes, anytime you re-enter a hex, you take another of that type of card (if still available).

(4) Waterfall space counts as one of those spaces.

(5) It appears the designer's intent was to allow you to use two double move cards to jump...that said, on some of the boards, you're going to need just the right ones as you must be able to make every single move of that jump legally (i.e. you can't use just 2 or 3 of the moves - you must be able to move correctly for all 4 spaces).

(6) That's correct. You may never be on a waterfall hex. If a current pushes you into a waterfall hex, you must immediately fall back one hex according to the arrows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got our first play in, and I want to make sure I am playing right.

1. Do you play up to 3 of your cards at the same time - or do you play one, do what it says, then play the next one (obviously not when you play two for waterfall)

2. Do you get the special abilities if you move through the tile or only if you end your turn in the tile?

3. I know if you jump over a waterfall you get any special effects - but what if the currents send you back over (do you get the effects going backwards)?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sanders wrote:
Just got our first play in, and I want to make sure I am playing right.

1. Do you play up to 3 of your cards at the same time - or do you play one, do what it says, then play the next one (obviously not when you play two for waterfall)

2. Do you get the special abilities if you move through the tile or only if you end your turn in the tile?

3. I know if you jump over a waterfall you get any special effects - but what if the currents send you back over (do you get the effects going backwards)?

Thanks

(1) one at a time...otherwise the +1 hexes are pretty pointless.

(2) you get them if a card movement lands you on the tile. If you have a double swim card and move thru a special hex for the first half and then on to another hex for the second half, you would not get the effect of the first hex since that card's movement did not end on that hex.

(3) yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:

(3) yes

That would make it powerful - since you get it going over, and then play a current, go back over and get the power again. Then on your next turn go back over and get it. So you are getting that ability 3 times for the price of 2 fatigue cards and a 4 movement cards. I guess it really depends on the hex for that to pay off.

Thank you Garry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The answer to question 1 here http://boardgamegeek.com/article/11968449#11968449 says that you get the special benefits of a space with an icon even if you just move through it, i.e. you do not have to stop on it, so if you play a double swim and move through an icon hex you potentially add a card. The rules for Special Hexes also talk about getting the benefit when you move into a special hex, not just when you end your movement there.

I played my first sample game that you only get the benefit when you end your turn in the hex, waterfalls not withstanding, but after seeing answer 1 in the above link it looks like I played that wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
farsidehobbes wrote:
...says that you get the special benefits of a space with an icon even if you just move through it,

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
farsidehobbes wrote:
The answer to question 1 here http://boardgamegeek.com/article/11968449#11968449 says that you get the special benefits of a space with an icon even if you just move through it, i.e. you do not have to stop on it, so if you play a double swim and move through an icon hex you potentially add a card. The rules for Special Hexes also talk about getting the benefit when you move into a special hex, not just when you end your movement there.

I played my first sample game that you only get the benefit when you end your turn in the hex, waterfalls not withstanding, but after seeing answer 1 in the above link it looks like I played that wrong.

My bad...missed this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
Sanders wrote:

(6) That's correct. You may never be on a waterfall hex. If a current pushes you into a waterfall hex, you must immediately fall back one hex according to the arrows.

So which is it? [a] Do you stop before the waterfall? (same as for a rock?) Or [b] do you move onto the waterfall, but then immediately get washed downstream, following the arrows?

The result isn't always the same, because the arrow from the waterfall may not lead you back to exactly the same hex you started from, and even if it did there is the matter of collecting the effects when entering hexes.

My guess is that you simply stop prior to the waterfall, much like if you swim into a rock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tradewinds Ted wrote:
garry_rice wrote:
Sanders wrote:

So which is it? [a] Do you stop before the waterfall? (same as for a rock?) Or [b] do you move onto the waterfall, but then immediately get washed downstream, following the arrows?

The result isn't always the same, because the arrow from the waterfall may not lead you back to exactly the same hex you started from, and even if it did there is the matter of collecting the effects when entering hexes.

My guess is that you sinply stop prior to the waterfall, much like if you swim into a rock.

You would stop before entering the waterfall. The current only takes effect when someone plays a current card that pushes you onto the waterfall hex. In this case you must drop back another hex since you can't stay on the waterfall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can never play a swim card by itself to move into a Waterfall or Rock. If you play a swim card but cannot complete the entire movement for it then you do not move at all for that card, this allows you to discard swim cards that won't help you right now.

The only time you ever enter a waterfall hex is if a Current is played and the arrows direct you into awaterfall hex, and since you cannot stay in a waterfall, you follow the arrows out of it. In another thread, the designer mentioned that right after players have just jumped a waterfall is often a great time to play a Current since it will send them back over it and they'll have to rejump.

I think with the amount of questions that have been generated over the past few days now that folks have the game in hand, an official FAQ by the designer would be helpful to sum up what's been clarified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
farsidehobbes wrote:
You can never play a swim card by itself to move into a Waterfall or Rock. If you play a swim card but cannot complete the entire movement for it then you do not move at all for that card, this allows you to discard swim cards that won't help you right now.

The only time you ever enter a waterfall hex is if a Current is played and the arrows direct you into awaterfall hex, and since you cannot stay in a waterfall, you follow the arrows out of it. In another thread, the designer mentioned that right after players have just jumped a waterfall is often a great time to play a Current since it will send them back over it and they'll have to rejump.

I think with the amount of questions that have been generated over the past few days now that folks have the game in hand, an official FAQ by the designer would be helpful to sum up what's been clarified.

This is correct and I'm working on a FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
drktron wrote:
This is correct and I'm working on a FAQ.

Great! I've played the game a few times and enjoy it quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.