Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Modern games post 1960 that may become classics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M M
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'd like to get an honest opinion by every BGGer what games created from 1960 and after would become true classics where they would be played by future generations in the same context of Chess, Checkers, Scrabble, and etc.? I've picked 1960 and onward because I do believe that some modern games before 1960 like Risk, Diplomacy, Scrabble, Monopoly, Texas Hold'em are already classics. Only boardgames, card games, tile games, dice games, pencil and paper games, and RPGs, not video or computer games are what I'm asking for.

Here's a list of many popular games you can decide upon. You can comment on other games as well:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/155937/are-these-games-cla...?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be better as a geek list.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
California
flag msg tools
I can think of a few off the bat: Dungeons and Dragon, Connect 4, and Battleship.

RPGs, Eurogames, AmeriTrash, German board games are also allowed here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thunkd wrote:
This would be better as a geek list.


How would I do that? I'm not even sure what that is. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some info about what a GeekList is:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/GeekLists#

Here's an example of a GeekList:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/85226/great-or-overrated-c...

The nice thing about a GeekList is that after each item in it, you can allow other users to make comments about that specific item. Also, you can allow others to add items. That way, if I had an idea for a modern classic game, I could see if it's already in your list, read the comments so far and add my own comment. If it wasn't on your list, I might add it with my comment of why I think it's a modern classic, and then you & others could discuss why I'm right or wrong.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
California
flag msg tools
chockle wrote:
Here's some info about what a GeekList is:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/GeekLists#

Here's an example of a GeekList:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/85226/great-or-overrated-c...

The nice thing about a GeekList is that after each item in it, you can allow other users to make comments about that specific item. Also, you can allow others to add items. That way, if I had an idea for a modern classic game, I could see if it's already in your list, read the comments so far and add my own comment. If it wasn't on your list, I might add it with my comment of why I think it's a modern classic, and then you & others could discuss why I'm right or wrong.


Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I don't know if it's too late to make this thread into one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Finlay
Australia
Beldon
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
It's never too late.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
California
flag msg tools
ldsdbomber wrote:
1960s
Acquire

1970s
Cosmic Encounter

1980s
1830

1990s
Tigris & Euphrates (& EL Grande)

2000s
Dominion (I'm not recommending that though)

2010s
Innovation


I was just reading about 1839 (and 1829) in another thread about an hour ago. I'll have to take a look at it.

Tigris & Euprhrates and El Grande seem to be very popular. I haven't actually played these games to be honest. The same goes with Puerto Rico. I have played Settlers of Catan. It's a great game, and perhaps it can be a great classic also.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aamma58 wrote:
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I don't know if it's too late to make this thread into one.


Set up a geek list and post a link to it here. Any topic where the discussion is going to be about specific board games usually works better as a geek list.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thunkd wrote:
aamma58 wrote:
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I don't know if it's too late to make this thread into one.


Set up a geek list and post a link to it here. Any topic where the discussion is going to be about specific board games usually works better as a geek list.


I set up a Geek List for Tigers and Euphrates, but I tried to link it here using the Insert Geek Link function and nothing happened.

Here's the Geek List that I created: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/155937/tigers-and-euphrate...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
aamma58 wrote:
I'd like to get an honest opinion by every BGGer what games created from 1960 and after would become true classics where they would be played by future generations in the same context of Chess, Checkers, Scrabble, and etc.? I've picked 1960 and onward because I do believe that some modern games before 1960 like Risk, Diplomacy, Scrabble, Monopoly, Texas Hold'em are already classics. Only boardgames, card games, tile games, dice games, not video or computer games is what I'm asking for.


Perhaps Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride. Solely because they have sold millions of copies. There may be others like this (and I'm deliberately excluding MtG because of its collectable nature), but I don't know what they are.

Quite simply most of what the BGG zeitgeist considers real games just don't get enough exposure to even start approaching Chess' or Scrabble's place in our culture. How could they, when the typical print run is 2 - 5 thousand copies? One of the more successful games of the last few years, Alien Frontiers (great game, full of theme that will appeal), is just into its fourth printing and has barely cracked ten thousand copies.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe all of the Avalon Hill games produced after 1960 should be on the list.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
2010s
Innovation


I don't know about that one. Its got gawd awful art and has potential to play horribly (I know cause I've sat thru two games of this). The only reason I'm willing to give it additional plays is because y'alls been raving about it!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
California
flag msg tools
Here's a list of games that I've created for you to judge upon. You can comment on other games as well that are not mentioned:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/155937/are-these-games-cla...?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
California
flag msg tools
By classic I mean as in popular, and not necessarily level of difficulty.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
1960s
Acquire

1970s
Cosmic Encounter

1980s
1830

1990s
Tigris & Euphrates (& EL Grande)

2000s
Dominion (I'm not recommending that though)

2010s
Innovation


Catan needs to be in there just because. Innovation doesn't belong. 7 Wonders is a vastly better pick. There are higher ranked games, but 7 Wonders has the mass appeal to go beyond BGG.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Catan needs to be in there just because. Innovation doesn't belong. 7 Wonders is a vastly better pick. There are higher ranked games, but 7 Wonders has the mass appeal to go beyond BGG.


No way 7 wonders goes in. Its the current hotness aided by the fact it plays seven. But it isn't an instant classic and it won't be in the future. Its a nice superfiller but that's it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
California
flag msg tools
ldsdbomber wrote:
1960s
Acquire

1970s
Cosmic Encounter

1980s
1830

1990s
Tigris & Euphrates (& EL Grande)

2000s
Dominion (I'm not recommending that though)

2010s
Innovation


I've added Cosmic Encounter to the list since the BGG article wrote so well about it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
Avatar
mbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
No way 7 wonders goes in. Its the current hotness aided by the fact it plays seven. But it isn't an instant classic and it won't be in the future. Its a nice superfiller but that's it.

It won KdJ/DSP almost two years ago and it's still played by more and more people who don't know what "current hotness" or "superfiller" are though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
max_s wrote:
aaarg_ink wrote:
No way 7 wonders goes in. Its the current hotness aided by the fact it plays seven. But it isn't an instant classic and it won't be in the future. Its a nice superfiller but that's it.

It won KdJ/DSP almost two years ago and it's still played by more and more people who don't know what "current hotness" or "superfiller" are though.


Call me when the number of people who know of it (much less play it) numbers in the millions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Call me when the number of people who know of it (much less play it) numbers in the millions.


Then Innovation really doesn't belong and I would question some others. Looks like we should put Munchkin on there though. I would guess something like Apples to Apples might need to be included as well if we are going purely off of sales.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
max_s wrote:
aaarg_ink wrote:
No way 7 wonders goes in. Its the current hotness aided by the fact it plays seven. But it isn't an instant classic and it won't be in the future. Its a nice superfiller but that's it.

It won KdJ/DSP almost two years ago and it's still played by more and more people who don't know what "current hotness" or "superfiller" are though.


Call me when the number of people who know of it (much less play it) numbers in the millions.


I forgot that it won the KDJ, it certainly bolsters your argument a little, but not nearly as much as if it won the SDJ, if popularity is the major concern. I just find 7 wonders fiddly and not nearly worth the payoff in temrs of rules overhead.

I guess this discussion will need to veer off into the meaning of classic soon.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost all modern games are too irregular, detailed and arbitrary to ever be in the same category as e.g. chess. If two of you were stranded on a desert island (and not having to spend all your time trying to stay alive) you could play a game of chess. Pretty much every other game mentioned, no chance. (Connect 4 yes, but it was easily solved and not going to survive in that way.)

Desert island play isn't the reason in and of itself, but indicative of a problem. Too many arbitrary numbers, cards you can say "why that one and not this one?" and so on.

There are games that are closer than others of course. Siedler is closer than Agricola for example (especially Agricola the full game, but even the family game is too arbitrary).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't there some "BGG classics" geeklist somewhere? There was this project to list up games that are truly important and so, and at least 10 years old.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
D&D has been around for 4 decades so realistically you could cover 3 generations of players there, it may be around for a few more decades but who knows beyond that.

MTG has been around for 20 so it would be interesting to see if it makes it to 30 years

How long have some of the card games like Uno been around?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.