Subject: Going to my first tournament, want to be prepared? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeremy hammond
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to make sure I'm fully understanding. And thanks to all of those who have answered my many questions.

1. How does the start of match begin, show house card and then agenda?

2. More importantly, breaking down a phase, say Challenges:
So I'm looking at the flow chart (mine is in black and white) of the phases. There is the framework actions separated by player actions. This is where I get a little confused, in terms of "any phase" cards and "responses". Here is my understanding: Responses can go off in the framework actions interrupting those numbers (ya or nay). Any phase events and Ambush go off in the player actions part?

The reason for number 2 is I was watching a tourney video on team covenant ( love those, if there more some one please tell) and the commentator made the comment that an Ambushing character could be stealthed. I thought no b/c there is a player actions window after kneel defenders and the attacker would have had to declare stealth already.

Hope this makes sense, just want to clarify differences between framework actions and player actions. I do better when it's explained.

Thanks so much, and I hope to make top 8, just want a prize, would love some cool power/coin tokens, lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You both reveal house card, and then agenda simultaneously.

Technically, you must determine first player by a coin flip or die roll or something before first plot flip. This is so you know who has first opportunity to do actions before the first plot is revealed.

Responses: can be played any time their play conditions are met. The order is always thus:
1) Action is initiated
2) Save/cancel responses
3) Action is executed
4) Passive abilities, triggered by the action, are resolved:
I) Initiate passive ability
II) Save/cancel responses (only for the preceding passive ability)
III) Execute passive ability
IV) Initiate passive abilities triggered by the passive ability
(following I through IV)
5) Responses (in clockwise order until all players consecutively pass) are resolved. For each response:
a) Initiate response
b) Save/cancel responses (only for the preceding response)
c) Execute response
d) Initiate passive abilities triggered by the response (follow I
through IV above)
6) Action is resolved (end of action)

This is pretty much the same for framework actions and player actions. The only real difference is that framework actions are initiating a game effect, while player actions are initiating some other effect defined by the card.

Look a little closer at the challenge phase framework actions. The "declare stealth" portion is in the same window right before 'declare defenders', not in the 'declare attackers' window.

Hope this helps, but others may be more explicit.

A bunch of the DC guys are going down to NC, and I hope you do well, but also hope you learn a lot! Feel free to ask questions, as they are very knowledgeable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy hammond
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Ambush, couldn't you Ambush after the kneel defenders part and defend and therefore it's past the Stealthing chance? Or is that where I'm wrong about where you can play any phase cards?

Thanks for the awesome reply
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm King
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
http://waboardgamers.org.au/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could ambush after defenders are knelt but the ambushing character won't be taking part in the challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.