Subject: Request for a review update rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
Can someone who owns this from the current print run provide an updated review for this game? Last one in the forums was 2011, and while I know that the game hasn't necessarily changed much (although component quality may be vastly different) the lens through which deckbuilders are viewed has seen a lot of change. Does this still hold up, or does it feel like 2009 called and they want their deckbuilder back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidan Mirisola-Sullivan
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
oh hai
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also love some updated impressions -- doesn't the current printing include the expansion, as well? This would address a couple of the comments re: reviewers wishing there was a little more to the game.

-mb robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mammothbaby wrote:
I'd also love some updated impressions -- doesn't the current printing include the expansion, as well? This would address a couple of the comments re: reviewers wishing there was a little more to the game.

-mb robot

I will defer to others for comment since I might be a tad biased.
I can confirm, however, that the Rio Grande version delivers higher quality components and ships with the HQ Expansion. This introduces new mercs, new tools, end-game scoring through gangs, and unique player powers through Tribal Leaders, plus the ability to construct buildings back at your own HQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mueller
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the new edition. I haven't played with all of the modules in the new expansion, but everything I've played with looks good. The addition of Medics to the game solves the med issues, and the achievement cards add another level of interaction in a deck builder that already has a lot of interaction. Buildings are another innovative mechanic that has a cool self limiting feature. The new layout is even better than before, and the card quality is top notch.

It's a must buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mammothbaby wrote:

-mb robot

While not a formal review, Scott Everts was a fan of the original base game and commented in another thread that he was very pleased with the new capabilities that the Rio edition with the HQ expansion has to offer.

His Quote:
ScottE wrote:
We played our first game last night and added all the HQ expansion cards. I really like the HQ stuff. The leaders and base building add a lot to the game. And the gangs give you some objectives. If a game group is experienced deck builder fans then I recommend to throw it all in. The basic game is pretty simple without the added content.

Link to his post: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/11996405#11996405

I hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Another review just rolled in. Highlights:

oscargarciaosuna wrote:
FINAL COMMENTS: This is an excellent deck building game. The theme is so immersive, you almost feel like you were actually leading a post apocalyptic tribe who has to fight to death with other gangs in order to obtain valuable resources which will lead you to the victory. It´s like playing Fallout in snow. I like the fact that family tribes, have two uses: they count as people for scoring purposes, but they can also carry tools, so they are not that useless as Estate cards in Dominion. The sniper/saboteur/medic mechanics are the meat of the skirmishes. For moments it seems like you are playing MTG. I would prefer a specific card to trash other cards, because so far, it´s too easy to just get rid of everything. Regardless, it´s a gem of a gem, but as a gem, it can certainly be improved with so many things. I look forward to new expansions. Arctic Scavengers is just the beginning of a new saga in the same line as Dominion.

Pros:
• Wonderful post-apocalyptic theme
• Good mix of mechanics: deck building, bluffing, variable powers, variable turn order.
• Beautiful illustrations.
• Direct interaction with other players (it does not feel as a solitaire multiplayer game)
• Excellent cardstock quality
• Functional insert. Sleeved cards fit perfectly (thank you!)
• Good medium sized box (portable)
• Easy to learn
• Quick game but not as much to be considered as a filler

Cons:
• Game rulebook came with errors.t Must read forums in order to clarify rules. You can download updated rulebook from Rio Grande Games website.
• When playing with 2 players it becomes evident that some strategies are not that effective (i.e. hiring engineers in order to build buildings is not a very effective strategy. Games is too quick and you won´t have enough time). It works better with 3 and 4 players.
• Not so much replayability due to the low number of mercenaries available. Easy to solve: expansions!!!!  I suggest an expansion comprised of event cards (extreme weather conditions, natural disasters, animal attacks, invading forces, etc.) as well as the inclusion of rudimentary vehicles, more domestic animals, the possibility to trade with other players (even though you will end up attacking each other).

Full review here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/962636/arctic-scavengers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Another review...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/962661/darling-dork-scavenge...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an external (i.e. non-BGG) review: http://initiativetabletop.com/2013/04/17/written-review-arct...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.