16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: tracks missing from the cassette rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Many years ago, I had Roxette's Look Sharp on cassette. Listened to it endlessly, knew it backwards (yes, Per and Marie are satanic devil). When I moved on to compact discs, I bought the album and was shocked to find a new track that was not on the tape.

I asked a few questions and was told that it was not unheard of - sometimes a CD was just too long for a standard cassette, so the label would cut a track or two to make it fit.

I've only just remembered this, and it occurred to me that I've never encountered this again - so, does anyone have an examples?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I've seen it. It's very common, I bet you've got CDs like this but just never had the CD and tape to compare to.

Off the top of my head, the CD for Ride's "Nowhere" includes an EP or two. But I know I've seen it in more than just that one place.

I never thought it was because of the longer play time for a cassette. I always figured it was just later releases would sometimes add in more songs that never made it onto an LP before, and the CDs always came after the tape or LP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall a "best of" 8-Trac for the Rolling Stones wasn't missing a track, but did end up splitting Satisfaction over one of the track jumps.

So, it would be:
"Can't get me no; no, no, no…"
2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8
"…hey, hey, hey! That's what I say!"

I actually recorded a few 8-tracs for my own use (my mom's old Ford Granada had an 8-trac player), and found that if you just ignored the jump splice - recording right over the track change - it was significantly less jarring, barely noticeable. I always wish they had done that with the stones tape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Bonus" CD tracks were an early ploy by the recording industry to get people to convert to the (then) new technology of CD's. Once you bought a CD player...you had to update your tape collection to CD's. More sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a cassette which has more songs than on the CD release.

Wikipedia wrote:
CARDIACS: The Seaside was reissued on CD in 1995, with "Nurses Whispering Verses", "Is This the Life?", "A Little Man and a House" and "Dinner Time" all removed from the tracklisting. The reason provided for these omissions was that the master tape containing those four songs had been damaged and the recordings lost.

It regularly fetches up to £150 on eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i was wondering who the person that still liked roxette was
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Altair IV wrote:

That would be, like a lot of other bands, half of Europe and most of South America.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Altair IV wrote:

Awww, c'mon! Join the joyride!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly The Cures first pressing on CD of "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me" had one fewer track than the cassette version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
frumpish wrote:
Interestingly The Cures first pressing on CD of "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me" had one fewer track than the cassette version.

I was going to post this as a counter point to the OP. IIRC, the reason is because The original CD spec topped out at 74 mins. Kiss Me^3, being a double album, was a bit longer than that. A way was later figured out to squeeze 80 mins onto a CD, but since labels don't like remastering things unless there's a serious financial benefit in doing so, the full version of Kiss Me^3 didn't get released on CD until fairly recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonus tracks on CDs are common.

Less common is what I noticed with Faith No More's "The Real Thing" (the one that has 'Epic'). The song 'Edge of the World' is Track 11 on the CD, but Track 6 on the cassette. Not sure why that's the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
wmshub wrote:
Off the top of my head, the CD for Ride's "Nowhere" includes an EP or two. But I know I've seen it in more than just that one place.

According to http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ride/nowhere, the 1990 US release of both cassette and CD had the bonus tracks. Good thing, cuz "Taste" is the best track on there.

(Damn, just saw on that page that Rhino released a 2011 remaster.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

I still remember debating whether to buy the album or the CD because of this.

I bought the CD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
midrange pop culture does take about 15-20 years to filter out....and thats about the time it becomes retro in the usa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
Altair IV wrote:

Awww, c'mon! Join the joyride!

Well Roxette have got to the point where they sound better but they don't quite look the same

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.