Subject: What is the solitaire like? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't find many details about the solitaire other than the fact that there is a module for it. I'm interested in knowing how it works/plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Petty
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
The solitaire variant adds a separate set of cards that are used to determine for the opposing side:

A strategic objective set by Hitler or Stalin
Tactical instructions for the current turn

The cards also determine when the player switches sides to actively control the other side based on the current VP level.

Basically the module gives you a set of guidelines that dictate the basic behavior of the other side with the added twist that not fulfilling the objectives of the opposite side will not only cost you current VPs, but playing the other side poorly will hurt you if the card system dictates that you switch sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Got it. Another question. How does the GMT version differ from the VPG version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Petty
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
If you're asking about the solitaire module, the GMT and VPG versions are identical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The solitaire cards and rules were included in C3I #26, or you can use the original VPG version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
drep wrote:
If you're asking about the solitaire module, the GMT and VPG versions are identical.

Actually, I meant the game as a whole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Petty
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
Ah. Well I don't have the VPG version so maybe Carl can give you the total rundown with more authority, but the GMT version has higher quality components, polished rules, and all of the VPG expansions packaged together. Unless someone was literally giving their VPG version away, I'd pick up the GMT game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, Carl just e-mailed me a link with a review detailing the differences between the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
drep wrote:
Ah. Well I don't have the VPG version so maybe Carl can give you the total rundown with more authority, but the GMT version has higher quality components, polished rules, and all of the VPG expansions packaged together. Unless someone was literally giving their VPG version away, I'd pick up the GMT game.

The two versions are indeed pretty much the same. There are a few differences between the rules, but it's very minor.

As for the module, there was also a special code in each copy of the "No Retreat!" GMT game allowing you to download a free print&play version of the Solitaire Module directly from VPG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I still haven't decided, but I'm leaning toward the GMT version if only for the additional cards and more polished rules. But on the other hand, I do like the portability that the VPG polybags give (I've toted many a VPG bag to some family function or other). The component quality is not even a factor for me.

Carl, do you know if VPG has plans to do a Gold Banner version of this game, incorporating the additional cards and rules, or does their agreement with GMT prevent them from doing that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
metal134 wrote:
Carl, do you know if VPG has plans to do a Gold Banner version of this game, incorporating the additional cards and rules, or does their agreement with GMT prevent them from doing that?

Good question... I have NO IDEA! But I really do not think any GMt agreement stops them from doing this. Not sure this is something I WOULD like to be done, though. The GMt version is "out of print" since 2012, all 5000 copies of it. So it would depend if GMt wants do to a reprint or not. If not I guess i could make a VPG "Gold Banner" version, but if I do it will be only the "Basic" game (ending in 1944) plus extra cards.

Will inquire about this and keep you posted.

Do kknow that this year will probably see VPG publish "No Mercy!": think "No Retreat!", but with areas and NO dice... Simpler to play, too.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?7@@.1dd75397/26
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.