I'm Gonna Wreck It!
United States
Spring Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: I have since traded this to Noble Knight Games for store credit and used the money to purchase Escape! The Curse of the Temple.

----original message---

I have this game new in shrink wrap from a recent Math Trade and can't decide what to do with it as I know it's relatively valuable online brand new. Reviews haven't helped a lot (partly because there aren't many amazingly written ones)

Here's where I'm coming from:

0.) The theme is meaningless to me. I despise the new series (OK...maybe not "despise" but resent), but if it's got good gameplay, it's got good gameplay.

1.) My fiance loves traditional Risk and Axis & Allies, I'm talking the "Vanilla"s here. Will this match up to her expectations to a point she will enjoy it. I actually haven't played either of the originals with her as I don't own them. Also, she is not a member of BGG, so I can get her involved through talking if you want specifics of what she enjoys.

2.) I screwed up with Risk: Legacy. I own it, but I know it really requires a regular game group to enjoy it to it's max and my group is pretty tumultuous. Thinking about buying an extra copy while it's in stock to enjoy with the kids in the future, but for now I think I'm stuck invested in a copy that won't get finished with 3 plays in.

3.) I am currently in the process of figuring out how I want to downsize my collection a little to the meat of what I REALLY want to keep that the two of us will enjoy and we both enjoy all the two player games I've currently introduced (Starship Catan, Quarto, Jambo!, Ra: The Dice Game, Zombie Dice, JAB: Realtime Boxing, Carcassonne, and For the Win). Knowing this is playable with 2, does it work well anywhere from 2-4? Would this fill a slot? I also own Battle Cry, but have yet to play it. Is this equal, completely different, better?

4.) Knowing the price on Amazon for a brand new one I feel I can comfortably sell mine with the FBA (Fulfilled by Amazon) method meaning that it would have Prime shipping available as an option for $50-$60 and even with their take it would still probably be cheaper than me shipping it myself. Especially, since I'll probably do a bulk shipment to Amazon once this semester is over. Plus, after playing it at a con I would love to pick up Escape: The Curse of the Temple so some money would be helpful for that.

5.) I traded this and 3 other games for a copy of XBox 360 L.A. Noire. So, to me, the money itself is not the issue it's more of a question of how much space it consumes versus possible enjoyment versus enjoyment from other games.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: To keep or sell?
I recommend selling. There are better risks, better 2 players, and better games for your money. If you're trying to only hold on to great games, when you consider its resell value, this is a good candidate to purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Headbutt wrote:
There are better risks, better 2 players, and better games for your money.

While the statements, on their own, are accurate...

...there really aren't any better two player Risks. Which is, I think, the key. I mean, of course you are wrong about the new movies (much better than the originals). But the gameplay in this one really works well. It's definitely one of the top Risk versions (it seems to place in the top 3 Risk games on most people's lists, certainly always in the top 5), and it works exceptionally well with just 2-players...which obviously the vast majority of the Risk games do very poorly at.

So if you have an S.O. who is deadset on dismissing better games in favor of 'more traditional' boardgames (a la 'Risk', 'Monopoly', 'Clue', etc)...then this is pretty nearly as close to perfect as you can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it well worth keeping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a good risk and perhaps worth keeping, although the Star Wars original trilogy risk is a better 2 player Star Wars risk - so may be worth selling to get this instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm Gonna Wreck It!
United States
Spring Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:
I think it's a good risk and perhaps worth keeping, although the Star Wars original trilogy risk is a better 2 player Star Wars risk - so may be worth selling to get this instead.

Thank you very much for the recommendation . I actually sold this game months ago as there was never really any desire to break it out and didn't look like that would change anytime soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.