David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: Pretty basic playtest here. The Erthen player is still new to STA (this was his fourth session), so I wanted to stick with well-tested factions.

Playtest Report

Date: 11 April 2013
Gamescape: Fields of Battle
Skirmish Points: 40 (max character level: Veteran)

Scenario: Kill 'em All - no scavenge tokens
Fight it out for 10 rounds. The winner is the player who has the most Victory Points. Victory Points are earned by getting kills.

Factions: Combine vs. Erthen

Combine: 2x Veteran Vanguards, 1x Veteran Cyborg Commander, 1x Veteran Inferno, 2x Recruit HARPIs

Erthen: 1x Veteran Tremor, 2x Veteran Ion Core, 1x Recruit Tremor, 1x Recruit Geomancer

Setup:
We only had a couple hours to play and I wanted to try to fit in at least two - hopefully three - skirmishes, so I built a gamsescape before the Erthen player came over to play. We used the same gamescape for all three sessions we played. I tried to mix in a good balance of Elevated, Difficult, and Water Terrain.

Overview of the skirmish:
This was the Erthen player’s second time playing Erthen. He wanted to bump up the skirmish points a bit and try Veteran characters. I had played Marauders in the first skirmish of the night so this time I went with the Combine. Again, I wanted to try one of each character but stick with Veterans as much as possible. You can’t field a Veteran Hellfire and Inferno in a 40 point game, so I went with the Inferno.

Again, the game started off simple enough. I wanted the flexibility of the range of the Vanguards (bolstered by the commander) with the Inferno backing them up once things inevitably got close-range.

The Inferno got an early, devestating shot off against both Tremors and an Ion Core, but it didn’t kill any of them. The Tremors each shook off a point of damage with Stoneskin. It was a recurring theme in this battle for Combine to dish out damage, but the Tremors’ soaked it right up with Stoneskin or the Geomancer healed them as quickly as possible.

After dropping the weaker Tremor through concentrated attack, the Erthen player successfully hit the Inferno with Magnetic Force and through him out of the battle. It would take a couple rounds for the massive ARMS to get back into the thick of things. In the mean time, the Erthen player tried to take out the weaker Combine characters.

However, they held their own long enough for the Inferno to get back in the fray. Once he was back, he made quick work of the injured Tremor. In the end, the Inferno and the remaining Vanguard finished off the last remaining Erthen character - an Ion Core.

This was a good match and it showcased the versatility of Magnetic Force. As a matter of fact, all three skirmishes for the evening showed a different use for the power.

Pics:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.