Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I've narrowed my regionals squad down to two choices:

Option 1 - 100 points
Wedge (29) + Swarm Tactics (2) + R2-D2 (4) + Shield Upgrade (4) = 39
Luke (28) + Squad Leader (2) = 30
Biggs (25) + R2-F2 (3) + Stealth Device (3) = 31

The strategy here involves staying in a tight formation, pointing all the guns at the same target each turn, and forcing enemy fire to Biggs. Biggs uses R2-F2 every turn, and Luke uses Squad Leader to give him focus. Wedge uses Swarm Tactics to bring Biggs up to skill 9 for combat.

Option 2 - 99 points
Luke (28) + Elusiveness (2) + R2-F2 (3) + Stealth Device (3) = 36
Rookie Pilot (21) + Stealth Device (3) = 24

This squad splits into two groups: Wedge and the rookie (swarmed up to PS 9) on one side, and a very hard-to-hit Luke on the other side, forcing the opponent to either turn his back on one of the groups (probably Luke) or divide his ships. This build is also 99 points, so I'd be more likely to shoot first against other PS 9's.

A credit for your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Between those two choices I prefer #1. IMO Biggs is essential for keeping the squad alive long enough to do damage. I'd probably switch the R2-D2 Shield upgrade to Luke instead of Wedge though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
Brian1981 wrote:
Okay, I've narrowed my regionals squad down to two choices:

Option 1 - 100 points
Luke (28) + Squad Leader (2) = 30
Biggs (25) + R2-F2 (3) + Stealth Device (3) = 31

The strategy here involves staying in a tight formation, pointing all the guns at the same target each turn, and forcing enemy fire to Biggs. Biggs uses R2-F2 every turn, and Luke uses Squad Leader to give him focus. Wedge uses Swarm Tactics to bring Biggs up to skill 9 for combat.

there are some minor issues, mainly with Luke. If the main point of using Luke is to grant Biggs an extra focus action, why not consider Garven instead? Luke + squad leader = 30pts and takes up 1 action from Luke, whereas Garven costs only 26 pts and doesnt eat up 1 action from anywhere. On top of that, after Biggs is dead, Luke's squad leader is totally wasted, whereas for Garven, Wedge's Swarm Tactics allows Garven to continue assisting by giving his focus token to Wedge before Wedge fires. and with 4 extra points you could consider quite a fair amount of upgrades. you could slap torps on Wedge, or give shield upgrade to Garven, maybe even give him R5D8 if you are into that sort of thing (for when garven is your last Xwing flying), etcetc

Quote:

Option 2 - 99 points
Luke (28) + Elusiveness (2) + R2-F2 (3) + Stealth Device (3) = 36
Rookie Pilot (21) + Stealth Device (3) = 24

This squad splits into two groups: Wedge and the rookie (swarmed up to PS 9) on one side, and a very hard-to-hit Luke on the other side, forcing the opponent to either turn his back on one of the groups (probably Luke) or divide his ships. This build is also 99 points, so I'd be more likely to shoot first against other PS 9's.

A credit for your thoughts?

not much synergy, and it looks like the rookie pilot would die very very quickly, unless that is the point? Once Wedge goes down, that's pretty much it for you, since i doubt that powered up luke would have much offensive capabilities.

perhaps you may want to drop the shield upgrade on wedge, then move the extra 4 pts over to the rookie and upgrade him into a Biggs. That way you could continue with your idea of Wedge + someone else on one side and Luke alone on the other side. i'm not too big of a fan of elusiveness w/o R2 astromech due to the limited number of greens the Xwing has, and i have a few times when my opponent rerolled his hits into hits again (sometimes crits even), so you are pretty much giving yourself the stress token for no reason whatsoever. it's personal choice, but since Luke is supposed to operate alone, maybe I would consider giving him vet instincts (which would clash with wedge's swarm tactics, but that extra 1 pt could be used to give him PTL instead), or determination, or maybe expert handling even to make him a more difficult to hit target. If you decide to go the Wedge PTL route, i'd swap R2D2 + Shield over to Luke and put R2F2 + stealth on Wedge, and with the final point maybe draw their fire on Luke, so Biggs gets to stay alive even longer if you are going in together, or when biggs is dead, you can have luke link up with wedge and offer him some added protection.

if you ask me which of the 2 un-edited builds id choose, most likely the 2nd build. for the first build, once biggs goes down, luke is pretty much empty w/o any upgrades, making him relatively easier to take down, and wedge being wedge would take a lot of fire and go down rather quickly as well, despite all the R2D2 and shield upgrades and stuff. Hence, the second build is better in that it offers you the extra staying power. it is highly likely that Luke would be the last Xwing flying, and with that kind of evasion your opponent would need to have a lot of firepower left to wipe him. If he decides to take out luke at the start of the game, then wedge is kept alive much longer, which is a good thing as well. depending on how you go into the fight, you could make wedge less of a juicy target so more fire is directed towards Luke and the rookie

EDIT: what stuff do you have/not have? this would make it easier when suggesting edits to your builds. No point suggesting something like 3x PTL on everybody etc when you do not have that amount of stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up going with Wedge (swarm tactics, R2-D2, shield upgrade), Biggs (R2-F2, stealth device), and Garvin (stealth device).

Did really well in the first two rounds, but I lost to the overall tournament winner in the 3rd round. He flew Chewie and Lando. Just couldn't do enough damage...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.