Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently read the Leviathan trilogy by Scott Westerfeld, and one of my daughters and my wife followed suit. It is a steampunk story set at the outset of World War 1, in an alternate universe where both sides have science more advanced than in the real world: the Central Powers, or "Clankers", have large walking robotic vehicles, and the Allies are "Darwinists", with genetically engineered "fabrications". It's a great series by a great author.

Anyway, we strongly suspect that two of the factions in this first Smash Up expansion are inspired in part by the Leviathan trilogy. The Steampunk connection is obvious, but there is also the fact that one of the two protagonists is Deryn, a 15-year-old girl who is pretending to be a boy so she can be an airman like her father. Here she is on the cover of the third volume, with the other protagonist, an Austrian prince:

Also, in this series Russia's fabrications include gigantic fighting bears, which are ridden into battle. Here is an illustration of Daryn and another midshipman hanging from a large airship and getting ready to make a moving cargo pickup from the back of one of those bears:

Is it any wonder that we are reminded of these when we see the box art?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I've bever heard of that book.

The bears came from an old internet gag. The steampunks were just because a lot of people geek out on them.

That simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AEGTodd wrote:
Wow, I've bever heard of that book.

The bears came from an old internet gag. The steampunks were just because a lot of people geek out on them.

That simple.

Thanks, Todd. It wouldn't have bothered me if the answer were Yes -- I was just curious -- and it doesn't surprise me that the answer is No, despite the correspondences. It's funny how that works out sometimes.

But I was not aware of the old internet gag behind the Bear Cavalry. Could you give a reference about it, or at least describe the gag? The Bear Cavalry was the first faction that did not seem to be based on a well-known trope in fiction, and I'd like to know more about its background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickaël Garcin
France
Saint Ouen
Seine Saint Denis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.