Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the play video example of play and looks great. As i was watching i found myself worrying about the issue of runaway realm building where you end up with a gap in workers creating huge imbalance. Im hoping and guessing that some of the ever after and or dream cards address this by giving benefits to a player "with the least number of realms?"

For example, i could see an ever after card saying "each story you begin with the least number of awake realms, you gain x". Where x is some benefit like taking another players token, gaining magic, or something else.

Just a thought.

Should be intriguing game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with having a lot of realms is that you have to "feed" them with magic, if I remember correctly, at the end of the 3, 6, and 9th round. If you don't have enough magic, the realm goes to sleep and each round you take off a sleep token. A small realm needs 1 magic, a large needs 2 and an epic needs 3. Plus you pay magic in order from small to epic so you have to pay for small realms first and if you run out, your epic realm will be tied up for longer.

That feels balancing to me, but that's just a guess since I haven't played the game. But hopefully the designers will stop by and give you a concrete answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schreiber
United States
Waynesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Tolerance for ambiguity is the first step in maturity.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great discussion. Sarah's comments match my own expectations -- so I will be sure that Mark MacKinnon, the designer, makes it through here to add his perspective. He's been very active on the BGG forums so I am sure we'll here from him shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dyskami Publishing
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
tarheel wrote:
I watched the play video example of play and looks great. As i was watching i found myself worrying about the issue of runaway realm building where you end up with a gap in workers creating huge imbalance. Im hoping and guessing that some of the ever after and or dream cards address this by giving benefits to a player "with the least number of realms?"

For example, i could see an ever after card saying "each story you begin with the least number of awake realms, you gain x". Where x is some benefit like taking another players token, gaining magic, or something else.

Thanks for the suggestion, Brad. As others have mentioned, the Empower Realms action helps create the balance that you desire ... but there are other balance mechanics as well. For example, while one player has to spend their action to add or upgrade Realms, the other player is using their Fable to collect other benefits. Additionally, some Blessing/Curse cards in the expansion player pack specifically target the player with the greatest number of Realms directly.

Consequently, while building a large number of Realms is one path to victory, it certainly doesn't guarantee that victory since other players may forge their own more effective paths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penn Davies
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I played this a couple of weeks ago (hi, Mark). I was the fluke player who never managed to play a second Realm. It was really unlikely that I'd never draw a Small Realm card, but apparently it is possible.
Understandably I lost. However, the person with the most Realms certainly wasn't the winner, and I'm planning on buying the game so that I can have another go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dyskami Publishing
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick follow-up message about Realms.

We played an exciting 7-player game tonight and the person with the highest score (Paul) only had two Realms in play -- one Small and the other upgraded to an Epic. Every other player had 3-5 Realms, but Paul focused on collecting Wonders and Ever After cards with bonus points and ended up taking the win with a 5-point margin!

So it's clearly possible to win the game without just having a large number of Realms if you plan your strategies carefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.