Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heather Walters

Peninsula
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight I was lucky enough to get to play an early released copy of Viticulture. A member of our game club has an early released copy of the game. (Thanks Shayne!)

I am a huge fan of worker placement games in general, and this one is no different, in fact it is in a lot of ways superior to many I have played before.

First off, the bits are great! Tons of different shapes for each different building type. I love cool bits, but in a mediocre game they do not save it. Thankfully, this game needs no saving.

The mechanics are pretty easy to understand and logical. The game makes a lot of sense. In the spring you plant fields and have farm tours, in the fall you harvest, make wine, and deliver orders.

One of my issues with many worker placement games is that the "feeding" of workers at the end of each round can begin to feel like a chore. While your goals in this game are determined somewhat by luck (cards) you do feel like you have a lot of control, at least I did.

Our three player game ended 25 points (max), 25 points (max), and 2 points. The third player had less experience with this type of game and waited to long to start to harvest her grapes. I, on the other hand, got a bit lucky that my opponent was not drawing the correct cards for wine orders, so I was able to slip by (won with a tie breaker by having more money.)

So there is luck involved, which some people do not like, but I think as long as the luck element is manageable it can make games more fun, and I felt that the luck in this game was manageable.

You might say that is only because I won, but in reality I do not think so, because at the beginning of the game I was drawing just grapes that made white wines, and just orders for red wine! However, by forcing myself to the front of player order, by taking a penalty in that phase I was able to make moves that helped me catch up.

In the end I could have lost as easily as I won, but all in all I feel that it is a great game! I am looking forward to purchasing it once it is released!

Play it if you get a chance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lacey
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so frustrated I missed this on Kickstarter. Somebody introduced me to Kickstarter literally the day after this closed out. I'm so geeked to get this game. Just bottled a batch of Cab in real life, and I'm ready to start making wine in the game realm as well...without the levels of complexity that would turn my wife off (I'm looking at you Vinhos).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heather--Thanks for posting about my game! I love that two players finished with 25 points (money is the tiebreaker). I feel bad for the player who finished with 2 points--hopefully they'll get the hang of it the next time they play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh--The game should be available at FLGS everywhere (and online) in early June, and you can also pre-order it directly from us at www.stonemaiergames.com. There's a $5 discount if you sign up for our e-newsletter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Walters

Peninsula
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
I feel bad for the player who finished with 2 points--hopefully they'll get the hang of it the next time they play.

I felt bad for her too, but she really enjoyed the game and said she wants to play again, and got the order information from Shayne G (who was teaching the game), she focused on building buildings at the beginning and waited too long to start planting vines. But she had a good time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's good to hear--fun is my highest priority with any game. I admire her for going after an advanced strategy like that her first time playing, but I think she learned the hard way that you can't build ALL of the buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
That's good to hear--fun is my highest priority with any game. I admire her for going after an advanced strategy like that her first time playing, but I think she learned the hard way that you can't build ALL of the buildings.
Ah, what?! This game isn't about constructing buildings on your farm? No Cathedral, either I suppose. lol.

Really looking forward to this game. The fact that it is so different thmatically than other euros and the the gameplay looks solid. Thanks for the good review of it. It's definitely going to be one we play the day we get, come hell or high water... or work...

May can't get here soon enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeky_Farmer wrote:
So there is luck involved, which some people do not like, but I think as long as the luck element is manageable it can make games more fun, and I felt that the luck in this game was manageable.
And so it is with farming in general. It is not a controlled environment and things happen. You could call it luck but it is just reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Walters

Peninsula
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tallboy wrote:
Geeky_Farmer wrote:
And so it is with farming in general. It is not a controlled environment and things happen. You could call it luck but it is just reality.

Yep it sure is! I have 1,000 tomato plants waiting in my greenhouse to be planted, when last night's frost killed a few dozen of the 100 early ones we put in a month ago...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls