Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Hill
United Kingdom
newtownards
county down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be grateful if anyone could answer my query below.

This may be obvious to most. If both players have wizards the rules suggest the player with the initiative can attempt to cast a spell (which if successfull their opponent can try to dispell). Then their opponent can try to cast a spell. Is this the end of the magic phase, or can each player continue to cast spells until they have exhausted their hand or do not wish to cast a spell?

Thanks,
Stuart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one spell per turn is the max. Costliest Wizards have a hand of what, 6, I think, it would drag out the Magic Phase much more if they flung all those spells back and forth each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Hill
United Kingdom
newtownards
county down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers Rauli, that seems to make sense.

Stuart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the magic phase each player can try to cast 1 spell. If a spell suceeds and if the opposing player has the proper color, he may try to dispel it. Having a more powerful wizard gives you more spells to choose from, but not the ability to cast more spells during a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Hill
United Kingdom
newtownards
county down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carl, thanks for the response. That's the way I'll play it. Although in the summary sequence summarised on page 12 of the rule book it states:

"The player with the initiative cast whatever spells he is capable of...."

I think this should have stated:

"The player with the initiative may attempt to cast a spell...."

Although without a time machine it will be difficult to amend the rule books now (I wonder where Dr Cooper and the boys have left theirs)

Stuart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stuart_greyabbey wrote:
I'd be grateful if anyone could answer my query below.

This may be obvious to most. If both players have wizards the rules suggest the player with the initiative can attempt to cast a spell (which if successfull their opponent can try to dispell). Then their opponent can try to cast a spell. Is this the end of the magic phase, or can each player continue to cast spells until they have exhausted their hand or do not wish to cast a spell?

Thanks,
Stuart

You have it right.

Each side's wizard casts one spell (in order of initiative) and if successful, the enemy player may attempt to dispel it.

That being said, a cool optional rule would be to allow players to "upgrade" the most powerful wizards (200pt) to allow a 2nd spell casting attempt each turn in lieu of moving a ship or squadron. This attempt would be made at -1 due to the draining of the wizard's powers from the earlier spell at the beginning of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.