United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a basketball follower, but the local news is full of the injury suffered by Kobe Bryant in tonight's game.

If it is a ruptured Achilles, he's done for the season and postseason.

How will the Lakers make it into the playoffs? And how will they do if they do make it?

This looks like a job for...

Will he finally become the leader the Lakers had hoped he would be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
A ruptured achilles takes 10-12 months to recover from. If that indeed is the injury we're looking at the latter part of next season before he returns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
b a n j o wrote:
In all likelihood, if it's a torn Achilles, his career is done. He'll miss most, if not all, of next season. So what are we looking at - 2015 at the age of 36? Game Over.

Not to mention his contract with the Lakers is only through next season. If he spends most or all of next season recovering from injury, what team out there, including the Lakers, is going to sign him to the money he's going to want, or more importantly, the money his agent is going to insist on?

From a business perspective, the Lakers are screwed. I think theright thing to do for the franchise would have been to trade Kobe away a couple seasons ago when he had value that could have generated building blocks for the future through the draft. Now what do the Lakers have? They're going to pay Kobe 32 Million dollars for what? Then again, I still feel that Kobe's issues are the least of the Laker's concerns with D'Antoni at the helm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lakers have not used their amnesty yet. They could use it on Kobe. They would have to release him and still pay him but he would not count against the cap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Magic fan, I laugh at the notion of Howard being a leader. The current player wearing #12 for the Magic has more leadership in this lost season that Howard ever did.

Also, even though I highly dislike Kobe as a person and respect him as a basketball player and also hate the Lakers, I still feel bad for him and the team's fans. Well, other than the many bandwagon fans. I don't feel bad for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm proud of what the Lakers accomplished while they were in Minneapolis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the most callous of fans would celebrate this situation. However you feel about his ego, his personal judgment, or the arrogance of much of his public persona, Kobe is a first-ballot Hall of Famer. The man wins games, series, and titles. He will be mentioned forever among the all-time Laker greats, and may well be the greatest player of his generation.

Not that it makes me like him any better. I'm a Portlander. Hating the Lakers is in my DNA. But I still would much rather see him go out on his own terms than have his career end like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Only the most callous of fans would celebrate this situation. However you feel about his ego, his personal judgment, or the arrogance of much of his public persona...

What about the rapey stuff?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a Laker fan at all or a Kobe fan but it's a damn shame about Kobe, though.

I believe he will be back. That is who he is. His drive and determination will not let him end his career like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
There is 0 chance this will end his career. He is too driven and competitive to let his career end this way.

Business-wise, it would be a good idea for the Lakers to amnesty his contract and save about $60 million in luxury tax, but public relations-wise, that would be a disaster.

I think the Lakers will make the playoffs, and lose to OKC in 5. Keep D12, Pau, and Nash together for one more run, banking on Kobe to be back after the All-Star break next season and let's see what can happen.

But please, for the love of the Lakers, let Pau play out of the post. No more of this "twenty-feet-from-the-basket" bullshit from D'Antoni.

And if that fails, fire D'Antoni and hire 1984 Pat Riley and dust off 1980 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and 1987 James Worthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Only the most callous of fans would celebrate this situation. However you feel about his ego, his personal judgment, or the arrogance of much of his public persona...

What about the rapey stuff?

IUPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Although I'm still primarily a Spurs fan, Kobe's been my favorite player since the early part of his rookie season. I just saw something in his face/game whenever he came off the bench. It's been a fun ride. Big disappointment that he won't get that final shot after the year he had, but he's fortunate to have been able to have so many opportunities up until now.

That said, Kobe or no Kobe, the Lakers chances ended when OKC took over the top seed from SAS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I hate to admit it, I don't think it matters who makes the playoffs. It's hard to imagine anyone beating the Heat this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
There goes the Lakers chance of not being swept.

Quote:
As much as I hate to admit it, I don't think it matters who makes the playoffs. It's hard to imagine anyone beating the Heat this year.
The Heat are good, but OKC and the Spurs can do it. With the way Duncan has been playing this year, they can not be counted out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't care less about the Lakers - I still hope they'll loose the final game and Utah will get its (rightful) place in the playoffs.

However ...

1. Kobe will be back - as said above he is too competitive to finish his career. At the age of 36 he should be still good for 10-15 pts/game. It will happen, unless his injury turns out more serious than expected.

2. Lakers face a huge dilemma, what to do with his contract. I guess they will contact Kobe and talk about lowering his contract (they can use the amnesty clause and then resign him). But if he won't agree, they won't do anything ... and will be screwed for the next 2-3 years

3. They should fire D'Antoni as soon as they play their final game this season.

4. They should amnesty Nash (won't happen, but it should happen). He was signed solely to get the championship, and it won't happen without Kobe and with this roster.

5. They should trade Gasol for a young, upcoming player, future star.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lakers are screwed and the Magic got the best out of the Dwight trade. What's funny is everyone thought that them keeping Gasol was a great move, but now they've got all their money tied in 3 players who are either broken or old (or both.)

Even if they make the playoffs, they are pretty much done in the first round. Kobe won them a ton of games this year, despite his normal ballhogging style. Yes, they just beat the beat up and not really caring too much at this moment Spurs, but the Playoffs are a different thing.

Dwight has played well right now, but he still isn't the same as he was before and good teams know how to defend him. He's not going to be throwing passes to the best 3 point shooters in the league (I think I would say that would Lebron now, he's surrounded by so many good shooters it's insane.)

I know this is a rambling post, but I can't help to ramble in delight when thinking about the demise of the Lakers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Dave wrote:
That said, Kobe or no Kobe, the Lakers chances ended when OKC took over the top seed from SAS.

Okay, I did *not* foresee them overtaking the Rockets! That #7 seed is intriguing and now I'm really missing Kobe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dave wrote:
Dave wrote:

Okay, I did *not* foresee them overtaking the Rockets! That #7 seed is intriguing and now I'm really missing Kobe.
That's because the Rockets are pretty bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NBAfan wrote:
Dave wrote:
Dave wrote:

That's because the Rockets are pretty bad.

They are terribly defensive right now, but they have a great future. They have a lot of good young players and plenty of cap room for the next 2 years. Making the playoffs in a tough conference is a good step in the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
SVan wrote:
Making the playoffs in a tough conference is a good step in the right direction.

I guess I have never been impressed with reaching the playoffs as a goal in the NBA or NHL. They let in more than half the league in the NBA, and consistently teams that can't manage to even win half their games make the playoffs.

I'm much more impressed with playoff teams in the NFL and MLB particularly. You have to have a damn good team to make the playoffs in MLB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
frumpish wrote:
You have to have a damn good team to make the playoffs in MLB.

Baseball is too random; keeping the playoff draw small rewards regular season success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I'm much more impressed with playoff teams in the NFL and MLB particularly. You have to have a damn good team to make the playoffs in MLB.

There have been some truly mediocre teams who made it into the MLB postseason by winning a division where the other teams were worse. Some have even gone on to make, and win, the World Series. As have some teams who didn't even win their divisions.

But up until 1969 only one team in each league made the postseason unless there had to be a one-game or three-game playoff for a league championship. And winning the pennant was for many fans an even bigger deal than winning the World Series. There were still some pretty mediocre pennant winners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.