Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When making their second momentum advance (i.e., after a successful bonus Close Combat that eliminates or forces the enemy unit to retreat), can cavalry move up to two hexes (as with their first momentum advance) or just a single hex?

Thanks,

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kellen Kooistra
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the rules state, and I don't have them in front of me, so I'll have to double check, that you can take a second momentum advance but not a second bonus combat. As the Cavalry momentum advance lets them move up to two hexes, it would seem that the cavalry unit could move two hexes in both of their momentum advances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Adey
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 13: A unit, on a successful bonus Close Combat that eliminates or forces the enemy unit to retreat from the hex, may advance onto the vacated hex, but it may not battle again this turn.

So a unit can battle, momentum advance, battle again, and momentum advnace yet again, but NOT battle a thrid time during an order.

I think that`s the right interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree they definitely can't battle a second time, but the second advance could be either one or two hexes... not clear in the rules, at least not to me. My interpretation is that the second advance can only be one hex, but its just an interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
bkindt wrote:
My interpretation is that the second advance can only be one hex, but its just an interpretation.

I looked over at ConsimWorld for additional comments and did find an example from GMT: http://tinyurl.com/bxhyu (Message #668 in the C&C:A Folder) which says in part:

Quote:
We’ll start with the Heavy Cavalry. They’re going to attack back towards their line against the Roman Medium Infantry. They get to roll 5 dice - 4 for their unit capability plus 1 for the Charge. They will hit on Crossed Swords (applies in Close Combat), Blue Triangles (the symbol for Medium units - the target unit), and Leader symbols as they have a leader stacked with them; banners will cause retreats. The rolls are 3 crossed swords, 1 blue triangle, and 1 banner which is 4 hits and kills the entire Roman unit. It is removed and the Seleucids gain their first Victory banner. Since the Seleucids are cavalry, they can momentum advance then move 1 hex and battle again. They will advance and then move back into the same hex they were in, but this allows them to battle again. The new target will be Roman Heavy infantry unit. They roll five dice again. This time they hit on leaders, crossed swords, and red boxes (the symbol for heavy units). The new roll is 2 leaders, 2 banners, and 1 green circle (light unit symbol). Two blocks are removed for the hits. The Roman unit is adjacent to two other friendly units so it has Support and can ignore one banner which it will do. It still has to retreat one hex and moves back to the map edge. If they hadn’t been supported, they would have had to retreat a second hex which would have been off the board. Since units don’t retreat off the board, the unit would have lost one additional block. The Seleucid cavalry can now advance and move 1 hex again but it can not battle again. You can only gain 1 momentum battle per turn. Therefore, they will remain where they are.

As the same terminology is used both both times: advance and move 1 hex I would conclude the Cavalry advance is the same after Close Combat and after Bonus Close Combat...advance to vacated hex and move 1 additional hex (if desired).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
And the current thinking on CSW from GMT: http://tinyurl.com/8pcfv

Quote:
I agree with Tony on the Cav Momentum Close Combat Advance - they are like all units and only get the one hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Borg
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Q. When making their second momentum advance (i.e., after a successful bonus Close Combat that eliminates or forces the enemy unit to retreat), can cavalry move up to two hexes (as with their first momentum advance) or just a single hex?

A. No
A unit, on a successful bonus Close Combat that eliminates or forces the enemy unit to retreat from the hex, may advance onto the vacated hex, but it may not battle again this turn (page 13). Key words here are "may advance onto the vacated hex".

Richard Borg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.