Dungeon Roll» Forums » Variants

Subject: Treasure Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan The Meek

Peoria
Arizona
msg tools
First let me show my proposed treasures and then I'll explain the reasoning, noting that I could easily come up with some more unique and advanced treasure effects, but I'm trying to keep things simple and similar to what the game already has.

Format:
Name (number of treasure in chest) - [value] : Effect

Old Boot (1) - [0] : None
Sword (2) - [0] : May be used as a fighter party die
Staff (2) - [0] : May be used as a wizard party die
Lock Pick (2) - [0] : May be used as a thief party die
Cross (2) - [0] : May be used as a cleric party die
Scroll (2) - [0] : May be used as a scroll party die
Town Portal (4) - [1] : Collect experience tokens equal to the level die -1. The delve is over.
Dragon Meat (4) - [0] : Changes all monster on the current dungeon level into dragon faces.
Invisibility Ring (4) - [1] : Skip fighting the dragon, but you get no bonuses associated with normally killing the dragon.
Gilded Sword (1) - [1] : May be used as a fighter party die
Ruby Staff (1) - [1] : May be used as a wizard party die
Silver Lock Pick (1) - [1] : May be used as a thief party die
Gold Cross (1) - [1] : May be used as a cleric party die
Ancient Scroll (1) - [1] : May be used as a scroll party die
Dragon Scales (6) - [1] : For every 2 you have, get +1 score at the end of the game.
Immense Treasure (1) - [2] : None

So the theory is simply to add more variety to the potential value of the treasure you get, and therein both make it harder to gauge how well (or poorly) your doing just by counting your opponents treasure pieces, but also to add more of a bluffing aspect to the game, where putting on a huge fake Cheshire cat grin when you pull the old boot from the chest may end up tricking your opponent who was actually a point a head of you to push his luck one floor too deep on the misconception you pulled something far more valuable. I also, just in general, am not a big fan of all treasure having at least some value, and think it might be nice to have about half the "treasure" actually have no end game value, pushing players to want to actually use the items more (as they provide no other benefit) while still having "valued" versions of most of the items as well.

In the end, my main goal is really to further give players who are behind hope, both through not truly knowing how behind they are, and in the hope that that next chest might just contain the immense treasure. Anyway, this just another idea I've been playing around with, not quite sure how I feel about it yet but thought I'd share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I'm understanding this. Several of the new treasures have the exact described effects as current treasures. To me, that makes the game more confusing because there are more icons to remember for the same benefits.

I'm not understanding the improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmreed wrote:
I don't think I'm understanding this. Several of the new treasures have the exact described effects as current treasures. To me, that makes the game more confusing because there are more icons to remember for the same benefits.

I'm not understanding the improvement.

Some of the treasures have the same function - but no end-game value. I beleive the thought process is to encourage people to use them, instead of saving them - and also to create a little more variety in worth.

A few thoughts:

1) My concern with such a system is that it takes away (or lessens) any decision. That is, if the "treasure" you fought for is in effect useless - there is no reason not to use it. On the flipside, the immense treasure has no use and is worth 3 - no decision there either.

2) With treasure ranging in value from 0-3 (a 4 point range), you are drastically increasing the amount of randomness. I'm not sure I love the idea of increasing randomness in a game that is a dice game (and therefore has a decent amount already)

3) I beleive Chris and/or Michael have commented that they had actually play tested 3 point treasures and found them too powerful. hence the current "1/2, 1 or 2" point system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan The Meek

Peoria
Arizona
msg tools
Love the replies so far. Greg more or less was spot on, as well as in regards to some of his concerns. Three points is seeming to be a bit too much and I'm not going to argue with the findings of Chris and Michael so I've already edited it down to value 2, which under my current system still makes it the most valuable treasure in the game. I also changed the town portal to be a value of 1 but give -1 exp, making it less valuable then in the normal game but once again still a decision as to whether or not to keep delving further since there's now an actual net loss to the player who uses it like in the normal game. The reason I went this route, rather then leave it at value 2 as in the regular game is I felt like the town portal was just too good, if a cards going to have that much value it shouldn't be that useful as a usable item as well, but at the same time I felt making it a mindless item you just always use if you have was counter productive as well.

I do have some concerns as well that this is adding a little more randomness to an already pretty random game, but so far I've felt the increased use of treasures, slightly increased feeling of "Am I in the lead, or behind, I'm not sure" when decided whether to delve deeper on your final delve, and the increased emphasize on determining if your opponent just hasn't touched that treasure all game because its a dragon scale, or because its actually the boot or immense treasure, has been positive enough to be worth while. Then again, I love bluffing aspects in games, and this variant is still very early in testing, so I can definitely understand why some might not find this variant to their liking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.