Subject: BGBTB Auckland: Martin Wallace, Math Trade, And Much More! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Board Games By The Bay is arriving in Auckland in just 4 weeks’ time!

What: Board Games By The Bay – Auckland
Where: Auckland Bridge Club, 273 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland
When: 11-12 May, 2013 (10 AM to 10 PM Saturday and 10 AM to 6 PM Sunday)
How Much: $10 per person per day, or $15 for the weekend by purchasing through the website. Attendees 12 years and under can enter for free, but they must be accompanied by an adult.

Historically the biggest BGBTB event on the calendar, Auckland will feature all the gaming goodness of previous events: a great place to play games, prizes to be won, and games for sale at below internet prices.

In addition to the above, we’ll also have a few other things that will make this a weekend to remember:

Martin Wallace – The award winning designer (London, Discworld: Ankh-Morpork, Brass, Automobile, Steam, and many more) has confirmed he’ll be at our Auckland event. If you want a game autographed, if you want to playtest one of his designs, or if you just want to meet a world famous designer, this is your chance!

Martin Wallace signing a game at BGBTB Tauranga 2013.

Math Trade – After the suggestion was raised in February for us to run a math trade, we’ve decided to take the plunge. The entire trade will be based on site, meaning you don’t have to be a member of a website to make it happen – just bring along your unwanted games on Saturday morning and you might walk away with something better!

Not sure what a math trade is? In short, it’s a way to trade a game you no longer want for someone else’s game that you do want. A more detailed explanation can be found here.

Much More – As with recent events, we’ll have prizes to give away, plus promos, food and drink on offer, games for sale at discounted prices, and a library of gaming goodness for all attendees. We also have a couple of other ideas in mind to sweeten the deal!Not sure if your favourite game in your collection will be there? Bring it along and add it to the playing pool!

We’ll be using a giant dice for giveaways. (Child not included!)

And to top it all off, gaming will last for 4 more hours than last year, with Saturday night staying open until 10pm! That’s 20 hours in all!

For more details or to secure your earlybird discount, head on over to the BGBTB event page here. You can also keep up to date by joining our BGG guild.

Get your tickets today!

(Can't make it to Auckland? We have upcoming events in Hamilton and Palmerston North, too!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Douglas
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
badge
Destroyers RULE and Battleships DROOL!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my game he's signing! Thanks again David and Martin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Markley
New Zealand
Auckland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a great day yesterday. Great venue, well organised, excellent game library and really good turn out. Excellent event

My only suggestion would be that there needs to be some game teachers available especially for the newer games in the library. I played four games and basically ended up teaching all of them. I would have liked to learn one or two of the new games I saw there, but just not the right thing to do to sit down and try and figure it out yourself - especially with a bunch of strangers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent Event. Stunning venue, amazing selections of games, and some (or should I say LOADS of) stunning prizes!

Big thanks to the organisers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fensedge wrote:
I had a great day yesterday. Great venue, well organised, excellent game library and really good turn out. Excellent event

My only suggestion would be that there needs to be some game teachers available especially for the newer games in the library. I played four games and basically ended up teaching all of them. I would have liked to learn one or two of the new games I saw there, but just not the right thing to do to sit down and try and figure it out yourself - especially with a bunch of strangers.

Thanks for the feedback, Robert. I'm glad you really enjoyed yourself!

The teaching side of things has definitely been quite ad hoc and we do want to formalise how this can be done so people like yourself don't feel stranded. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madboyo wrote:
Excellent Event. Stunning venue, amazing selections of games, and some (or should I say LOADS of) stunning prizes!

Big thanks to the organisers.

Thanks, boyo! See you at a future event, no doubt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian White
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent weekend's event, even if I was only able to make it on the Saturday. Great to see such a large venue packed with keen gamers, old and young.

I'd like to second Rob's point. There were a few official-types doing the rounds proudly sporting SB's livery, and I managed to play a few games with Justin. Would it be a simple matter to extend these 'gaming ambassadors' roles to include teaching new games? Complete with 'Learn a new game now: ask me how!' t-shirt?

Ah, to be paid to play board games all day. Where do I sign up?

Thanks again for organising this, and I really hope it was worth your time to do so. Looking forward to the next event!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a great time also. I love the new venue, the fact that there was reasonably inexpensive food, the HUGE games library, the maths trade (even though I didn't participate - my collection isn't large enough to give anything away!) etc. Oh, the name tags. I don't remember whether there were name tags last year, but I really appreciated that. No difficulty remembering people's names when I have seen them written down, and a quick peek at their name tag if I forgot... I did see someone wearing a name tag that they shouldn't have though: they know who they are

I managed to successfully teach a few games that I had only played once, and people were willing to put up with my constant rule clarification questions when teaching me. I'm surprised to read that people felt like it was difficult to find people to teach new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a really good time too. I like a good balance of gaming and good conversation, which is exactly what I got. My brain was on overload by 10pm on Saturday, what a great feeling.

Saturday was really humming with activity, the location was really flexible for all types of game and I never had trouble hearing the person next to me because the place had noise soaking up carpet!!

I got taught a few new games (including one I got in the maths trade, no rulebook ready yay for me laugh) and also taught one myself. Was interesting to play a prototype a week after playing it for the first time and just a few rules tweaks made such a positive difference to the tension in the game.

Good thing I brought along Tzolk'in because that kept getting borrowed all through the weekend.

Another positive for me, but maybe not for David, I successfully made it through the weekend without spending money on a new board game (they were really shiny). My friends will agree my to-be-played pile needs to be reduced quite a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stokes
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with everything said so far, it was a fantastic weekend.

Played some new games, some I've played once or twice before, and a couple of old favourites. I never never had a problem with teaching games or being taught new ones, but could see the benefit of having people able to teach rules available. I'd imagine that's difficult to provide with such a big library of games, though!

The Math Trade was great, I really liked having it in that format, where we did everything on the day and could see all the games before choosing what we wanted. I got a pimped copy of Power Grid out of it, which is a game I've wanted to play for a long time. Can't wait to try it.

Biggest revelation for me was Love Letter, which I was terrible at but enjoyed immensely. Will definitely be picking it up ASAP.

But the highlight of the weekend has to be our win at Space Cadets, something I doubted would ever be possible. Well done team!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Markley
New Zealand
Auckland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify the teaching aspect - likewise no problem for me teaching games and yes great atmosphere with lots of people welcoming others onto their tables to learn new games.

But the issue for me was - quite a few games on the table I would have liked to learn and no one around who knew it e.g. would have loved to learn Robinson Crusoe but too daunting to self teach with a bunch of people all in the same boat (a shipwrecked one). With older games there are lots of people who can teach - but the new games in the library were probably under utilised for this reason. From Seriously Board's point of view chances are it was the new titles that would sell best too?

Damien - great suggestion having with few people with 'Game Teacher' tee shirts

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this for an idea in regards to the teaching required for desired game.

At the Juggling Convention there are no pre-organised workshops, rather people write on the board that is separated by location if they want to teach a workshop.

How about a similar thing for BGBTB, say identify 3 - 4 tables/locations that are set aside for organised teaching games. I will have to think about the actual logistics of it but maybe it could set out as the following:

Location 1 Location 2 etc
Time: Morning/Arvo/evening (in grid)
Game Name:
Teacher:
No. of Players:
Players: Include name of teacher here/or not depending on teacher.

This way if someone is desperate to learn a game they write their interest and hope a teacher comes along. Also even if the game is full others can still listen to the rules explaination.

I know the above idea isn't fully fleshed out but give me a few days and I will figure it out in such a way that will be workable (and easy). I've only just had the lightbulb moment and need to get back to my job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea, Louise. Almost sounds like taking the mathtrade "lists" idea and modifying it to suit:

Games I can teach
Games I would like to learn

or something like that. Then it's just a matchmaking exercise...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me as another who had a fantastic time - but I also like the ideas that are coming out here regarding game 'teachers'. I stepped in to help a group who were just starting to set up Tzolkin, and got the rules explained and helped them with the first round of play - then left them to it. There were games there I would have liked to play myself (Robinson was one) that I didn't want to spend half an hour (or more) struggling through the rules.

A potential problem with Louise's otherwise great idea is the fact that people would effectively be making an 'appointment' to play the game at a later specific time - but that means all the people involved need to be free at that time, which with all the different games going on is pretty damn hard. (as we have seen before with trying to organise 'dance cards' of games to play.)

I like the approach they take at Wellycon, which is to have someone rostered on the whole time (2 hours at a time) to help people find games to play and teach as required. I would be happy to put my hand up for that - putting aside a couple of hours. Of course I wouldn't be of any help to anyone wanting to play Robinson, or many of the other specific games on the table (!!) but there are plenty there I would be able to teach.

I guess there are two different issues here - (1) people who are looking to play anything but don't know where to start and (2) more experienced players wanting to try the new Hotness. (2) needs 'teachers' who know the specific game in question, where (1) needs 'teachers' who can teach a broad range of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DNAmers wrote:
An excellent weekend's event, even if I was only able to make it on the Saturday. Great to see such a large venue packed with keen gamers, old and young.

I'd like to second Rob's point. There were a few official-types doing the rounds proudly sporting SB's livery, and I managed to play a few games with Justin. Would it be a simple matter to extend these 'gaming ambassadors' roles to include teaching new games? Complete with 'Learn a new game now: ask me how!' t-shirt?

Ah, to be paid to play board games all day. Where do I sign up?

Thanks again for organising this, and I really hope it was worth your time to do so. Looking forward to the next event!

Thanks, Damian. I agree that there was a fantastic age range of gamers. I really enjoyed seeing some of life’s veterans hunkering down to play a board game with younger folk and having a ball.

There are lots of things we can do to improve, and making it more clear that staff are available to teach is definitely one of those.

A professional playtester? I could do that! (Heck, I’d happily be Martin Wallace’s lackey if it paid the bills!)

See you in November, if you can’t make it to Hamilton in July or Palmy in September! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kactus04 wrote:
Had a great time also. I love the new venue, the fact that there was reasonably inexpensive food, the HUGE games library, the maths trade (even though I didn't participate - my collection isn't large enough to give anything away!) etc. Oh, the name tags. I don't remember whether there were name tags last year, but I really appreciated that. No difficulty remembering people's names when I have seen them written down, and a quick peek at their name tag if I forgot... I did see someone wearing a name tag that they shouldn't have though: they know who they are

I managed to successfully teach a few games that I had only played once, and people were willing to put up with my constant rule clarification questions when teaching me. I'm surprised to read that people felt like it was difficult to find people to teach new games.

Glad you enjoyed it! Name tags turned up in a basic form late last year for Tauranga. This year, we got a proper business card design done for them so they actually look semi-decent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rhianna_ wrote:
I had a really good time too. I like a good balance of gaming and good conversation, which is exactly what I got. My brain was on overload by 10pm on Saturday, what a great feeling.

Saturday was really humming with activity, the location was really flexible for all types of game and I never had trouble hearing the person next to me because the place had noise soaking up carpet!!

I got taught a few new games (including one I got in the maths trade, no rulebook ready yay for me laugh) and also taught one myself. Was interesting to play a prototype a week after playing it for the first time and just a few rules tweaks made such a positive difference to the tension in the game.

Good thing I brought along Tzolk'in because that kept getting borrowed all through the weekend.

Another positive for me, but maybe not for David, I successfully made it through the weekend without spending money on a new board game (they were really shiny). My friends will agree my to-be-played pile needs to be reduced quite a lot.

Haha, as long as we’re providing a great atmosphere for gaming, we’re happy! And yes, the carpet made a huge difference! *wipes brow*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mupdan wrote:
Agree with everything said so far, it was a fantastic weekend.

Played some new games, some I've played once or twice before, and a couple of old favourites. I never never had a problem with teaching games or being taught new ones, but could see the benefit of having people able to teach rules available. I'd imagine that's difficult to provide with such a big library of games, though!

The Math Trade was great, I really liked having it in that format, where we did everything on the day and could see all the games before choosing what we wanted. I got a pimped copy of Power Grid out of it, which is a game I've wanted to play for a long time. Can't wait to try it.

Biggest revelation for me was Love Letter, which I was terrible at but enjoyed immensely. Will definitely be picking it up ASAP.

But the highlight of the weekend has to be our win at Space Cadets, something I doubted would ever be possible. Well done team!

Love Letter was immensely popular. It’s really simple to play, but lots of fun, is highly portable, and it‘s at a great price point. Who would’ve thought such a great game could be designed with 16 cards?

We were blown away by the level of interest in the math trade. I was expecting 30 lots at the outside, so to get 59 was awesome, and 24 trades was a great result!

Thanks again for those promos you offered up – they were really popular! Did you get many/any back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fensedge wrote:
Just to clarify the teaching aspect - likewise no problem for me teaching games and yes great atmosphere with lots of people welcoming others onto their tables to learn new games.

But the issue for me was - quite a few games on the table I would have liked to learn and no one around who knew it e.g. would have loved to learn Robinson Crusoe but too daunting to self teach with a bunch of people all in the same boat (a shipwrecked one). With older games there are lots of people who can teach - but the new games in the library were probably under utilised for this reason. From Seriously Board's point of view chances are it was the new titles that would sell best too?

Damien - great suggestion having with few people with 'Game Teacher' tee shirts

Rob

Ah, yes, that’s clearly an error on our part for not making it clear that people could ask for a helping hand. There were, for example, two members of staff, (myself included), who have played Robinson Crusoe and would have been happy to teach. Would a designated area for teaching/learning work? As in, you want to learn Robinson Crusoe, so you pick it up from the library and take it over to a table designated for learning. Someone sees you need a helping hand because of the table you’re at, and they come over and teach the game. That’s the solution I’d initially look at putting in place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stokes
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:
Thanks again for those promos you offered up – they were really popular! Did you get many/any back?

Got a few back, all for the games I'd never heard of before! No surprises there then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rhianna_ wrote:
How about this for an idea in regards to the teaching required for desired game.

At the Juggling Convention there are no pre-organised workshops, rather people write on the board that is separated by location if they want to teach a workshop.

How about a similar thing for BGBTB, say identify 3 - 4 tables/locations that are set aside for organised teaching games. I will have to think about the actual logistics of it but maybe it could set out as the following:

Location 1 Location 2 etc
Time: Morning/Arvo/evening (in grid)
Game Name:
Teacher:
No. of Players:
Players: Include name of teacher here/or not depending on teacher.

This way if someone is desperate to learn a game they write their interest and hope a teacher comes along. Also even if the game is full others can still listen to the rules explaination.

I know the above idea isn't fully fleshed out but give me a few days and I will figure it out in such a way that will be workable (and easy). I've only just had the lightbulb moment and need to get back to my job!

In my experiences of running events, as well as stage management and other roles in live events, I know that the less effort that is required for a process, the more likely people will buy into it. I also know that with board gaming in particular, schedules and appointments rarely work because game lengths can vary not just from title to title, but from play to play.

I do like the idea of a designated area, though. I’d be looking to do that for not just teaching/learning, but also for gamers looking for other players. The key is to keep it casual. Pick up a game, plonk it down on a learning table, and a teacher will be on hand to help you out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
Count me as another who had a fantastic time - but I also like the ideas that are coming out here regarding game 'teachers'. I stepped in to help a group who were just starting to set up Tzolkin, and got the rules explained and helped them with the first round of play - then left them to it. There were games there I would have liked to play myself (Robinson was one) that I didn't want to spend half an hour (or more) struggling through the rules.

A potential problem with Louise's otherwise great idea is the fact that people would effectively be making an 'appointment' to play the game at a later specific time - but that means all the people involved need to be free at that time, which with all the different games going on is pretty damn hard. (as we have seen before with trying to organise 'dance cards' of games to play.)

I like the approach they take at Wellycon, which is to have someone rostered on the whole time (2 hours at a time) to help people find games to play and teach as required. I would be happy to put my hand up for that - putting aside a couple of hours. Of course I wouldn't be of any help to anyone wanting to play Robinson, or many of the other specific games on the table (!!) but there are plenty there I would be able to teach.

I guess there are two different issues here - (1) people who are looking to play anything but don't know where to start and (2) more experienced players wanting to try the new Hotness. (2) needs 'teachers' who know the specific game in question, where (1) needs 'teachers' who can teach a broad range of games.

Glad you enjoyed it, Jason. We (staff) really need to stop reacting when you guys win something – you’ll start thinking you aren’t welcome!

The library is definitely in a state of constant growth, and that was with the majority of CJ’s games in storage, so we actually had a lot less than we could have. It does mean that not everyone on staff will know every game that people want to learn. I’m definitely open to the idea of teachers who have a knowledge of a vast range of games helping out here and there just to get people started. I’ll add it to the debrief agenda.

As for people not knowing where to start, that’s when staff can find someone who looks lost and get them gaming quickly. I know that happened a few times on the weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian White
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might it be possible to associate a staff member with a particular game, even if only for a day, a morning, or a few hours per day?

Set aside an area for learning/teaching games. On each table, have a particular game setup, with a range of player handouts etc, so that a given recent release lives at that table for the day. You could even have a little sign showing the game's designated instructor, so perspective players know who to approach if they're interested in playing. If designated instructors change -- i.e. tag out -- over the course of the day, simply change the person associated with the game.

Of course, this may stretch your staff numbers somewhat ... it was great having SB staff wandering around, and joining games where needed. Maybe you could recruit instructors, and give them free entry if they're willing to instruct for half a day or so?

Bring on Hamilton in July. Being out of town will mean less home distractions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:

Glad you enjoyed it, Jason. We (staff) really need to stop reacting when you guys win something – you’ll start thinking you aren’t welcome!

That reminds me - my name wasn't drawn out this time - where do I make my complaint? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Wood
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The math trade is a great idea. Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the event due to a twice a year work project but I did give my games to a friend to take along with a big as list as possible of things that I would trade for but unfortunately none of the them were there so I missed out. Hopefully I'll have more luck in Hamilton (assuming there is another one in Hamilton) or maybe in the planned national one I heard mentioned.

On another note...my experience with past bgbtb events is similar to others in that there are lots of games I want to play for the first time but I don't want the whole table to have never played them before. The experience is infinitely better if there is someone at the table who can teach everyone.

For example I notice that several people would have liked to have played Robinson Crusoe. The Rulebook for that game is very convoluted and in my opinion having the FAQ on hand is a mandatory requirement. Learning that game from someone who knows how to play is infinitely better. I would be happy to teach people how to play RC or any game. Especially if they were to reciprocate and teach me games that I want to learn. Perhaps it's possible to pair people in some way they can play consecutive games and teach each other. One of my primary reason for going to bgthb is to learn games. If the requirement for me to be taught new games is in turn to teach others what they want to learn then I would consider that a great bargain and would sign up to that every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.