United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're putting the finishing touches on Tooth & Nail: Factions 2.0.

Tooth & Nail: Factions 2.0 will be available exclusively from drivethrucards.com

However, players already owning Tooth & Nail: Factions will be able to download a print and play patch for their copy of the game, if they wish to play the game using the new 2.0 ruleset..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How extensive are the changes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconded. What's different about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nivet
Ireland
Cork City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thirded, will there be new cards or just paste-ups?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DETAILS!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested! Revised rules and cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet. Subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j clowdus
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some of the things that are changing:

Actions/Drawing changed
Blocking added
The way the command zone/abilities are handled has changed
Faction Command Cards have changed (the way they are used, as well as the content on some cards)
Card counts/faction selection has changed
The 2.0 rules are intended for 2 player games only

We took in all of the feedback from the game, both positive and negative, and reworked a lot of the game. The end result is still a fast paced, 2 player card battling game that feels like Tooth & Nail, however, it's much more dynamic and less mechanical feeling than the first version.

If you already have the game, you'll be able to download a print and play packet that will make it able to play the game using the new rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs up for leaving no game behind.thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for working on the game. It did lack something and my friends didn't warm up to it very much. Hope the changes will improve the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great news! I hope this will fix the issue with Enrodenta+Pride steamrollering most other faction combos. I was also having some issues finalizing a 1-player variant to the game and will hold off now to see what sort of rules changes are in the mix.

Of course even better news would be to have an expansion with some new factions, contained in a larger box to fit the new cards. Did someone mention Shark Faction? whistle

Seriously though, it is this sort of attention to detail that keeps me buying everything offered by Small Box Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wait is killing me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j clowdus
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's killing us, too!

We've got a lot of different things in the pot right now. Sadly, a kink in a project that should have already been completed has sort of backed everything up. Getting everything right with that has our full attention at the moment. However, getting this ruleset polished and released to you guys is not far down the line on our "to-do" list.

I know you guys have been waiting around for news on this, so I'll spill a bit more. While the following is a more detailed explanation of the changes, it's still just a brief overview. There are only 3 Troop cards that currently exist that will need to be errated. Sadly, at this point, the Dogs of War do not fit into this new ruleset.

- The Faction Command Cards have been revamped and work differently.
(Each card still has a Formation attack and Faction Ability)

- Each Faction will include 12 cards (2 copies of each existing Troop)

- At the beginning of each game, each player drafts 3 Factions, forming
a 36 card deck

- A player receives 2 actions and draws 2 cards at the beginning of his
turn

- Cards placed in the Command Zone are placed face down. These still
generate actions/cards, but may also be used to block non-formation
attacks, of course, blocking attacks destroys the card and only an
non-drained Command Card can block, and Command Cards will also serve
other purposes/provide more mechanics

- Formation Attacks require 1 Troop of the appropriate Faction, and an
additional unit(s) of the indicated type

- Every action, except for Faction Command Faction Abilities, require 1
Action Point to use

- When a card's ability is used, the card is removed from the game,
however, each player may use 1 ability each turn for free

There are other changes, and I'm sure the changes noted above have your gears spinning. I can assure you, it will all come together when the rules are ready for you to download. We're confident that they'll be available for your enjoyment before the end of May.

The rule changes are somewhat intensive, however, after taking a step back and looking at the game, we feel they're very much for the best. They "fix" the issues we've received feedback regarding, and make for a much richer, dynamic, and interesting gaming experience, all while still feeling very much like the original game. I say that very carefully; if you felt there was something "missing" from the original ruleset, we do hope those holes are filled for you. If T&N:F is something you enjoy, you get the best of both worlds: you'll have the option of playing the game whichever way you prefer (and we have a strong feeling you'll prefer the dynamics of the updated rules)!

Thank you guys for your interest and patience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
justjohn wrote:

- Each Faction will include 12 cards (2 copies of each existing Troop)

- At the beginning of each game, each player drafts 3 Factions, forming
a 36 card deck

This is the one aspect of the rule changes that I am not excited about. The end result is that the only real variation in the game components will be combinations of troops as the whole box of available Factions will always be in play.

Of course, this would be much less of an issue if there were 4-6 additional Factions in the works...

The rest of it look mighty positive. It would be nice to have an opportunity to purchase an errata pack in the future if it is economically feasible for SBG to print it out as maybe a rider on that upcoming T&N Kickstarter expansion.

Finally, just because they say that marketing messages are most effective in threes: EXPANSION!!! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boing, boing, boing... thunk!
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokhuah wrote:
The end result is that the only real variation in the game components will be combinations of troops as the whole box of available Factions will always be in play.

Of course, this would be much less of an issue if there were 4-6 additional Factions in the works...

Seconded, emphatically!

Also, will each faction still have 2 command cards? This would also add variability to the game as any given combination of factions would have 8 different command card combos. That would really help to spice things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j clowdus
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're absolutely correct.

We're waiting to see how the new 2.0 rules/game are received. If there's enough support, we'll definitely release 3 additional Factions.

As far as Command cards go, each Faction will have 1 Faction Command Card. It's still plenty spicy, because you don't get to use both the ability and the formation attack. Confusing, I know, but it will make sense soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I think about all the changes you've made, the more I think you should create a new entry for the reboot. Other games have also gotten new entries for significant changes and it can help to keep straight the different editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marble rabbit wrote:
The more I think about all the changes you've made, the more I think you should create a new entry for the reboot. Other games have also gotten new entries for significant changes and it can help to keep straight the different editions.

Already in the current submission queue...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, son of gun, would you look at that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
From a newbie to the game just starting to explore v1, these changes do not seem interesting... at all. :shrug:

It sounds like you just took every bit of variety in both deck and play style out of the game for the sake of... I don't know, really.

The very small power set with multiple repetitions was unique, charming, well implemented, and essentially the primary point of the whole game... and you removed it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j clowdus
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate, I mean this, I'm ecstatic you enjoy the game as is. You like the game for many of the same reasons we were so proud of the design, the testers enjoyed it, and most reviewers and fans of the game have pointed out. Luckily, if you like it the way it is, there's no reason to adopt the new rules when they're released.

We're mainly doing this for 2 reasons.

First and foremost, is to make sure that people who didn't enjoy the game will get a second stab at it, if they're interested, and it seems like the game, for whatever reason, was more polarizing than some of our more recent releases.

The second reason sort of ties into the first reason; we absolutely love the game, the art, the mechanics, and premise of Tooth & Nail. We're really proud of this release, however, if the reasons people have been turned off by it run across the board, it feels like something that needs to be addressed if we ever aim to re-release this game successfully. (For what it's worth, Boards and Bits has had the same handful of copies of the game in stock for around 9 months). That tells me that the impact of the negative response and reviews has been far more powerful than the impact of the positive posts and responses.

If it were up to me, and I could figure out a way to do it without causing mass confusion (which we've experienced anytime we've tried to do anything like this), is we'd release a 3 Faction expansion for the people who love the game as is, and then release the 2.0 with the expansion included. Doing something like that would benefit everyone, I think, but would have the potential to cause a lot of confusion.

As a small aside to that, we're no longer working with the printer that produced the cards for Tooth & Nail, and the cards we received were slightly smaller than they should have been, meaning that, the only people who would be able to use this hypothetical expansion with ease would be limited to people who sleeve their games.

Anyway, I greatly, greatly appreciate that you're enjoying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Salonen
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So if I would happen to have the old rules and I bought the 2.0 version, would I be able to play the game with the old rules but the new cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this still happening?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokhuah wrote:
Is this still happening?

Still waiting on it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j clowdus
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. It's still happening at some point. I don't know in what capacity, or when, but it's still something I'm very interested in doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.