Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alvin Simmons

Sacramento
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I was considering on purchasing several mats for x-wing, when it occurred to me that I could find a new use for the projector I use for our roleplaying nights. "From dungeons to deep space." I was so close to spending a good bit on maps, so I thought I'd present this as an option in case someone else had a projector sitting around for such a project. It didn't take too much effort to narrow each map down to a 3x3 playing area either and it certain adds a lot of atmosphere to our battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved Thread
Moved this thread from the General Gaming forum to the X-Wing General forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this projected from overhead? I wonder if you could get a semi-opaque piece of plastic and have the projector underneath. You could make a super awesome table that way. Also, if you could make a moving image with asteroids slowly changing position, that would be incredible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Purdy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really cool! Excellent idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Simmons

Sacramento
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I mounted my projector a few weeks ago to use projecting maps from Pathfinder. It can be pricey for a projector, but the convenience and ease of use it sweet. Especially since I'm getting use for other games now too.

Now that you mention it, the asteroids moving about and such can be accomplished too. I've already considered that possibility and determined all I need to do is just run the video from my laptop, which is connected to the projector anyway. I just haven't spent the time searching out a good space background video to run through it. There must be some out there though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please upload a video of that when you do. I'd love to see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternatively you could get a big ass TV and use it as your gaming table. I actually thought of that for smaller board games, but a projector is certainly more flexible (not to mention cheaper). With a bit of coding you could really make an interactive X-Wing table, including capital ships, explosions, asteroid fields, animated range rulers (like clicking on the spot where the ship stands on the table and it shows the ranges as concentric circles), etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milis
United Kingdom
Cranham
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one centurion!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.