flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I have problem with translation of this point:
"9.2.2. Multi-Unit Battles: Attacking units in two or more
hexes can combine their Combat Strengths in a single Battle
providing all of the attacking units are adjacent to all of the defending
units. Battles can thus involve multiple attacking and/
or defending units."
Does it mean for example five units in line of hexes may one-time attack for example four units that are adjecent to all attacking five? One dice roll for that kind of attack? Strange...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be done, but it is not usual.
Usually you'll split the attacks to ensure good odds in the crucial ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each of the attacking units must be adjacent to each of the defending units. That is impossible for a five units versus four units battle in a game without stacking.

Your feeling that it is strange is a good instinct!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hexmagazine Accursed Games
Poland
Warszawa/Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, that's exactly the point, as rules define:
All of the attacking units are adjacent to all of the defending units. Battles can thus involve multiple attacking and/
or defending units." So it looks like my feeilng is not sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the confusion, but if there is a straight line of 5 units attacking another straight line of 4 defending units, all of the attacking units are not adjacent to all of the defending units. The attacker's units on each end of his line are only adjacent to the defender's units on each end of his line.

The attacker can decide how to gain the advantage at a particular point of the line, but I am sure that this line of 5 attacking a line of 4 is not allowed to be resolved as a single attack die roll. I wish I was more graphically skilled - I would post a picture or diagram that would make it more clear. Maybe one of the Napoleon 20 guys can help me out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hexmagazine Accursed Games
Poland
Warszawa/Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think so too, but wanted to be sure. And what about this situation?

Could it be one attack of 1 and 2 on 3 and 4?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the attack you show can be conducted as one combined attack at the attacker's option. Each and every attacking unit is adjacent to each and every defending unit.

I wish game rules writers would say "each and every" instead of "all" when they discuss multi-hex combat. It would probably translate more easily, and avoid an argument that most wargamers have had at least once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the illustration that Tomasz posted, you could indeed resolve the situation as a single battle. This is because both the blue unit are in the ZOCs of both the green units, and vice-versa. However, if we were to move any of the units into another hex, where it was only in the ZOC of one (not both) of the opposing units, you'd be required to resolve the situation as two separate battles.

Hope that clears things up.

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.