Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I received the two copies of Goro-Goro Dobutsu Shogi that I ordered from the Nekomado online shop. I have submitted a new game entry for this game, but it's yet to be approved. But I decided to already share some of the pictures of the game!

So this arrived today:

The two copies of the game, with a copy of the new English version of the Dobutsu Shogi Puzzles book on top.

The two copies, still shrinkwrapped:

Anybody perhaps able to translate this? Maybe this is the designer of the game? Or just a representative of Nihon shogi-renmei, the Japan Shogi Association (which is stated as being the designer on the Nekomado website..):

Or maybe there's more info in this 'Credits' section of the instruction booklet?:

The box without shrinkwrap:

The box opened up:

All components:

The pieces (with how they promote in the right column. Blank = no promotion):

Cheers,
Martijn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Dickson
ACT
flag msg tools
??!
badge
And when you gaze long into Ducky Momo, Ducky Momo also gazes into you.
mb
I just got mine the other day too. So cute!

I was going to take a size comparison photo because I was expecting the box to be the same size as どうぶつしょうぎ - Let's Catch the Lion!, but it's bigger.

The size of the pieces was also a bit unexpected: smaller than Dobutsu Shogi, larger than the ones in おおきな森のどうぶつしょうぎ - Dobutsu Shogi in the Greenwood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
srand wrote:
I just got mine the other day too. So cute!

I was going to take a size comparison photo because I was expecting the box to be the same size as どうぶつしょうぎ - Let's Catch the Lion!, but it's bigger.

The size of the pieces was also a bit unexpected: smaller than Dobutsu Shogi, larger than the ones in おおきな森のどうぶつしょうぎ - Dobutsu Shogi in the Greenwood.

Are you still doing the size comparison photo? If not, I will because it's a good idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! I'm awaiting the arrival of mine, and the approval of Martijn's game entry (I just knew it was you who'd submitted it), so I can give it "pre-ordered" status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, tell us about the book, please, Martijn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
zefquaavius wrote:
Also, tell us about the book, please, Martijn!

Sure, I will. I'm not at home right now but I'll take some more photos when I get back. It's a really nice book and well translated. I find it well translated anyway, but English isn't my native language of course..

Martijn

EDIT: The book is for Dobutsu Shogi by the way. Not the Goro-Goro variant. I'm not sure I was clear on that..? The Goro-Goro game only comes with rules in Japanese. Hopefully there'll be an English version soon too. The rules probably won't be that different, but there must be some small things. The booklet contains an image that shows someone tossing several chick pieces. It seems to indicate that at some point you do this to either get a chick or a hen piece, which you supposedly then use to put ontothe board. But I don't know exactly when and how yet..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nathan,

Here are some more photos of the book. These give you a bit of an idea of what the book is about.

Or did you have any specific questions about the book?

Martijn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and Nathan, the book even contains an image of the gameboard spread over 2 pages. The pieces are on the slipcover and can be cut out and used on the board that's in the book.

I'm not going to cut up the book though. No way!

And the music (notes) and lyrics to the Lion March are also in the book!

Martijn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
And another thing:

How freaking awesome is this!?!?!?

I was just cleaning up the packing material from the shipment (crumbled up Japanese newspapers) when I suddenly saw this:

It's Johannes Vermeer's painting called 'Meisje met de parel' (Girl with a Pearl Earring). Well, not the actual painting as it's actually a photograph of a different woman. But I immediately recognized that it was based on Vermeer's painting:

Johannes Vermeer is of course also from The Netherlands, the same country I live in. So that's why I found this so very awesome.

What a nice coincidence! cool

More info on Vermeer's painting can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_with_a_Pearl_Earring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martinus wrote:
Oh, and Nathan, the book even contains an image of the gameboard spread over 2 pages. The pieces are on the slipcover and can be cut out and used on the board that's in the book.

That is great! I love how very print-and-play an attitude they've had. It's clear that their primary goal is to get people excited about shogi.

Martinus wrote:
And another thing:

How freaking awesome is this!?!?!?

I was just cleaning up the packing material from the shipment (crumbled up Japanese newspapers) when I suddenly saw this:

It's Johannes Vermeer's painting called 'Meisje met de parel' (Girl with a Pearl Earring). Well, not the actual painting as it's actually a photograph of a different woman. But I immediately recognized that it was based on Vermeer's painting

That is so cool. They really matched that up incredibly well! Especially with the crinkling, I didn't even notice that it was a "replica" until I saw Vermeer's below it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
zefquaavius wrote:
Martinus wrote:

That is great! I love how very print-and-play an attitude they've had. It's clear that their primary goal is to get people excited about shogi.

Yeah, that's always been their main goal. In Japan it's really about getting more girls to play shogi so that there'll be more professional women shogi players later on.

The fact that they (Madoka and Maiko) have made such an awesome game to help them achieve this AND have managed to make the game a BIG success is really cool too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martinus wrote:
The fact that they (Madoka and Maiko) have made such an awesome game to help them achieve this AND have managed to make the game a BIG success is really cool too!

I totally agree! …and bonus points for getting it to us fans elsewhere on this orb….
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoshiya Shindo
Japan
Nakano-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martinus wrote:

Anybody perhaps able to translate this? Maybe this is the designer of the game? Or just a representative of Nihon shogi-renmei, the Japan Shogi Association (which is stated as being the designer on the Nekomado website..):

He is Yoshiharu Habu, one of the best (or just the best) professional Shogi player.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshiharu_Habu

The sticker is his recommendation and the words from himself "You can enjoy this with anybody. Please try this."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Yoshiya,

Thanks for the info and translation! Fantastic!

If you could, please also have a look at the other translation request I made in this thread (about the 'credits' section of the rules booklet).

And if Gentosha and Nekomado don't have an English translation of the rules, could you perhaps read through the rules and let us now what the differences are between the original game and the Goro-Goro version? So that I can actually play the game and know I'm doing things the right way!

Thanks,
Martijn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,
Met the designer yesterday at the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC and got excited about the whole series of games. She left me with some copies of her intro Shogi game and I went ahead and bought the middle game (not sure the name - Let's Catch a Lion 5656?) My Japanese is pretty much zero.

Along those lines, the version I got had Japanese rules in the box! Is there and English set somewhere? I thought that maybe the game played much like "Let's Catch a Lion" into, but I can see there's some differences I have not quite figured out. Any help with translated rules would be greatly appreciated.

Don't care to repeat my experiences with trying to play "Red Sun, Black Cross" a few years ago when our translated ruleset was not so good. Or the Japanese expansion to Sixth Fleet.

Barry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoshiya Shindo
Japan
Nakano-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martinus wrote:

Today I received the two copies of Goro-Goro Dobutsu Shogi that I ordered
Or maybe there's more info in this 'Credits' section of the instruction booklet?:

This is the credits as you expect.

=======
Publisher: GENTOSHA EDUCATION inc.
(Zip, adress and phone)
(website)
Contact Info
(Email)
Game Design: Japan Shogi Association public interest incorporated association
Text: Madoka Kitao (professional female Shogi player)
Art: Maiko Fujita (professional female Shogi player)
Graphic Design: piecodesign
Direction: Nekomado
Produce: Cronos inc.
(Copyright and product liability)
=======

The rule of Gorogoro Shogi is almost the same as Dobutsu Shogi with some difference. It's much closer to full Shogi than Dobutsu Shogi.

* You can promote your Chick or Cat in first or second row in your opponent side. You cannot promote your Dog.
* There're no "TRY" rules.
* Prohibited move rule in full Shogi is applied in Gorogoro Shogi, includes;
--- Nifu (Duplicated Chick: you cannot drop your chick onto the column that contains your another non-promoted chick.)
--- Uchi-fu-zume (Mate with dropping Chick: you cannot drop you chick to mate your opponent lion. Moving your chick to mate is allowed.)
--- Immobile Chick (You cannot drop your Chick, or move your Chick and unpromte, into the first row in your opponent side and make the Chick immobile.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Yoshiya,

Thanks for the translation!

I still have some questions though. Maybe you can help out?

- what exactly are 'try' rules?
- if a chick reaches the first row of your opponent it always has to promote, right? Is that what you mean with the 'immobile chick' rule? But the cat can stay unpromoted even if it reaches the other side, correct?
- in the rules book there's also a drawing of a child rolling the chick pieces. It looks like it's a way to randomly get chicks and hens. Do you kow what the image is supposd to convey? If needed I could take a picture of the drawing and the accompanying text.

Thanks,
Martijn

EDIT: one more question regarding the original Dobutsu Shogi (not the Goro-Goro version): is it also not allowed to drop a chick in the first row of your opponent in this game? It won't promote, that I know. But it might be an interesting move as it prevents your opponent from dropping a piece on the same square..

EDIT #2: And another question: 'unpromoting' is never possible, right? So that once a piece is promoted, it stays promoted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoshiya Shindo
Japan
Nakano-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
* "Try" is "your Lion reaches to the first row of your opponent to win" rule. The word comes from rugby football.

* Unpromoted Chick in the first row of your opponent cannot move at all, so making such pieces are prohibited. Unpromoted Cat, on the other hand, can move back diagonally so it's allowed to stay unpromoted.

* Additional promotion rule: When you drop your piece onto your opponent area, you need to put it with unpromoted face. After that, you are allowed to move the piece to the other square to promote it on later turn. If you drop your Cat on the second row of your opponent, and in later turn, if you move it back to the third row, go out from opponent area, you still can promote that Cat, because it started from your opponent area.

* I believe rolling chick means randomly determine who goes first by guessing which side comes up. In full Shogi, we toss five Fu (pawn/chick) to determine it (called "Furi-goma", shaking pieces).

Edit:

* In Dobutsu Shogi, all of "prohibition" is removed. So yes, you can put immobile Chick, you can drop duplicated Chick, or even you can move you Lion in front of you opponent Lion!

* You cannot go back your piece to unpromoted side after you promote it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
LogicWolf wrote:
* "Try" is "your Lion reaches to the first row of your opponent to win" rule. The word comes from rugby football.

Okay, got it. The try rule in Dobutsu Shogi also entails that the lion cannot be captured in the turn after it reaches the other side, correct? That's how we always play it anyway..

LogicWolf wrote:
* Unpromoted Chick in the first row of your opponent cannot move at all, so making such pieces are prohibited. Unpromoted Cat, on the other hand, can move back diagonally so it's allowed to stay unpromoted.

Does promoting also occur when moving backwards? Or is it only possible if a piece moves forwards?

If backwards movement also promotes, does a promotion also occur if you move a piece backwards out of the promotion zone?

And if you move forward diagonally? Does it promote then too?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoshiya Shindo
Japan
Nakano-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
* You need to move you Lion to the square that you opponent's pieces cannot move to win by "Try". Think "Try" win can be declared at the beginning of your turn, before you move any pieces.

* You can promote your piece when you move your Cat or Chick "into" or "out from" your opponent area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
LogicWolf wrote:

* You can promote your piece when you move your Cat or Chick "into" or "out from" your opponent area.

So with Goro-Goro Dbutsu Shogi, which has a promotion zone of 2 rows, only entering or leaving it triggers a promotion. If I'm in the first row of the zone already and then move my piece forwards again, it does not promote. I that correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall Shogi correctly, any move starting and/or ending in the promotion zone is eligible for promotion (other than a drop, of course). I'd assume Goro-Goro is the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoshiya Shindo
Japan
Nakano-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, sorry for my bad clarification. I'm not an Engrishu natibu...

It should be;

* You can promote your piece when you move your Cat or Chick "from" or "to" your opponent area square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Yoshiya,

I've written up some rules for Goro-Goro Dobutsu Shogi. Can youchave a look at them and send me any corrections I need to make? I'll then update this message instead of posting new messages. That way we'll have this one message that will in the end have all the rules (or rather the differences with the original Dobutsu Shogi).

-----

Assuming you know the rules to Dobutsu Shogi, here's what you need to know to be able to play Goro-Goro Dobutsu Shogi:

optional: One player tosses/rolls three chick/hen pieces. If non-promoted faces (chicks) come up more than promoted side (hen), the player that tossed the pieces get first move. Otherwise the other player starts.

- Only capturing your opponent's lion wins you the game. Reaching the opponent's back rank with your own lion rank doesn't.
- A promotion zone consists of two rows.
- Promotion is optional. Except for chick pieces reaching the back rank; these have to promote because otherwise they wouldn't be able to make a valid move afterwards.
- All pieces must be able to make a valid move at all times. This goes for dropped pieces as well as moved pieces (so dropping a chick onto the opponent's back rank isn't allowed).
- Moving into, within, or out of a promotion zone allows promotion.
- You can't have two of your own chicks in a single column. Having a hen and a chick in a single column is allowed.
- You are not allowed to drop a chick piece right in front of your opponent's lion if this means the lion can't escape. You can only do this if the lion is able to move to a square where it can't be immediately captured. Moving a chick piece to such a square (instead of dropping it) is allowed.

-----

EDIT: Made some corrections based on feedback by Yoshiya
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more outtakes from the book:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.