Subject: Taking me back to 1952 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: coffindodger [+] [View All]
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb

Work in Progress

I recently purchased a set of British BEF infantry in 28mm for my collection of early WWII troops for Bolt Action. I had never painted the British army of this period before and had to include in my order from Warlord Games a bottle of Vallejo "English Uniform" from their Model Colour range.

I started painting the British figure on the left and, although I had painted many figures in a sort of khaki colour before, as seen by the Polish officer on the right, I was suddenly transported back to 1952 in my grandmother's kitchen where my uncle Arthur and a few of his friends, who were doing their national service and had just returned from Germany, had gathered for a few beers and a chat with my grandmother. At that time, my uncle Arthur was courting my grandmother's daughter, Loretto (they eventually did get married). They were all in British army uniform and I can see them as if it were yesterday.

The only thing I can say is that Vallejo have got their uniform colours down to a tee if they can take me back to when I was three. I hope I haven't bored you with these reminiscences. In my grandmother's day, the focus of the house was the kitchen, as that was the only room that was heated.

Has anyone else experienced a flashback like this? I am still a bit flabbergasted; it was so vivid that I had to stop painting for a while.

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story.

Quote:
Vallejo have got their uniform colours down to a tee...

These paints are a gift from wargame heaven. The color selection is outstanding and the stuff covers better than anything else I've used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly what I am doing at the moment! I am also painting my British troops for Bolt Action! Far away in distance but not in the heart we are!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Vallejo paints are wonderful. They airbrush beautifully too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:

Has anyone else experienced a flashback like this?

Yes. Memory is interestingly holographic.

Of course, 1952 was only 20 years ago for me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't trust my own memories;
if I had that kind of flashback, I'd suspect a hallucination induced by an alien brain implant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
if I had that kind of flashback, I'd suspect a hallucination induced by an alien brain implant.

I'd suspect the Vallejo paint fumes.

But actually, some of my memories are also quite vivid and can come upon me by surprise, flooding me with emotion. Really cool experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:

Actually I'm quite sure of my memories of the fifties and seventies; it's the sixties that I can't recollect, save for some vivid flashbacks when I stop taking my medication.

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:

Has anyone else experienced a flashback like this? I am still a bit flabbergasted; it was so vivid that I had to stop painting for a while.[/b]

Jim

You're supposed to paint it, not sniff it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember digging out my minis from the loft after about 20 years and finding terrain I had built but completely forgotten about. This was like opening a door in my memory that had been covered up for decades.

That's one advantage of growing old, memory loss, you can find some hidden gems hidden away in your own mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett W
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
oneilljgf wrote:

Work in Progress

Has anyone else experienced a flashback like this? I am still a bit flabbergasted; it was so vivid that I had to stop painting for a while.

Jim

Est. 1949

Jim,

I cannot say I've had that strong an experience but similar, smaller ones are fondly remembered. The real reason for my reply is to thank you for sharing the story. It is posts such as yours that keep me returning to our wargame forum.

Thanks Again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:

Work in Progress

I recently purchased a set of British BEF infantry in 28mm for my collection of early WWII troops for Bolt Action. I had never painted the British army of this period before and had to include in my order from Warlord Games a bottle of Vallejo "English Uniform" from their Model Colour range.

I started painting the British figure on the left and, although I had painted many figures in a sort of khaki colour before, as seen by the Polish officer on the right, I was suddenly transported back to 1952 in my grandmother's kitchen where my uncle Arthur and a few of his friends, who were doing their national service and had just returned from Germany, had gathered for a few beers and a chat with my grandmother. At that time, my uncle Arthur was courting my grandmother's daughter, Loretto (they eventually did get married). They were all in British army uniform and I can see them as if it were yesterday.

The only thing I can say is that Vallejo have got their uniform colours down to a tee if they can take me back to when I was three. I hope I haven't bored you with these reminiscences. In my grandmother's day, the focus of the house was the kitchen, as that was the only room that was heated.

Jim

Est. 1949

Nice to see a Too Fat Lardies figure painted up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bactrian5 wrote:
...Nice to see a Too Fat Lardies figure painted up

Timothy,

I bought both of these figures from Warlord. Was one of them originally a Too Fat Lardies' sculpt?

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.