Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
http://boardgametop10s.com/audio/bg10.xml
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For more information on this tournament, see the following thread: "Best card" tournament - Introduction

I won't post here every time a new round starts, but this is a pretty significant one, with 39 matches in this "round of 128" (well, round of 78, I guess, technically...).

We had 3 matches in the first round, all of them blow-outs:

- Peacock 77 - Aurora 10
- Viktor 1.0 66 - Bullfrog 20
- Enigma 62 - Hourglass 23

But those were just play-in matches. Still, we had between 85 and 87 voters in each round, which is pretty respectable for the first round.

If you want to join in head over here: Android: Netrunner "best card" tournament -- Round 2

Be sure to give it a thumbs-up so we can get to the front page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please continue to update some how. Need to have someway to know when a new round starts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely missed that the first round started and finished... How long was it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
I completely missed that the first round started and finished... How long was it?

Me too. I have notifications set up for this forum and I check them diligently multiple times a day and I didn't see a topic notifying us that this started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
These pairings aren't all that great...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:

It lasted about 40 hours, from Thursday morning until Saturday at midnight (US time). But there were only 3 matches in it, and none of them were close.

"Best card" tournament - Introduction was the thread that kicked it off. Perhaps I should have changed the title of it.

xpiredsodapop wrote:
These pairings aren't all that great...

In what way? How would you improve them?

Or maybe I should have you file those suggestions for the thread at the end of the tournament where we consider improvements to the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't explain it exactly. I feel the matchups aren't even that fair and are non-exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, they either seemed no brainers or made absolutely no sense. Maybe the later rounds will be more interesting...

Right now it's mostly "duh".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
I can't explain it exactly. I feel the matchups ... are non-exciting.

Tuism wrote:
Yeah, they ... seemed no brainers ... Maybe the later rounds will be more interesting...

Right now it's mostly "duh".

This is pretty normal in the early rounds of a tournament, especially one with so many participants. There are 181 cards in this tournament, which is a pretty massive amount. Even in 64-team tournaments, the first round tends to have a lot of blowouts. I would actually be more concerned if there were too many close battles here.

It would, perhaps, be more interesting to skip these rounds with the weaker competition. Two problems with that, though: 1) Outside of a couple of cards like Net Shield, there's probably somebody that likes almost everything. (Sherlock is getting some votes in its battle with Archer.) By having a comprehensive tournament, those people have no room to complain about their choice being eliminated. 2) An ever-changing meta is going to take some cards previously believed to be weak and make them stronger.

I'm more interested in these observations:

xpiredsodapop wrote:
I feel the matchups aren't even that fair.

Tuism wrote:
Yeah, they either seemed no brainers or made absolutely no sense.

Do you guys have some examples of these sorts of match-ups?

notyetsuperman wrote:
Please continue to update some how. Need to have someway to know when a new round starts.

I mainly am concerned with spamming the main forums. I figured most people would subscribe to the GeekList where I post the new rounds: Android: Netrunner "best card" tournament metalist

However, if it's more convenient for people, I have no problem posting a thread here, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some examples...

Crypsis VS Peacock...
Djinn vs Nerve Agent...
Data Sucker vs Disrupter...
Net Shield vs Imp...
Data Dealer vs Crash Space (ok this one ain't THAT bad)
Notoriety vs Diesel...
Green Level vs Freelancer...
Beanstalk vs Aggressive Negotiation...

Well you get the point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lol'd at yog vs force of nature

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Round 3 is now underway: Android: Netrunner "best card" tournament -- Round 3a, Runner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.