Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antony Alexander
United Kingdom
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for opinions on whether this game would work for a situation with couples who are generally non gamers - when we get together with this group we quite often play more "traditional" fare like trivial pursuit or a murder mystery party game but not more complex games.

I am thinking that Tales might work with each couple taking control of one character which would mean four couples could play and it would hopefully keep playing time down to manageable levels.

Would this work? Or do you think playtime be too long, couples playing one character not work or the process of managing the game with looking things up on tables, etc. would be too much for a non gamer group to enjoy?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Complexity-wise, I don't think your guests would have anything to fear.

However, you'd have to be really confident that eight of them would happily sit around and immerse themselves in the storytelling because, let's face it, there would be a lot of time spent doing nothing.

In my experience, for every person who has a good laugh with Arabian Nights, there is at least one more who hates it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sharwarko
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you present it as not just a game, but as an interactive story exercise they may be put into the right frame of mind to enjoy it.

I think of it as, we could sit and watch a movie and have a passive experience. Or play TotAN and have an interactive experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis S.
Greece
Thessaloniki
Macedonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couples as teams...
The couples should make their decisions without arguing, I hope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antony Alexander
United Kingdom
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vasilis5755 wrote:
The couples should make their decisions without arguing, I hope

Oh I don't know, might be part of the fun!

Actually, it is the interactivity that I am interested in - as I said, we quite often have Murder, Mystery evenings and they are an entirely passive (and quite dull, imho) experience. You just read out text when prompted and head down one set path. Some present may engage a little more in roleplaying their character than others but nobody gets any real input into the story.

I am hoping Tales may provide more involvement and so be more engaging to all but I am wondering whether the mechanics of playing, while not too complex, may be too clunky for people not used to gaming and get in the way of the flow of the story or general conversation around it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea. I've found myself playing more and more games in this manner: couples playing as one. It lets us play 2-5 player games when there's 8 of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I'm a big fan of Tales. However, I probably wouldn't recommend it based on what you've said about your situation. It is mostly storytelling. The choice you make don't really have an impact on what happens to your character. No matter how well you think you're choosing, things you don't expect usually end up happening, so it's actually not worth it to spend a lot of time discussing your choices. That would probably make it a poor couples game.

The real fun in Tales is rushing in and laughing at all the ridiculous things that happen to you. That doesn't appeal to some people, so perhaps a bit more info about the potential players may help us give you better idea of whether this game would suit your group or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could piggyback on the OP's thread, I am interested in getting TotAN, mostly as a two player experince with my fiancé. She loves stories. I love games. However, with the right group of couples, I imagined this being a fun couple's experience as well. Not because of hard decisions, but because you decide together what happens to your poor character. Whatever happens, you experience his folly (or his glory) together. In theory, that sounds very appealing to me, as someone who loves doing things together and laughing with my companion. I imagine that's possibly some of what the OP had in mind as well. Can anyone comment if that's an accurate viewpoint on this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.