Subject: Who are the small box expansion meant for? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Mauro
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I'm a little confused by why the small box expansions exist...

I will be playing with 3 heroes at most, and would love to have games themed heavily (Dragon theme, Kobold theme, etc.)

Would I benefit from having some of the small box expansions? Is an all Dragon game even advisable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
For 3 hero games, You wouldn't really benefit from buying the "minion" spawning points, but you could get some potential use out of the "denizen" ones. You could play a game with 3 Egg Clutches, for instance, or some mix between the Egg Clutch, the Fireflow, and the Halloween spawning points.

They also each have an exclusive Treasure card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Who are they for? Suckers like me!!!

The rocktop would be beneficial for larger games. It will give you the option of running 4 kobolds, 4 rocktops, or 2 and 2.

The dragons and fireflows are probably more useful, giving you the option to run a game of just them and no minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
In the case of the different denizens, I think all dragons would be too easy for heroes, while all fireflows would be murder. Imagine 3 Blaze beetles on the first turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Jensen
msg tools
Fireflow + dragons is a murder combo.
Fire, choke, pacify and knockdown. That is evil! And really! The dragons aren't as bad as everyone says!!!

Obviously you'd be crippling yourself if you only pick 3 of the same kind. There's strength in diversity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I find swarm to be pretty effective, especially with the Wyrmlings' 2 attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Jensen
msg tools
That's what I'm talkin'bout!
An entire clutch can do massive damage if they all gang up on one hero. And if they don't kill him, he's still knocked down.

We mostly play 3-heroes games. In the long run I imagine I would go for two of all the 1-spawn-points. 2 Dragons, 2 Fireflows and 2 Witches. Even if it's possible to field 3 of each in a game I really can't see myself or anyone actually doing that.
2 of each is enough for 3-heroes games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.