Hide
11 Posts

Rex: Final Days of an Empire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hacan deployment ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rosen Kazakov
msg tools
Hello , can you please clarify , if Hacan player wants to deploy his units in sector where are enemy player units presented, does he still pays half prices according to his racial ? Or it is 2 influence ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Kazakov
msg tools
ok thanks , few more questions , thanks you -

1.When Hacan allies deploy units into sectors with enemy units, you still pay half price ? When Hacan or his allies use his special to move units from one to another sector with enemy units , they still pay half price ? After playing 7 games with 6 players , i think this race is the most OP race i ever seen in game .

6 out of 7 games Hacan alliance won the games , its just impossible , all his allies deply at half cost , move anywhere on the board on top the other team units , its just insane. The whole game Hacan has so much influence he cant even spend all of it .I think that the alliance who has Hacan auto wins every time , not to mention the retarded auto win conditions of his race. Some players are so frustrated that they dont want to play this game anymore , and i just bought it , 2 weeks ago. Dont know what to do , really ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maltuvion Irewood
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Saifur wrote:
ok thanks , few more questions , thanks you -

1.When Hacan allies deploy units into sectors with enemy units, you still pay half price ? When Hacan or his allies use his special to move units from one to another sector with enemy units , they still pay half price ? After playing 7 games with 6 players , i think this race is the most OP race i ever seen in game .

6 out of 7 games Hacan alliance won the games , its just impossible , all his allies deply at half cost , move anywhere on the board on top the other team units , its just insane. The whole game Hacan has so much influence he cant even spend all of it .I think that the alliance who has Hacan auto wins every time , not to mention the retarded auto win conditions of his race. Some players are so frustrated that they dont want to play this game anymore , and i just bought it , 2 weeks ago. Dont know what to do , really ....

Rex is built on the 30+ year old boardgame called Dune. Hacan/Guild is generally not considered OP in any conceivable way. Rex/Dune, however, is very susceptible to "local metagames"; people playing in a certain way because they perceive it to be superior... only to slowly unravel counters and different strategies which change the metagame. The game rewards creative thinking immensely.

I would suggest that you and your friends read some reviews from experienced players (such as the one on the front-forum page here) and read some of the WBC reports from Dune. Look up the Dune game here on BoardGameGeek, you can easily find them. It's basically the World Cup in Dune/Rex and it showcases alot of high-level strategies. The game is very assymetrical but also very balanced; no race is intrinsically better than another. If that is your perception, you are likely playing subpar, no offence.

As for Hacan, they have zero combat advantages and amongst the worst leaders. They are very forgiving and straightforward to play, but they are also very simple and straightforward to counter.

Hacan's victory condition: Why isn't Xxcha predicting turn 8 Hacan wins? It is a wonderful disincentive for Hacan to pursue a round 8 win. Same goes for betrayal cards; Hacan might not be inclined to easily go into alliances if he knows he's likely to be betrayed. If Hacan has no fear of alliance partners and allying in order to accomplish a default victory, then it's not really the victory condition that is "retarded", as you put it.

All that said and done, these are general pointers; without knowing your specific games and how they progress, I cannot really point out fallacies in your logic. However, I have never met any experienced player who considers Hacan as a race or Hacan-alliances overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maltuvion Irewood
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Addendum: I'd also recommend that you spend some time to properly read the rules. Your questions are very easily answered by simply reading at the corresponding alliance cards/rulebook. Even if english isn't your native language, patience and a dictionary will get you far. Judging from your recent wave of threads pertaining to rules questions, there's a high chance that you've misinterpreted a certain rule which may skewer the game. Reading PBF threads would help you get a feel for alot of rules (see abovestated response and WBC threads).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Kazakov
msg tools
I guess you didnt really read my post dude. I dont know how balanced the game is in every man for himself game or may be even 3 alliances of 2 players each . I am talking about 3 v 3 game and i can assure i am a quite good player just as most people from my gaming group are. Half of my group are IT developers, we have 2 enginners , 2 univercity teachers , 1 laywer and 1 graduating soon doctor . We are all intelligent people and we have been playing board games for over 3 years now , all our combined collection of games exceeds over 50 games.

Hacan combat advantages are just as good as any other race , their leaders are strenght 5 max , just as 2 other races leaders which doesnt make them weaker in any possible way . They have so much influence they can always recruit and deploy any lost unit/leader , or just "teleport " tons of units anywhere on the map.

Hacan in 3 people alliance is the most OP race i have seen in any game. The ally advantes he gives to his team are way too much to handle , the constant flow of influence in his direction , the deployment and movement bonuses Hacan provides to his allies are not balanced in any way. We had several games when Hacan and Lazax end up in one alliance , together with Jol-Nar .Talk to me about balance, right....

As far as the post above this one - I understand the rules perfectly well , thats exactly why I posted some questions about Hacan racials and allies bonuses , because they are so unbalanced, they dont even make sense. As for some of the other questions i posted , it was only becaise few people from my group had minor argument concerning units movement , I did it so they can see the replies here and be assured that we are playing the game according to the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maltuvion Irewood
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Saifur wrote:
I guess you didnt really read my post dude.

I did, I just do not believe your conclusions are universally applicable, hence my mentioning of localized metagames being prevalent in Dune/Rex.

Saifur wrote:

I dont care how balanced the game is in every man for himself game or may be even 3 alliances of 2 players each .

How on earth did you deduce that I was only speaking from an "every man for himself"-perspective? I was very much speaking generally, which of course includes Hacan alliances. You would do well to properly reread my post, as I make it abundantly clear that Hacan alliances are generally not considered OP.

Saifur wrote:

I am talking about 3 v 3 game and i can assure i am a quite good player just as most people from my gaming group are.

You bought this game two weeks ago, have played 7 games... And you consider yourself an expert? The arrogance is astounding, if it wasn't so tragic. There are people who have played this game regularly for decades. There are WBC championships being held in this game. It has been debated for years without end due to its depth and assymetry.

7 games is very little. If you've read reviews it's widely considered that this game has a steep introduction curve which only starts to pay off after several games.

Saifur wrote:

Half of my group are IT developers, we have 2 enginners , 2 univercity teachers , 1 laywer and 1 graduating soon doctor . We are all intelligent people and we have been playing board games for over 3 years now , all our combined collection of games exceeds over 50 games.

Fine, let's start comparing our wieners. I'm soon finishing my ph.d. It has literally zero relevance to the present context; our arguments have. You seem to have a strong desire to cling to your perception that the Hacan is wildly overpowered even after the game has been playtested for over 30 years (see Dune). I simply mentioned the fact that you, shocker, may not have the full picture after a mere 7 games.

Saifur wrote:

Hacan in 3 people alliance is the most OP race i have seen in any game. The ally advantes he gives to his team are way too much to handle , the constant flow of influence in his direction , the deployment and movement bonuses Hacan provides to his allies are not balanced in any way. We had several games when Hacan and Lazax end up in one alliance , together with Jol-Nar .Talk to me about balance, right....

I could go into a lengthy diatribe about how such an alliance is easily matched, but you seem impervious to reasonable arguments, preferring instead to launch into ridiculous hyperbole.

Saifur wrote:

As far as the post above this one - I understand the rules perfectly well , thats exactly I posted some questions about Hacan racials and allies bonuses , because they are so unbalanced, they dont even make sense.

Yet you have made one thread after another recently, asking questions about basic rules that are described perfectly in the rulebook. Rules that weren't necessarily pertaining to Hacan. Threads in which more than one person recommended that you actually take the time to properly read the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Kazakov
msg tools
Had to add couple things to my previous post. I can play 2 weeks or 202 weeks more this game , there is nothing balanced about Hacan , and i have read many other posts from people sharing the same opinion about that race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maltuvion Irewood
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Saifur wrote:
Had to add couple things to my previous post. I can play 2 weeks or 202 weeks more this game , there is nothing balanced about Hacan , and i have read many other posts people sharing the same opinion about that race.

I'd love to see those sources, particularly as Guild/Hacan has been considered fairly balanced for decades

Anyway, you seem very upset about the game, so perhaps you'd be better off trading it for a game that is more your group's style? Seeing how the asymmetry seems the primary culprit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Kazakov
msg tools
I would like you to tell me how you counter the endless stream of influence flowing towards Hacan players , and how their race is so bad in combat because they have strenght 5 leaders , which is exactly identical to the maximum leader strenght of 2 other races ? And how exactly you counter racial ability that gives all players in your alliance deployment of half cost and ability to "teleport" anywhere on the map , including in sectors with enemy units present ?

I never said anywhere that i consider me or any of the people in my group "pros "at this game. I will certainly give it more time, trying to figure how to handle some specific races and alliances. Anyways , you input was appreciated, thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huber-Wehner
Germany
Brühl
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some comment on the wiener show!

We played Rex nine or ten times: One paleobotanist, one astrophysicist, two historians, one biologist and one project manager. We all have a degree, most of us are on the way to the doctor's degree.

In every game the Hacan gave as good as they got. Maltuvion is right, a lot depends on the local metagame. There are so many layers and combinations that is is very, very daring to say the Hacan race is OP after so few games. There is a PBF game going on right now PBF #3, with two, for this case, very interesting alliances: the allseeing eye (Sol, Jol-Nar and Xxcha) vs. money inc. (Hacan, Letnev and Lazax).

Perhaps worth a look...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.