Subject: Surprisingly fun... i would have thought otherwise! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all BGG's,

Normally "party" games ar enot something i look forward to. Lets be honest its no "SmallWorld" or "7 Wonders", and playing these games usually is synonymous with drinking games, but i was had quite a few laughs, even if i looked like an idiot most of the game!

Quelf

Players: 3-8
Est. Time: 40-80 mins
Age level: 13+

So our board game group got together under the guise of trying something new, and the comment of "Get ready to laugh..." Usually i cringe when hearing such a statement. History has not been kind to me and these "Party" or "Fun" games....

So after a brief overview as to how the swirl of a map works and what colour cards do what;

Red Cards - Choice of questions that each player must answer or move back
Yellow Cards - Stunts or "perform for others" cards
Blue Cards - Rules for you or all that change the game turn by turn...
Purple cards - Set a timer,answer questions cards
Green cards - Question from the player to your right

Game basics: If you complete a question or task you stay where you moved... if you fail you move back a space....

My first card was a yellow card where i read the description and cringed; "Tap dance while starting the timer and dance until the timer runs out, while tap dancing tell the group of an embarrassing childhood story" So i obliged and put up with this ridiculous act and i did not LOSE any points and we moved on....i was not really looking forward to much more and with people failing questions left and right, i thought that this game would go on forever....

But over all things progressed nicely.... some highlights were when my best buddy and i had to slow dance until the timer ran out, and this was just after i had to wrap my head in toilet paper from failing a question, and YES pictures were taken!

Another challenge was that you had to draw a "Bullseye" on a piece of paper and place it on your body, and if you catch another player looking at it, they have to move back 1 space. So i drew a bullseye with a gross penis on it.... needless to say many people lost a space....

As well, sometimes you pickup a card and it states "Classified question" to which you have to perform something without announcing what that is to others......

So my wife gets up to refill a tea, and another player whips her hands up to her face as though looking through binoculars while mumbling " do you have the beast in your sights!" Of course my wife was all like "WTF?!?!? and began laughing.... And the player who was performing broke out into laughter from the sheer idiocy of the whole thing....

The player whom was the recipient of the " binocular assault" was also awarded points if they did not laugh.... this did not happen, but simply allows you to see the randomness and fun that the game imbues...

Truly i was surprised by how much fun i had... i really was not expecting MUCH AT ALL, but i had fun and i would recommend it to any game group for a great icebreaker or intro to the night!

Quelf

Component quality - 5/10
Gameplay - 7/10
Strategy - 7/10
Theme - 10/10
Kid Friendly - 7/10

Overall - 7/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is perhaps the quintessential "love it or hate it" party game. I can understand how people loathe this game, but I have never seen a game generate more riotous laughter in my extended family than this one. If you have the right group, it's comic gold. If you have the wrong group, it will just be awkward and uncomfortable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A family favorite here! The more players you have, the funnier it gets! You certainly have t enjoy chaotic games to enjoy this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have told you thast was true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I loathe this game.

My daughter brings it out for sleepovers. Thats about all it gets played around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.