Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks looking for an abstract game and thinking one of either Hive, Blokus or Quirkle.

Any tips or ideas??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played any of them but recently I wondered whether I should pick up Hive or not.

I ended up buying the pocket version of Hive. It's only 10€ and already includes the ladybug and the mosquito. I don't think I'll regret THAT expense...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive would be my recommendation for two from the choices given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus Duo is for 2p and works very well. It probably has the fewest rules of the three (must touch a corner of your own color, can only touch colors of your own color).

Qwirkle has the rule of only one color or shape per row. It has some sense of familiarity to Scrabble, so can be good to introduce to people. Probably the most forgiving of the three.

Hive has the most rules of the three, but a reference card can help until people are more familiar with the pieces. Someone who likes the movement powers in Chess may like it.

All three are good choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:
Hi folks looking for an abstract game and thinking one of either Hive, Blokus or Quirkle.

Any tips or ideas??

I've played all three, and they are all good games. Blokus is best with 4 but you can turn the board into the better-for-two-players game of Blokus Duo by doing this:

Qwirkle is my least favorite of the three (though my wife loves it), but it scales OK if more players are ever around. (Also of these three games it would be my choice for three players-Hive only plays 2 and Blokus suffers with 3.)

Of the three Hive would be my choice, if I only had to choose one. But as I said before all three are good.

I hope this helps.

P.S. Great last name!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive and Blokus are both verry good games.
Blokus is the faster one, Hive is a little heavyer.

Qwirkle is a light family game, so it is hard to compare to the other two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanders
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mwroskam wrote:
Hive would be my recommendation for two from the choices given.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunter Wanten
Belgium
flag msg tools
I own Hive and I can say it is a fantastic game.
You can compare it with speed chess with bugs.
First games is finding out wich bugs are best to play with.
For me it are the ants because they can move all around the other bugs and block you competitor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm going to echo the majority and recommend Hive. Hive is deep with tons of replay value. And it's still very simple to learn compared to something like Chess. Plus, it's extremely portable which is an added bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If you want to give Hive a test drive,it's available in the ios AppStore for 99 cents. The app is a good way to quickly learn the movements as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Weaver
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I've got all of those, I have the gipf set. Yinsh is my favourites

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive or Blokus.. Well, get both. (Can't say about Qwirkle.)

If you are for tetrisy games, and perhaps get 3 or 4 players from time to time, get Blokus, and use a permanent marker to draw the Blokus Duo square and starting positions to the board. (I recommend Blokus Trigon for 3 and 4 players, but you can play it with 2 players.)

If you are more tactical 'chessy' thinker, Hive is your game. Hive is also robust and even more mobile, if you get the pocket edition. But it is strictly for 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason i cannot find Hive i found it on amazon.de but none of the sellers send to Belgium

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunter D'HOOGH
Belgium
WESPELAAR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:
For some reason i cannot find Hive i found it on amazon.de but none of the sellers send to Belgium

Hello,

you can still find it at http://adriaensen-speciaalzaak.be/

and that is in Antwerp.

Kind regards,

Günter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Moffett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played Hive and Blokus and own them both.

I would say Hive is the better game for two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Left Hand Reviews w/ Clawlan!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All 3 are solid abstracts. Easy to learn and a good amount of depth. The nice thing about Hive is that there are expansions for it. There are a ton of a sacks ee to play online here http://www.boardspace.net/english/about_hive.html

Try a few out and see what you like best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
What are peoples thoughts on the travel/pocket editions? I am talking here mostly about Hive, is there any real difference apart from size? Does any one have a size comparison?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Lokman Ishak
Malaysia
JERTEH
TERENGGANU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While Pocket Hive is cheap, the tile is also smaller than the actual hive. I'll recommend Hive Carbon if you want to get tiles the same size as the original. Plus, all the expansion is already included inside. The black and white colour also give the feel of playing chess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Lokman Ishak
Malaysia
JERTEH
TERENGGANU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:
What are peoples thoughts on the travel/pocket editions? I am talking here mostly about Hive, is there any real difference apart from size? Does any one have a size comparison?

Edit: Click here ---> Hive, scroll down, there's a table of the tile comparison between pocket and original.

I could not find the picture. I saw one in bgg before this. I could not remember where. By the way, there is always the free bag that comes with the Hive and Hive Carbon. So portability is not an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the slightly smaller size of Pocket Hive, and it was a lot more affordable than getting all of the expansions separately. Still the nice clacky feeling and good colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.