Hide
8 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Damage Type change with bonuses? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
I just finished my first play. Legacy, Ra, Wraith took down the scientist.
Heres one question. There was a card that changes all damage to melee. Wraith was dealing projectile damage and had a couple of cards which increased projectile damage.

Which of the following orders is correct.

1. Add projectile bonuses then convert to melee (How I played it)
2. Deal projectile which gets converted to melee so no bonuses are added.

Also, I killed him on the last hero possible. He had 15 cards in trash. EPIC!!! I love this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaGigolo wrote:
I just finished my first play. Legacy, Ra, Wraith took down the scientist.
Heres one question. There was a card that changes all damage to melee. Wraith was dealing projectile damage and had a couple of cards which increased projectile damage.

Which of the following orders is correct.

1. Add projectile bonuses then convert to melee (How I played it)
2. Deal projectile which gets converted to melee so no bonuses are added.

Also, I killed him on the last hero possible. He had 15 cards in trash. EPIC!!! I love this game

IIRC, it's resolved in the order in which those cards came into play. So if the damage booster came into play first, then yes, it would grant its bonus. But if the other card (I'm thinking that's the close quarters environment card?) came into play first, then the damage type would be converted first and the projectile bonus wouldn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Watson
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
That's not right, I'm afraid. You change the damage types first as they are fixed effects rather than triggered ones. Once you'vwe resolved the damage type, in play order, you check which conditional dmaage modifier to apply. In this case, you wouldn't apply the Micro Targetting Computer's damage as Cramped Quarters Combat converts Wraith's damage to melee rather than projectile.
So option 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a thorny issue for a few reasons, as we've had long arguments about the orders in which modifiers are applied, but the (generally accepted) bottom line is that since the damage is not projectile damage, it does not get boosted for Micro-Targeting Computer. That only boosts projectile damage, which the attack no longer is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
Ok, that makes sense. Well, I lost then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont sweat it, 3 heroes is kinda hard. 4 is the sweet spot and 5 is usually easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say 3 is actually the sweet spot. According to the stats project there is a 3 hero teams win 60% of the time. That jumps to over 80% with 4 or 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he meant "sweet spot" as in easiest.

I love playing solo with 3 Heroes and it is quite difficult. I have only just really started delving into this game and 4 Heroes is much easier than 3. I prefer the difficulty.

Hell, even Ambuscade is whopping my butt with a 3 Hero team and accordingly to the stat project, he only wins 9% of the time. Makes me wonder if I am messing something up or if everyone is playing a rule or two wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.