21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What is youre ultimate war board game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gunter Wanten
Belgium
flag msg tools
Everybody has his own opinion of board games.
But wich game brings all the adrenaline above and focus to win the battle for you.
Quick describe what makes the game so good for you.
I want to buy a war boardgame so every opinion matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like only your opinion matters, if it's going to be a wargame that pleases you.

So, what interests you? Modern warfare or ancient warfare? Land, air, or naval combat? Close-up skirmishes or epic campaigns? Capturing a hill or capturing a city or a whole country?

I've been into wargaming for over forty years, but I've never found my "ultimate" wargame. Just some good ones. And they're only good for me, not for everybody. Lately my favorite is Lock 'n Load. It's got plenty of exciting, close-up combat action without a lot of fiddly rules.

So, what do you think you would like?

(Also, you'll get more replies if you repost this in the Wargames subdomain.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Up Front
Washington's War
Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's the Commands & Colors games. The games play quickly, so you can play multi-scenarios or a mini-campaign in an evening.

The adrenaline for me, is provided by the cards. You can't do everything you want during a turn and you have to prioritize. There will be times that you'll be frustrated that you don't have the ability to react in some sectors, but that's part of the fun for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oo, Commands and Colors is a good call. It has a very fast pace to it, compared to most wargames.

My current favorite wargame is Combat Commander: Europe; it doesn't have the same pace, but once the forces are engaged it can get pretty tense.

Many hex-and-counter wargames have a different pace to them, like tectonic plates colliding. Which is not bad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mackenzie
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Europe Engulfed for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Up Front has always been the game I come back to as my favorite. The tension, the speed of play, the way the game simulates the action it portrays. Marvelous game. however it is out of print right now and a tad expensive. There is a rumor that a reprint might/will happen...

So, for a close second, try the Advanced Tobruk System.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gemmer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is Game of Thrones. Mostly because of the simultaneous decision making. Most war games I've played have considerable downtime, and this has next to none. It also has more interaction than just "I killed your dudes." So much more politics.

I also have really enjoyed Warrior Knights, for many of the same reasons, but the other is probably better. But they are different enough that I enjoy playing both. This one isn't a pure war game, however, and is more about politics than conquest.

Edit: I just noticed that neither of these are considered war games on this site, so maybe this isn't what you were looking for. Maybe I play so little of the genre that I've mis-classified. Anyone want to tell me why these games wouldn't be considered war games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Hymn

Paragraph driven solitaire wargame.

Your plan won't survive contact with the enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, my favorite "wargame" is the light, sci-fi themed, Nexus Ops. It is quick, brutal and I think it scales very well. Always a joy to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPI Central Front Series (Hof Gap, Fifth Corps, BAOR). Wore my first set of these out. Now on my second set. Wish Decision Games would complete the series as originally envisioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hammer of the Scots

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, see this GeekList.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunter Wanten
Belgium
flag msg tools
Patrick Carroll wrote:
It sounds like only your opinion matters, if it's going to be a wargame that pleases you.

So, what interests you? Modern warfare or ancient warfare? Land, air, or naval combat? Close-up skirmishes or epic campaigns? Capturing a hill or capturing a city or a whole country?

I've been into wargaming for over forty years, but I've never found my "ultimate" wargame. Just some good ones. And they're only good for me, not for everybody. Lately my favorite is Lock 'n Load. It's got plenty of exciting, close-up combat action without a lot of fiddly rules.

So, what do you think you would like?

(Also, you'll get more replies if you repost this in the Wargames subdomain.)

I think it I like more ancient war than modern. But if I see the videos of Axes & Allies series, that is not my thing. People thold me that is a game that can take hole night. A game for about 4h, is that to short for a good war game?? More the style of Tide of Iron maybe, that style.
The opinion of the gamers can bring me on ideas for other boardgames that I never thought about. =-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunter Wanten
Belgium
flag msg tools
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Also, see this GeekList.

Yes, i've seen the list.
But that doesn't mean that everybody agree with that list, thats why I want everybodys opinion. You played the games you like over and over , you guys know best what is good for youre war game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flat Top

WW2 Pacific carrier battles with hidden movement. Incredibly tense and having a good system for aircraft prep, launch, and landing.

Down side is TREMENDOUS time to play (some daylight turns take more than the hour which they simulate), and a requirement for very careful attention while the opponent is searching. You need to have someone you trust to play this game, as well.

Simply a GREAT game - if you love the theme (as I do), and are willing to put in the work.

As for Commands and Colours (and related games like Memoir '44 and Battlelore)? TERRIBLE rules. I mean - I keep shaking my head at the rules when playing M 44. Really bad. I made up better rules with a buddy when we were kids playing with our army men.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the chandrian wrote:
My favorite is Game of Thrones. Mostly because of the simultaneous decision making. Most war games I've played have considerable downtime, and this has next to none. It also has more interaction than just "I killed your dudes." So much more politics.

I also have really enjoyed Warrior Knights, for many of the same reasons, but the other is probably better. But they are different enough that I enjoy playing both. This one isn't a pure war game, however, and is more about politics than conquest.

Edit: I just noticed that neither of these are considered war games on this site, so maybe this isn't what you were looking for. Maybe I play so little of the genre that I've mis-classified. Anyone want to tell me why these games wouldn't be considered war games?

Really The GoT game is definitely a war game. The fantasy setting (even though I don't remember much fantasy in the game) maybe? Dunno.

Twilight Struggle is a war game and GoT is not? That baffles me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
In order, my favorites are: Manoeuvre, Commands and Colors: Ancients, and Twilight Struggle (although that one is borderline not a war game imo). As far as heavier war games, my pick is Combat Commander. I also enjoy Warriors of God a damn lot, but I always lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Procyk
Canada
Ottawa (Orléans)
Ontario
flag msg tools
World in Flames

or

Empires in Arms

They are all consuming.

Of course you need the table space, the players and the time to play them. That is a difficult combination to put together.

But there is no finer gaming experience...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.