Les Cheung
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
what are you in the mood for today?
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cryptozoic.com/blogs/rd-blog-dc-deck-building-var...

I like the second one but I've been thinking of altering it a bit.

Les

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first variant is a bit too clunky for my tastes. This game is all about speed of setup and play. Even if the game itself might take longer, it should be moving at a good pace. I'm interested in trying out the second variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fuller
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt's point that the Super Villains get defeated more quickly in the endgame is accurate, and I think this 2nd variant is a good fix for that.

Since the cards when acquired do work as normal cards in your deck, having them in the lineup still works. And thematically it follows quite well - to have all the supervillains terrorizing the heroes as a team, in a way.

There may be card draw treachery when there's an early and often assault of supervillains to hit the lineup, but that's to be expected in any deck-based game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Cheung
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you could always incorporate the "Lurtz always last" setup from Cryptozoic's LOTR DBG and simply pick the Anti Monitor (or other 12 cost super villain) to be last in the deck. If going through the entire Main deck w/12 villains makes for too long a game, you could always randomly remove 1/4 of the deck prior to shuffling in the 11 super villains and placing the Anti Monitor at the bottom.

Les
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about it and I'm not sure if that supervillain variant is a good idea. There's going to be some serious deck bloating going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
I've been thinking about it and I'm not sure if that supervillain variant is a good idea. There's going to be some serious deck bloating going on.

If your group plays very cautiously with regard to buying cards, yes, having to get through the whole line-up deck will by necessity add plenty of cards. You certainly can't just pass on buying anything if you want the game to move forward. One player could do that and get away with it, but if more than one does, the whole game will grind a lot.

Maybe include the option of pitching a card (or some cards) from the line-up? Something like the Search option in Star Trek Deck Building would potentially help with that, although I've found that makes people's turn take longer.
You could also include it as a clean-up option. That should could your turns tight, but it means you can keep things moving and have some strategic control over what your foes can access.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Finnigan
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I like the second option, but I'm curious, how do you all handle resolutions of First Appearances? Would you make them happen;

A. Even if the line-up is mid refill, the moment a SV appears their FA goes off?

B. Once all the line-up has been revealed, SVs go off in the order they were revealed?

Is that how people are playing, or is there another way I'm not thinking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Cheung
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we resolved the FA attacks as soon as the villain appears in the Lineup.

we made a further adjustment in order to keep the game moving rather than having to go through the entire Main Deck to finish the game.

During Setup, we:

removed 57 cards (50%) (for 2 player game)
removed 38 cards (33%) (for 3 player game)
removed 28 cards (25%) (for 4 player game)
removed 22 cards (20%) (for 5 player game)

Then we kept 1 of the "12" cost super villains (Anti Monitor, Parallax) randomly set aside, and shuffled the remaining super villains (11 of them) into the Main Deck. We then placed the Main Deck on top of the other "12" cost villain we had previously set aside so that the game will end on one of the worst villains. (similar to the Lurtz setup from Cryptozoic's LOTR DBG)

This seems to be working ok at the moment.

we also tried playing with the idea that:

a) when Super Villains are revealed into the Line Up, they must start in the first (6th) space and push every card over.

b) after each player's turn, any villains in the Lineup move to the next spot by swapping places along the Lineup.

c) when a Super Villain moves off the last space, we placed it on the Super Villain space (from the original game setup) where their First Appearance power activates again. If 6 Super Villains accumulate on this spot, everyone loses.

FuriousMILK wrote:
I like the second option, but I'm curious, how do you all handle resolutions of First Appearances? Would you make them happen;

A. Even if the line-up is mid refill, the moment a SV appears their FA goes off?

B. Once all the line-up has been revealed, SVs go off in the order they were revealed?

Is that how people are playing, or is there another way I'm not thinking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff James
msg tools
Just played this variant and love it. Think I will play this way more often then not. Liked the random first appearances of the super villians. In the normal game you can wait until you feel like taking out a SV or two this way it forces you more to take them out. Yes your deck can get pretty big but I really enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting! I had forgotten about trying this one out. So just how much longer does the game take to play this way? I have NEVER played a game that went through the entire deck before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff James
msg tools
I'm not sure about the time but I'm sure it was longer. We played it only two player that where experienced so it wasn't too long. Our scores where pretty crazy something like 132 to 110? My buddy ended up with a crazy big deck and I had a smaller but way more powerful one. In the end it was desided by me getting Bazaro card. One thing that could help would be a way to clear the lineup without buying the cards besides the one SV. We both thought it was better this way if you have the extra time to do it

Sorry if this double post iPhone went on the fritz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff616 wrote:
I'm not sure about the time but I'm sure it was longer. We played it only two player that where experienced so it wasn't too long. Our scores where pretty crazy something like 132 to 110? My buddy ended up with a crazy big deck and I had a smaller but way more powerful one. In the end it was desided by me getting Bazaro card. One thing that could help would be a way to clear the lineup without buying the cards besides the one SV. We both thought it was better this way if you have the extra time to do it

Sorry if this double post iPhone went on the fritz

Those are some pretty high scores.

What if you said that if you didn't buy at least one car from the lineup, then it flushed? That might add a strategic element in that you might not but a card if you couldn't afford an expensive one to make sure it flushed before your opponent DID buy the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.