Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
395 weeks later, and here we are....

Thank you again Robert for nominating me, I had a blast with my week in the geeklight! Really quickly, here's a short video on my 2 truths and 1 lie and the introduction to our next, super passionate, super cool, super geeky, geek of the week...

And..... here's your next Geek of the Week!

Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

After an awesome video like that, there's some clues hidden in there about the below:

Poll
2 Truths and 1 Lie:
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I was ranked in the top 100 best world wide online players in Star Craft.
35.1% 34
During a Heroscape tournament, I rolled a 20 3x's in a row with Deadeye Dan killing my opponents Braxas in one shot.
25.8% 25
My second Gen Con I attended was because of a radio contest where I had to guess the fake news story. I won two 4 day Gen Con passes. I couldn't find anybody to go with me, so the second ticket was wasted.
39.2% 38
Voters 97
This poll is now closed.   97 answers
Poll created by Toxziq
Closes: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:00 am

And of course, what kind of geek-torch-passer would I be if I didn't start the week off with my own set of questions for Mr. 396...

d10-1 What made you start making game review videos?
d10-2 You have a lot of games from when some of us were younger, have you ever thought about reviewing them and do a "retro" style review?
d10-3 What game from your childhood would you remake and modernize if you could?
d10-4 Aliens just landed in your backyard and you only have time to play one game and introduce them to humanity... what's the game and why?
d10-5 Who is the better board gamer? You or Carmen? (Or your kids!?)
d10-6 What's the most challenging part about being "the Grey Elephant"?
d10-7 If you could make any video game into a board game, which would it be and why?
d10-8 You have one quarter.... Joust, Defender, Zaxxon, or Q-Bert?
d10-9 What's your favorite game mechanic and why?
d10-1d10-0 Blue, Yellow, or Green? (And no, I'm not talking player pieces Mr. Jedi )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations GreyElephant!! Tim and elephant family the coolest I've ever met in the gaming industry. Now that you are famous, don't forget the little people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Great video, I especially liked the enthusiasm - reminded me a little of:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhi
hCongratulations Tim!h
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred MacKenzie
United States
Florence
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Tim! (and family)

These questions are for all four of you.

What game that you've never played are you most interested in trying?

What game that you have played, but don't own, would you most like to have?

What's the best place to eat at while at GenCon?

That's it!

Fred

ps. thanks for the prominent display of my little game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations and hope you have a wonderful week!

Great last name by the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Tim, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to you and your Family Time! Well deserved, I've enjoyed watching your videos for some time now and always appreciate the folks who involve their family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

First off, thanks again Scott. I am so excited about this week. Still a little nervous as well.

Now to your quetions.

A lot of things! When I first came to BGG, I was overwhelmed by all the choices available and I had no idea where to start. I started watching a video series called Boardgames With Scott. I LOVED the way he went about not only giving his opinion, but REALLY teaching you the game as well. Not too mention, he always kept it entertaining. He never steered me wrong on a game. However, I did still make some unwise purchases based off of the 'hotness' on BGG. Games that were not bad, but simply didn't work for me. I knew I wanted to help others avoid the same pitfalls that I fell into. That's why I want to give people as much information on a game I possibly can.

d10-2 You have a lot of games from when some of us were younger, have you ever thought about reviewing them and do a "retro" style review?

I would love to!!! Only problem is, would anybody care to watch? So far I have been so busy it would be tough to squeeze, but I think it would be a blast to do a Fobidden Bridge, Fireball Island, Weapons and Warriors, and Godzilla series. Certainly something to think about!

d10-3 What game from your childhood would you remake and modernize if you could?

Heroquest! I don't own this game anymore. In fact, I never did. My buddy had it and we used to play at his house. This license should be renewed for our younger generation.

d10-4 Aliens just landed in your backyard and you only have time to play one game and introduce them to humanity... what's the game and why?

First off, I wouldn't want to give them too many ideas by playing a game such as Conquest of the Planet Earth or Operation. I'm thinking we would play Escape: Curse of the Temple. Sit back and watch the frusteration as they roll Curses.

When she focuses, she's amazing! She can beat me at pretty much anything. She's been on a crazy win streak here at the house. So, yes I would choose Carmen. Like you didn't expect that?

Time. I wish I had more. Balance is so difficult at times. I want to produce great videos, but at the same time I have to always remember I do have little ones who need me more. Balance is so essential in doing what I do. You can easily get carried away by the attention.

d10-7 If you could make any video game into a board game, which would it be and why?

Mario Kart. Do I really need to say why? It would be so kickbutt! I've seen people make custom Mario Kart Pitch Car sets. To actually see somehting like that be produced would be awesome! I would to have the boxes on the board, gain power ups, chances at powerslides. It would be amazing!

Joust! Still got that one on the Atari 7800 and play every blue moon. Second would be Defender. I still have plenty of fond memories of that wonderful game.

It would have to be Cooperative Play. I love working together as a team to solve problems. Coop games typically are more "party" like in a sense that everybody is involved. Second would have to be Hand Management (deck building). I am a huge fan of deck builders. Legendary, Thunderstone, Eminent Domain....you name it, I've played it. Thirdly would be a tie between Worker Placement and fists full of dice! I know those kinda contradict one another in a sense, but we consider ourselves Omnigamers!

d10-1d10-0 Blue, Yellow, or Green? (And no, I'm not talking player pieces Mr. Jedi )

Tim - Blue
Carmen - Yellow
Emily - Red
Jake - Green

That was fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dewdundency wrote:
Congratulations GreyElephant!! Tim and elephant family the coolest I've ever met in the gaming industry. Now that you are famous, don't forget the little people!

Thanks Adam! I wouldn't dare ever think I am something more than I really am.

I am by far the most humble person I know. Fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kreikkaturkulainen wrote:
Congratulations! Great video, I especially liked the enthusiasm - reminded me a little of:

Thank you! That video was a little weird. Maybe that's why I related to it so well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CMG2 wrote:

That's it!

Fred

Hey Fred!

Eclipse! I actually own it. I recently bought it at Barnes and Nobles and am chomping at the bit to get it on the table.

Descent. I used to own it but ended up trading it away. One of the dumbest things I've ever done.

My place!

I like Noodles and Company! I'll buy come Gen Con my friend.

Oh you mean Monsters and Maidens or one of my all time favorite games, Princes of the Dragon Throne?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lees
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many congratlations on your nomination Tim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus Kirby
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, my friend! Enjoy your week of geek love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Norris
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CMG2 wrote:

That's it!

Fred

Hmm well our son just turned 6, so I don't think he could really answer these. Our daughter is 10... I'll try but I am still recovering from our son's 6 year birthday party. lol

I don't have any one in particular, but I would love to try a really involved role-playing game. That would be great. I just don't have the time. Maybe when the kids are older. I am also very excited about Eclipse. It looks like it might just be the gaming experience I was hoping to get out of Empires of the Void (I still get annoyed when I think about that game.) I am also intrigued by A Game of Thrones.

Evo is one I was almost ready to pay big bucks for but luckily they re-released it.

Tim pretty much buys any game he knows I will play so there's not much there... Libertalia would qualify for that category. Love that game. The other isn't released yet, so I won't be too geeky in my enthusiasm yet.

Noodles & Company was really, really good! But yeah, we usually just drive home and eat here. We are looking forward to having some company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Norris
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow great intro video Scott!
Toxziq wrote:
And of course, what kind of geek-torch-passer would I be if I didn't start the week off with my own set of questions for Mr. 396...

Honestly, it would have to be my ADD. There are a lot of review videos that I just can't make it through. I couldn't even watch some of the ones we used to make. I wanted to change the format, get things really condensed, and make several videos per game so that they could all be short but get across the particular information that someone is looking for.

That would be cool. I would love that since I still love a lot of the older games. I really like being able to take our time to enjoy the games we love and not have to always go for what's new.

From my childhood? hmmm... Crossbows and Catapults? But seriously, I loved Attacktix and if I could revamp it and re-release it I would be thrilled. I am so mad that it is discontinued.

Martian Dice of course. Then I could scare them with my superior dice-rolling skills.

Well, I think it depends on the game. With a strategy game like Hoplomachus or Hive Tim gets me almost every time.

Emi is the best Werewolf player. lol

The time involved. There are times when he stays up later than he should to make sure a video finishes uploading, or when I have to rush home from activities with my daughter to make sure we get a video done on time. I would really like to get away from any deadlines.

Mario party would be awesome. laugh

Q-Bert

Resource Management. There's usually a lot of multi-tasking, and I love the realness of having little bits rather than cards.

Well what color did Mara Jade have?purple OH! Player pieces! Yellow. Um, not sure why. It was probably all that was left after my family picked their favorites. Mom always gets the leftovers. lol I would go with pink but not every game has that color, and my daughter would grab it first anyway. Sticking with yellow keeps me from getting confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! congrats! Much geek love for you Tim!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Tim! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on GotW. enjoy the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Tim!
Here's some questions:

If you were to design the ultimate Kaiju boardgame, what sort of mechanics would it feature?

Which of Gojira's foes is your favorite and why?

What are your feelings about Disney taking over Lucasfilms and the upcoming Star Wars movie?

Did the prequel movies do anything to change your fandom of Boba Fett?

What color is your light sabre? What color is Femmelephant's?

Have you ever played The Creature That Ate Sheboygan or Crush, Crumble and Chomp!?

I hope you have an excellent week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Wrightsman
United States
Greenfield
INDIANA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS TIM!

WOW, I actually know a celebrity. Please don't forget us little people now that you've received this deserved honor.

Have a great week Tim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Tim!

Here's some questions:

If you were to design the ultimate Kaiju boardgame, what sort of mechanics would it feature?

Oh man! What a question! Off the top of my head, it would be neat to see some sort of cooperative monster smashing game. Maybe you have to destroy the city before they drop the nuke on you. Think Rampage. There needs to be a way to get the monsters to level up giving them more special abilities. They eat people for energy. Tanks, helicopters, and army men are always shooting at them. I think that would be a winner. For me atleast.

Which of Gojira's foes is your favorite and why?

Destroyah is my favorite. Technically, he did beat Godzilla, but in the end, there can only be ONE King of the Monsters. Great movie! Honorable mention would be King Ghidorah. He needed arms. LOL! Then last but not least in any way would be Space Godzilla.

What are your feelings about Disney taking over Lucasfilms and the upcoming Star Wars movie?

I'm thinking it will be great. They've done an amazing job with Marvel! If they can capture the feel of the original trilogy, they will have a gold mine. Lucas was past his prime. It was about time he gave up the license to a generation who fell in love with Star Wars during it's glory days.

Did the prequel movies do anything to change your fandom of Boba Fett?

No, not really. I do think they should of had Boba take down Mace Windu. I thought it was kinda neat to see where Boba got his mojo. They could've done more with it, but we are talking about Lucas here.

To be honest, I don't look at much of what happen in EP 1,2,3 as anything important. They tried to recreate the Star Wars franchise and came up short. EP 1 was painful.

Purple after Mace Windu. I loved the story of Windu. The books were so well done during this period. He was always on the verge of falling to the darkside. Had his own style of fighting called Vaapad that no other Jedi could quite master due to it's ferocity. I'll let Carmen answer for her color.

Have you ever played The Creature That Ate Sheboygan or Crush, Crumble and Chomp!?

No, I have not played either. In fact, I had never even heard of Crash, Crumble, and Chomp until now. I'm looking at pictures of it now and man this looks fun!

The Creature That Ate Sheboyagan was always on my radar until I finally broke down and bought Monsterpocalypse. Privateer Press really screwed up the way they handled Monsterpocalypse since day one. It's very unfortunate.

I hope you have an excellent week!

Thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Rexford!

Thanks, Joe. Yes, Norris is an awesome name. Too bad for anybody who isn't named so.

Thank you, Chris!

Thanks, Clinton! It's always been important to me to make this about all of us and not just me. I love including my family in these videos so much. I feel it really gives an honest impression of the games.

Thanks, Robin. I've always appreciated your support!

Thanks, Father Geek! You are an inspiration and a gentlemen!

Thanks, Robert! My son is still looking for gnomes.

Thanks, Stasia!

Thank you, Ronald. I most certainly will!

Thanks, Terry! Impossible! Missed playing games on Thursdays with you buddy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Norris
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greyelephant wrote:

I'll let Carmen answer for her color.
See I was going to say purple too... Mara Jade's is purple and it seems more feminine. We haven't made custom lightsabers with our costumes so I don't technically have a lightsaber color. Something to work on.

I like Episode 1 because it is beautiful. I can appreciate looking at all of the wonder... but yeah, the movies didn't live up to the original. The Clone Wars cartoons were an improvement to the Star Wars universe though, took some of the sting out of the prequels not being up to par.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grats Tim!! Well Deserved. Will the next GotW also rhyme with "orris"?

Have you finished Heart of the Swarm yet?

What is your fav race for 2v2?

I am a LOW silver Terran player, what opening should I use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.