Subject: Starting my collection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am GOING FOR IT...just a question: besides getting the core box which other TWO teams are suitable for newbies? I have some basic experience with Warhammer Fantasy and seems Blood Bowl has some similarities but I don't want to complicate things at the beginning. Currently my choice would be the Necromantic team with no other reason that looks cool and has a werewolf, but I am not sure this would be a good choice for a newbie team. What other teams are fine for beginners?

Also, is it a good idea to already get an Ogre figure for the Humans and a Troll fig for the Orcs? Should a go for a star player? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, first thing to address is which edition rules will you be using. You posted this under 3e, where there is no Necromantic team and no Big Guys (Ogre for Humans, Troll for Orcs). Under 3e, Morg would be an Ogre Star Player (for Human, Orc, Chaos and Goblins), as would Ripper Bolgrot (a Troll). Big Guys, Necro and other such stuff is found in the Blood Bowl: Living Rulebook .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes using the most recent rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Human and Orc teams that come in the box are pretty nice, you get to see a team focused more on bashing (Orcs) and a team that shows what you can do with passing game (Humans). One way to go about expanding might be to just take each of those approaches even further, Dwarves for a bashy-bashy game and one of the good Elves for passing (Wood Elves would be ideal, though they are a bit fragile, so Pro or High might be better). Or just go with a team that interests you/your crew. Necromantic from what I can recall isn't all that bad, Werewolves are really their stars, rest of the roster a bit lacking. Under LRB, Star Players have gotten a serious price bump, making them rather too expensive IMO (Morg was 190k in 3e, 430k in LRB I believe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Wunderlin
United States
Sylvania
oh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All Teams have their merits. I think new player tend to like developing players, so I recommend higher AV teams, so Orcs and Dark Elves probably give you a good look at how they play differently. Skaven are agile, fast, and cheap so they play pretty well for newer players, but their low AV could mean replacing players each and every game. Necro is a good team, but the wolves and ghouls will hog all you SPP, while the rest of your players will be scrubs.

A good reference is fumbbl.com

May Nuffle be with you! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome dude I just did the same thing picked up the core set. Converted a box of dwarves, beast men and chaos warriors and bought the dark elves. Now I got 5 teams time for a tourny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick answer: High Elves and Humans are great teams for beginners.

Long answer: Which teams you should get really depends on what you like and how you are planning to play. If you like to maim your opponents, go for Orcs, Dwarfs, and Chaos All-Stars. If you enjoy scoring a lot, go for Elves (High Elves, Wood Elves, etc.) or Skavens.

Necromantic team is not recommended for beginners. Once the Star players and Werewolves are out of the game, there's not much you can do. Re-rolls are too expensive as well...but very much needed. Maybe start with the Undead team first...and then once you know how to play them, advance to the Necromantic team.

I always try to get a major player (Big Guys or Stars) or 2 on my team. Not everyone agrees with that method though...as they think these guys are just waste of money, and spend money on re-rolls and replacement players instead.

Personally, I enjoy scoring, so I love playing with the High Elf team, because they don't get hurt as easily as other Elf teams. My personal favorite though is the Wood Elf team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like bashing, and thus I prefer orcs over humans.. But both are good starter teams. So are dwarfs, mainly for their tendency to not go down. They won't get you many goals though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thain Esh Kelch wrote:
So are dwarfs, mainly for their tendency to not go down.

Bah, they go down just like any other devil , they just keep getting up more often than some other teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.