Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Lair of the Wyrm» Forums » Rules

Subject: New classes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Mantziaris
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello all. A few days ago we decided to play an epic mode quest with 2 people from our group that play the campaign in order to test the new classes. We used Avric as disciple, Jain as wildlander, Reynhart as champion and Quellen as geomancer. I played as both Avric and Quellen. These are the talents and weapons for each hero:

Avric --> Cleansing Touch, Divine Fury and Holy Power -- Items: Ice Storm, Ring of Power and a pair of boots from the expansion that gives 2MP when you raise a hero and 2 removes 2 fatigue from the ressed hero
Quellen --> Stone Tongue, Ley Line and Cataclysm -- Weapon: Lightning Strike
Reynhart --> Glory of Battle, Motivating Charge and Valorous Strike -- Items: Grinding Axe nad Mana Weave
Jain --> Accurate, Bow Mastery and Black Arrow -- Items: A bow from the expansion with 1 red, yellow and blue dice.

I admit that the skills and weapons we got gave us extreve damage output and that maybe we wouldn't last a scenario where we would get loads of damage. However, the OL didn't really have many opportunities to inflict any damage to us.

We played the Wyrm Turns. I must say the OL got his ass kicked so hard I felt sorry for him.
During encounter 1 he managed to kill 2 heroes when we first opened the door, only cause we managed to hit 4 (1) misses in a row, wasting both Reynhart's and Quellen's attacks.
Still next round everyone was up and alive and while the OL had 3 out of the 4 monster groups released we kiled all 3 master monsters during 1 turn.
the highlight was Quellen's ability to shoot 3 attacks with Cataclysm (...) killing the monster dragon and some minions. Then Jain killed another master and Reynhart oneshoted master Sentinel.
Encounter 2 went like this and Belthir died in 3 turns...
(needless to say the Ol vowed never to play as OL again)

So the questions are:
- When you Terracall and summon a Stone, I suppose you cannot attack with it until the end of the hero's turn? The same way like the Necromancer's familiar? ( we did it that way)
- Do all of your attacks get the extra dice when you have been casted Prayer of Healing and use Cataclysm or just the first one? ( we decided the first one)
- When a geomancer attacks measuring range from a Stone that is adjacent to a shadow dragon, does he have to spend 1 surge to hit the dragon when he is not in range of the said dragon? If that's true then does he also get 1 surge for attacking a monster that is adjacent to a Stone?
- Can a hero use Valor of Heroes regardless of range from the champion? How many valors can he use? Is it only 1 valor for 1 damage or the card suggests it's a 1 to 1 conversion for as many valors you want?
- The OL plays card No Rest for the Wicked on a monster. When a hero fatigue-moves can he move only this monster or can he choose another one? The second paragraph doesn't specify this but we decided it's only for the said monster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gondolin1989 wrote:
When you Terracall and summon a Stone, I suppose you cannot attack with it until the end of the hero's turn? The same way like the Necromancer's familiar? ( we did it that way)

Yes, because terracall has to be exhausted for a stone to attack, the stone has to activate (and attack) after the hero is done with his actions...

gondolin1989 wrote:
Do all of your attacks get the extra dice when you have been casted Prayer of Healing and use Cataclysm or just the first one? ( we decided the first one)

Just the first round that same round...

gondolin1989 wrote:
When a geomancer attacks measuring range from a Stone that is adjacent to a shadow dragon, does he have to spend 1 surge to hit the dragon when he is not in range of the said dragon? If that's true then does he also get 1 surge for attacking a monster that is adjacent to a Stone?

If the geomancer is attacking via a skill, then yes, a surge is necessary due to it being the hero attacking "as" the adjacent stone... It's worth noting, though, the FFG rules that a stone attacking (i.e. via terracall) does not have to spend a surge to hit an adjacent shadow dragon because the stone is a familiar treated as an obstacle and is not treated as a hero...

gondolin1989 wrote:
Can a hero use Valor of Heroes regardless of range from the champion? How many valors can he use? Is it only 1 valor for 1 damage or the card suggests it's a 1 to 1 conversion for as many valors you want?

Yes, once a hero has valor he can run off and use it whenever he/she wants to... As for spending it, you can only spend one per attack to add one heart, or you can spend one per defense roll to add one shield...

gondolin1989 wrote:
The OL plays card No Rest for the Wicked on a monster. When a hero fatigue-moves can he move only this monster or can he choose another one? The second paragraph doesn't specify this but we decided it's only for the said monster

That's actually a really good question, and I'd be curious to see everyone else's response... We played it as the OL can move any monster every time a fatigue is used to move, but re-reading the card makes me think that the OL has to pick one monster and that is the only monster than can be moved by the card...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siu Kee Lee
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gondolin1989 wrote:

- The OL plays card No Rest for the Wicked on a monster. When a hero fatigue-moves can he move only this monster or can he choose another one? The second paragraph doesn't specify this but we decided it's only for the said monster

Emproc has already answered most of the questions nicely, so I'll try this one.

I'll say that the OL can choose to move any monster. The cards says "You may choose to activate this ability..." where 'this ability' refers to "Choose a monster to move 1 space immediately after the hero spends his fatigue MP."

That is, hero fatigue MP, you choose monster to move, end. Next fatigue MP, rinse and repeat.

This card is especially powerful against Quellen and Wildlanders, especially when used on large monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Moogle wrote:

I'll say that the OL can choose to move any monster. The cards says "You may choose to activate this ability..." where 'this ability' refers to "Choose a monster to move 1 space immediately after the hero spends his fatigue MP."

This is correct. Each time a hero spends fatigue to move, the OL may trigger the ability anew, which means he can choose a new monster each time. It also means large monsters are shrinking and expanding for a single space of movement each time, which can add up to a lot of extra movement for a canny OL.

It's also worth noting that the ability triggers when the hero suffers the fatigue to gain the MP. Heroes are not required to spend that MP immediately, but the monster would need to move immediately after the fatigue is suffered.

A strict interpretation would also mean that the monster gets to move before the hero does, even if the hero was planning to move right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just FYI...

Justin wrote:

You can choose a different monster for each fatigue suffered.

Thanks,
Justin Kemppainen
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
jkemppainen@fantasyflightgames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.