Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to put together an Imperial build for a tourney. I've never played Imperials in a tourney and was thinking this might be ok.

100 points
Turr Phennir (31) - Upgrades: Push the Limit (3), Stealth Device (3)
Howlrunner (21) - Upgrades: Stealth Device (3)
Academy Pilot (12) x4

The idea being to initially stick it out in formation as much as possible to bring 5/6 weapons to bear at once. Turr could then "freelance" if the opportunity presented itself.

Thoughts/critiques welcome.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it! Come in hot with the mini swarm and flank with the slippery interceptor.

The only thing I would change is swap out PTL with Veteran Instincts on Turr for 2 reasons.

1) Gain initiative with 98 points, which I'll explain below
2) By gaining initiative, Turr will almost always fire first at pilot skill 9 and get out of the (primary) firing arcs of highly skilled rebels (e.g. Wedge, Tycho, Horton).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kraft
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xBino wrote:
I like it! Come in hot with the mini swarm and flank with the slippery interceptor.

The only thing I would change is swap out PTL with Veteran Instincts on Turr for 2 reasons.

2) By gaining initiative, Turr will almost always fire first at pilot skill 9 and get out of the (primary) firing arcs of highly skilled rebels (e.g. Wedge, Tycho, Horton).

Turr shines with Push the Limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enies wrote:
xBino wrote:

Turr shines with Push the Limit.

Ya I was really torn between ptl and vet. Both have definitive advantages. Hopefully I'll get some play testing in before the tourney to see which fits my play style best. Thx for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trenden Flanigan
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
Bones, Baby!
badge
Ortho Doc
mbmbmbmbmb
Statistically speaking, you have a better defense on Howlrunner using PTL unstead of stealth device. 3 dice with a focus and evade beats 4 dice. Especially since you can still use it after hit once, for the same cost. It does limit movement, though. Not by a ton, mind you, since TIEs have a lot of green. But it does.

Also, I would consider upgrading an academy pilot to a black squadron with draw their fire. This allows you more staying power in drawing lucky rolls off of Turr and/or Howlrunner (especially since they will likely be the first targets). This will cost you three points. In exchange, I would pick only 2 of the following:
PTL on Turr
Stealth on Turr
PTL on Howlrunner

Just my 2 cents worth. Take it or leave it, haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littlebull76 wrote:
Statistically speaking, you have a better defense on Howlrunner using PTL unstead of stealth device. 3 dice with a focus and evade beats 4 dice.

Depends on how many shots you gotta fade, right? (Usually, with Howlrunner, that's "everybody.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trenden Flanigan
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
Bones, Baby!
badge
Ortho Doc
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Wilder wrote:
littlebull76 wrote:
Statistically speaking, you have a better defense on Howlrunner using PTL unstead of stealth device. 3 dice with a focus and evade beats 4 dice.

Depends on how many shots you gotta fade, right? (Usually, with Howlrunner, that's "everybody.")

Still not sure that I entirely agree, just because if ANY of the first people hit, then that die is done. PTL can be reused every turn. And gives you at least 1 guaranteed miss. As you stated, everyone is probably shooting at howlrunner, so that 1 evade could very well be 1 extra HP.

But to each their own. By all means, if you are my opponent, use the stealth device instead! ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
littlebull76 wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
littlebull76 wrote:

Still not sure that I entirely agree, just because if ANY of the first people hit, then that die is done. PTL can be reused every turn. And gives you at least 1 guaranteed miss. As you stated, everyone is probably shooting at howlrunner, so that 1 evade could very well be 1 extra HP.

But to each their own. By all means, if you are my opponent, use the stealth device instead! ;-)

the problem with using PTL as "defense" is that it is amazingly good for that 1 round, then you realize for your next round you are totally screwed because your only greens are bank 2 and forward 2-3, and your whites would not get you out of range of your attackers, and he did just park one of his ships directly in front of you to block off your green maneuvers, and so for your next turn you would not get any actions whatsoever, and he pretty much knows exactly where you are, unless you decide to pull a fanciful white hard 3 in some random direction (which would continue to screw up your next few turns due to the stress token). Even elusiveness is more useful, in that as long as you manage to get rid of the stress token, you can re-use it. Same goes for expert handling, which grants you "immunity" against target locks

all in all, I really wouldn't recommend PTL as a form of defense on howlrunner, or on anything except TIEint or Awings for that matter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Duraham wrote:
the problem with using PTL as "defense" is that it is amazingly good for that 1 round, then you realize for your next round you are totally screwed...

I agree with almost this whole post, except that in my experience Elusiveness causes exactly the same problem.

I've played with Push the Limit a lot, and I like it a lot, but it needs to be put on a ship with a really generous amount of green on the dial (meaning, as Duraham pointed out, an Interceptor or A-wing) or it needs to be paired with an upgrade that allows better access to green maneuvers (R2 Astromech or, in a pinch, Nien Nunb). On Howlrunner, it's just a slow form of suicide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:
Duraham wrote:
the problem with using PTL as "defense" is that it is amazingly good for that 1 round, then you realize for your next round you are totally screwed...

I agree with almost this whole post, except that in my experience Elusiveness causes exactly the same problem.

I've played with Push the Limit a lot, and I like it a lot, but it needs to be put on a ship with a really generous amount of green on the dial (meaning, as Duraham pointed out, an Interceptor or A-wing) or it needs to be paired with an upgrade that allows better access to green maneuvers (R2 Astromech or, in a pinch, Nien Nunb). On Howlrunner, it's just a slow form of suicide.

fortunately I wasn't really considering ptl on Howlrunner. She's going to have enough problems without ptl.

Thanks everyone. This is a good discussion and getting my brain working properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
Vorpal Sword wrote:
Duraham wrote:

my point is that if your opponent is going for the action denial via collisions, at the very least your elusiveness would grant you some form of protection, so long as you do not have any stress yet. you are still stuck with the exact same problem, just that you have more opportunities to use elusiveness, which isnt too impressive, but at least its still something on a howlrunner denied of her actions.

you are still screwed, just more gently this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.