Subject: In the works?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the long-fabled Mythotopia finally in the stages of being published?
I just stumbled upon this announcement on the Treefrog site:
A Study in Emerald (soon on Kickstarter)

Now, being both quite a fan of Martin Wallace's designs (well, most of them, at least), and an even more fervent fan of Neil Gaiman, this is, in itself, already outstanding news for me.

Alas, the game also looks like it could be this one, Mythotopia, at last. Having said that, there are some differences in gameplay to what I would expect a 4-player AfAoS to be. However, I have had no information about Mythotopia, whatsoever, other than "deckbuilding", "map-based" and "highly speculative conjecture". So maybe this really is it?

In any case, whenever the Kickstarter goes online, I will probably be quite in front of the queue. Sod the postage and customs, this time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The people who know can't say, and the people who can talk don't know.

I'm in the second category; I don't know, but I believe that the Gaiman/Holmes/Cthulu game is not related to Mythotopia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I know. I just wanted to throw my speculation on the table, and see what sticks...

[Edit]
Read the rules, now. And it does not sound at all like AfAoS, so my bad. Sorry to cry wolf, here...

That said, I think it sounds like a lot of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Asmodee/Marabunta are still working on Mythotopia - cleaning up rules and arranging artwork. I'm not sure when it will be published as that is up to Asmodee.

I'm sure when both games are out it will be clear that even though they share a common type of mechanic they are very different games.

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frog1 wrote:
Asmodee/Marabunta are still working on Mythotopia - cleaning up rules and arranging artwork. I'm not sure when it will be published as that is up to Asmodee.

I'm sure when both games are out it will be clear that even though they share a common type of mechanic they are very different games.

Martin

Fine fine. But when is the KS Campaign for 'Emerald kicking off?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frog1 wrote:

Martin

Martin, thanks for an official word from the man himself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kenntoft
Spain
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You so i thought i bump this thread again.

I for one can't wait to play a 4 player game that resembles the legendary a Few Acres of Snow....

I haven't played aFAoS, but im not in need of another 2p and besides ive read too much about the game to know there's a thing called "the hallifax hammer of doom"

So, this sounds perfect to me... But, when is it coming out?! Any progress?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethidium Bromide
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
mb
Frog1 wrote:

Martin

Anyone knows more about Mythotopia's progress in development?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And another bump in case Asmodee or Martin have news.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
And another bump in case Asmodee or Martin have news.

Thanks.

...Aaaaaaannnd

news:

Treefrog Games Returns with Mythotopia, Ships & A Game to Be Named Later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
carnalito wrote:

I for one can't wait to play a 4 player game that resembles the legendary a Few Acres of Snow.... I haven't played aFAoS....
So, this sounds perfect to me...

If you Had played A Few Acres you'd be that bit warier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catmando wrote:
carnalito wrote:

I for one can't wait to play a 4 player game that resembles the legendary a Few Acres of Snow.... I haven't played aFAoS....
So, this sounds perfect to me...

If you Had played A Few Acres you'd be that bit warier.

You mean if you were one of the people who read and adopted the H/H (or just dismissed the game out of hand once hearing about it) because the majority of people actually rate the game really highly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Panic!
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got 18 recorded plays of A Few Acres Of Snow. For me, this was the most revolutionary use of the deck building idea implemented into an asynchronous battle. Brilliant idea, and I couldn't be more excited about this. Mythotopia has been at the top of my wish list for almost three years now, dating back to having a little peek inside the prototype box at the UK Games Expo. I have every faith that Martin Wallace can deliver with this game.

In most cases, those that belittle the achievement of aFAoS have very few recorded plays, if any, and base their opinions on the thoughts of others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes more than a few plays to really grasp the Halifax hammer, much less pull it off properly. People talk about how easy it is - well go try it yourself, is my advice. You'd have a 100% win rate online if it was really just "not-even-worth-playing-the-game" kind of broken. I think they've learned a lot with from an admitted mistake with that game, and Mythopia seems to address the biggest issue with variable setups. I'm cautiously optimistic, if they find the right price point for their general release it'll go from a "wait for reviews" to "must buy".

Try AFAoS, there's certainly enough copies floating around out there. Try the Hammer on someone who has played it before and report on back. If the mere threat of that is all that's keeping you from being interested in an game that probably fixes the majority of problems AFAoS had, you owe it to yourself to try the strat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.