Subject: Which Crayon Rails game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to get into the Crayon Rails games, but where should I start? Geography isn't a problem, as I don't have an aversion to any one country over another.

It must play well with 2 players, though, so which is the best map for 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have great success with all of these with 2:

+ Eurorails
+ Empire Builder
+ British Rails
+ Russian Rails

Each is unique in its own way besides the geography. Love them all and they get evil if more than 2 play.

A friend and I developed a 2 player variant where we use the fast trains and play through all the cards. The first player to empty his/her hand and be unable to draw a card to replace ends the game. It takes a while, but is quite tense!

I suspect the others are very similar and eventually hope to own them all to find out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
India Rails is compact and plays quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Empire Builder, Eurorails, British Rails, and Iron Dragon. I love these games, but they can be the epitome of multi-player solitaire. This can be worse with two players, since there are plenty of ways to avoid each other.

British Rails is by far the best of these with two players, because the tighter geography keeps the two players closer together. In fact, it's one of my favorite two player games. My younger son and I play British Rails several times per year, most recently last week, when he destroyed me, 260-110.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Nippon Rails with its' narrow and tight geography do well for 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fluffyevil wrote:
Would Nippon Rails with its' narrow and tight geography do well for 2 players?

Yes.

Also when you play with 2 players, always change small cities to a maximum of one player connecting to the city and medium cities are allowed to have both players connecting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For casual gamers, or people who aren't fond of really long games, I recommend Empire Express. It's a great way to dip your toes in the water, and finishes quickly (60-90 minutes even for your first game).

If you really want to dive into the full experience, pretty much any of the other titles will work. You can choose based on wanting more familiar geography (faster, easier) or less familiar (educational, challenging). Or you can choose a map that has more choke points so become more confrontational, or one that is more wide open.

Allow about 90 minutes per player for your first game, and 60 per player for at least a while after that. Personally, Empire Express is the only title in the series that I'll play with more than 2p. The others just take too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only Mayfair crayon rails game I've played is China Rails. Its a fine game, but it will take a while to get used to the geography -- which is fine for me as a person of chinese descent and I want to learn a little more about where my folks came from.

The PnP Italian Rails is fun and worth the effort of putting together if you're inclined to come in more cheaply. But I think it only plays 2P ? Though I think it would work 3P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Eder
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1

A lot of the city names "sound" very similar, so it takes a few games to learn the map. But the map is only 4 interlocking pieces and several areas have a "best" route which makes the tension pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input. I went for British Rails since I have an affinity for the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.