Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Sekela
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing the Hospital scenario now. You place your matching color survivor markers during the Feed & Fortify phase, and your objective is to protect them from harm. However, it seems to me like they should rarely be in any danger. You set up the hospital in its entirety devoid of any Zombies (unless I'm missing something). During the game you add Zombies as normal during Phases 1 & 2. But since the Zombies move towards the MRI tile (which functions as the bunker), and since you can put your Survivor markers anywhere in the hospital (meaning as far away from the MRI tile as possible), how will Zombies ever even come close to the Survivor markers??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Chartrand
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes I didn't understand that as well..

I would play it zombies go for the survivor tokens or the MRI room, these surivors are in extreme agony and can't move, to keep screaming their lung out.... otherwise you could just wall up your token (so zombies wouldn't have LOS to it.. and play as a normal game.

I sadly starting to feel that Zmergency (and Zpoc) was not playtested enough. Like in get to the chopper scenario the whole thing with blending in the helipad with the rest, the zombie rush at the end that basically can be fought one at a time in the stairs. Even if you stay in the helipad they would slowly comes through the stair in group of 2 at most, if you managed to fight them off while exploring they should be a piece of cake.
Lot of these things seems to not have been fleshed out enough.

For instance the "temporary fortifications" and fortification being exactly the same thing, one you build during an after-noon,the other in a few seconds.. (how do you build a door in 5 sec..) They should be less solid, get removed after a zombie hit them (obstacle), unless of course they are only to be used in a quickplay mode, but why having them when we could use the original tokens instead??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I am late to the party, but I have only just received my copy of Zmergency!

I also wondered about this and it would be great to have an official FAQ answer on this.

I think that I am going to play it so that the Zombies always go towards a survivor token in preference to anything else (i,e token, then squad, then bunker) as otherwise this scenario is possibly too easy to beat.

I like this game, but I think there are too many clarifications and examples missing from the manual. My first few plays have been rather painful as it requires constant trips to BGG and back to clarify rules. Of course once I have played each scenario I will be in a better position.

I would like to take it to my board game group but I need to solve all the 'gotchas' first!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianJohnHunt wrote:
I think that I am going to play it so that the Zombies always go towards a survivor token in preference to anything else (i,e token, then squad, then bunker) as otherwise this scenario is possibly too easy to beat.

Just tried to play it like this and it makes no sense really - thematically at least.

I then played it as 'Squads, then token, ignore bunker' which did work better in that the squads tended to lure away the Zombies, but if they held back, the Zombies then headed for the nearest survivor.

I wonder if their is mileage in saying that the survivors must be placed within a certain number of spaces of the bunker entrance? Even so, the Zombies are likely to appear on the 'other' side of the entrance anyway.

I am beginning to think that this scenario doesn't really work at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianJohnHunt wrote:
BrianJohnHunt wrote:

Just tried to play it like this and it makes no sense really - thematically at least.

I then played it as 'Squads, then token, ignore bunker' which did work better in that the squads tended to lure away the Zombies, but if they held back, the Zombies then headed for the nearest survivor.

I wonder if their is mileage in saying that the survivors must be placed within a certain number of spaces of the bunker entrance? Even so, the Zombies are likely to appear on the 'other' side of the entrance anyway.

To be quit honest, this scenario was hastily added to the product.

On reading the card I can see how it creates a bit of confusion for how things go. I'd like to say that the colored survivor tokens should be placed in the MRI room, however then it doesn't really add much variation from a normal game.

My gut however says, it should playout with the zmergency encounter cards first. What I mean by this, is you still layout the hospital tiles in whatever configuration you want, but you also randomly layout the encounter cards on top of the tiles(excluding the MRI tile).

When you move to a tile with an encounter card on it, flip it and resolve the encounter. If the zombies it spawns get to the MRI room and munch your colored survivors, game over.

Anyway, how this would all play out, is it would be, you start off with the Zmergency style quickplay rules, play through until all the hospital tiles have been resolved, and then, resume as if your in a normal zpocalypse game, starting with phase 1, 2(move your survivor to a more defensible location), 3(add tiles), 4 fight zombies. Next day, start at phase 1, last until the end, and if your colored survivor tokens survives, you win!

Note on the colored survivors vs. Zombie munchable desirability.

Zombie LOS/decision making.
1. If no living targets are within 4 squares of a zombie, it will move towards it's central tile(bunker, or MRI tile), your place of rest attracts zombies even if you're not currently there (it's zombie 6th sense thing).

2. If multiple living targets are within 4 squares of the zombie(Default awareness range), it will go towards the closest one and attack it. If more then 1 target are equidistant, then the zombie will go towards the player(Squad) with the highest VP.

3. Zombies will attack robust living squads before attacking defenseless survivors if given the choice(Same distance away), as they are more active and lively. However, if a Survivor token is closer(1 square or more) then the squad, the zombie will go towards the token first.

4. The colored survivor tokens, donnot require LOS for the zombie to come towards them, as they are periodically crying out in pain, and naturally attract zombies to them if within the zombies normal LOS(aka, walls and fortifications do not deter the zombie, like a more silent squad would if hiding behind a wall).

5. While the rules do not state that the colored survivors get any defense when attacked by a zombie, we've established in the Aftermath Alpha/Beta Packs that they should get at least 1 defensive roll to hold back 1 zombie, to prevent being munched(double zombies = auto death for survivor tokens).

Anyway, I hope this helps. If anyone comes out with better suggestions, I'll add them to our Zmergency errata page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your feedback Zee.

Once all the bits and bobs from Aftermath have arrived I will give this a go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sekela
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Zee! Looking forward to trying this out given your suggestions/clarifications. Will provide feedback once I give it a go.

I really like the scenario aspect of this game, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sekelaa wrote:
Thanks Zee! Looking forward to trying this out given your suggestions/clarifications. Will provide feedback once I give it a go.

I really like the scenario aspect of this game, by the way.

Please report back with any and all feedback, any discoveries on better methods of playing scenarios I am always open to listening to, and if better posting official updates on the site so others can also enjoy the scenario.

If it's a good enough NEW scenario concept, I can always mock up a printable scenario card, with credit to the author.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zeeparkes wrote:
BrianJohnHunt wrote:
BrianJohnHunt wrote:

To be quit honest, this scenario was hastily added to the product.

On reading the card I can see how it creates a bit of confusion for how things go. I'd like to say that the colored survivor tokens should be placed in the MRI room, however then it doesn't really add much variation from a normal game.

My gut however says, it should playout with the zmergency encounter cards first. What I mean by this, is you still layout the hospital tiles in whatever configuration you want, but you also randomly layout the encounter cards on top of the tiles(excluding the MRI tile).

When you move to a tile with an encounter card on it, flip it and resolve the encounter. If the zombies it spawns get to the MRI room and munch your colored survivors, game over.

Anyway, how this would all play out, is it would be, you start off with the Zmergency style quickplay rules, play through until all the hospital tiles have been resolved, and then, resume as if your in a normal zpocalypse game, starting with phase 1, 2(move your survivor to a more defensible location), 3(add tiles), 4 fight zombies. Next day, start at phase 1, last until the end, and if your colored survivor tokens survives, you win!

Note on the colored survivors vs. Zombie munchable desirability.

Zombie LOS/decision making.
1. If no living targets are within 4 squares of a zombie, it will move towards it's central tile(bunker, or MRI tile), your place of rest attracts zombies even if you're not currently there (it's zombie 6th sense thing).

2. If multiple living targets are within 4 squares of the zombie(Default awareness range), it will go towards the closest one and attack it. If more then 1 target are equidistant, then the zombie will go towards the player(Squad) with the highest VP.

3. Zombies will attack robust living squads before attacking defenseless survivors if given the choice(Same distance away), as they are more active and lively. However, if a Survivor token is closer(1 square or more) then the squad, the zombie will go towards the token first.

4. The colored survivor tokens, donnot require LOS for the zombie to come towards them, as they are periodically crying out in pain, and naturally attract zombies to them if within the zombies normal LOS(aka, walls and fortifications do not deter the zombie, like a more silent squad would if hiding behind a wall).

5. While the rules do not state that the colored survivors get any defense when attacked by a zombie, we've established in the Aftermath Alpha/Beta Packs that they should get at least 1 defensive roll to hold back 1 zombie, to prevent being munched(double zombies = auto death for survivor tokens).

Anyway, I hope this helps. If anyone comes out with better suggestions, I'll add them to our Zmergency errata page.

Which conflicts with this https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22924063#22924063
zeeparkes wrote:
sekelaa wrote:
I am still confused about the answer for question #2. I am curious about that myself. So you place the 12 tiles initially, plus more as per the normal Zpocalypse rules?

Place all 12 zmergency tiles hospital face up, any shape you want.

then proceed as a normal zpocalypse game, adding the core tiles as per a normal game.

Since the hospital has no bunker, use the helicopter tile as your bunker, since it can only be accessed form the stairwell.

Themewise I would go with you have to survive two days in the hospital and be at the heli pad by the end of the 2nd day. All survivors must survive either as tokens or survivors. On the wall of the MRI room is a map of the hospital , explore for survivors using the encounter rules and after all explored start day
Each day you may designate a new room as a Bunker , any unfed survivors are placed in Bunker. Use bunker tokens.

Or

Option 2 play as you describe but no encounters just survive 2 days and keep survive tokens alive.

If you can feed them then they can join you.Each day you may designate a new room as a Bunker , any unfed survivors are placed in Bunker. Use bunker tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.