BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Cosmic Encounter vs Galaxy Trucker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
O C
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking to pick up one of these two games.

Which plays better in larger groups? Not looking for a game that suits 3 or less players.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CE can go up to 8 people with the expansions, GT only does 5 - guess that settles it.

Oh, yeah, another thing: get both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are great, but Cosmic Encounter is better the more people you have playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and enjoy both games. Without hesitation, Cosmic Encounter. It supports higher player counts out of the box, and with expansions I believe you can acquire enough components for 7 players.

Additionally, the game lends itself to wheeling and dealing, alliance and treacherous backstabbing, as well as shared victories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1
Cosmic Encounter.
If you buy all the expansions, it will support 8 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game of Galaxy Trucker only plays up to 4 players. Two of the expansions can take it to 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The pen is mightier than a really small, blunt, and foam covered sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on who you play it with. I got them both for Christmas. Galaxy Trucker is a smash hit with wife and play group, plays awesome with 2-4, and with expansion can play to 5 without a hiccup.
Cosmic Encounter has yet to hit the table in that same time period. It's 0-20 vs Galaxy Trucker, after going through the rules and showing the components my wife and her friends won't touch it with a 10ft pole, and my game group would rather play GT if they want silly chaos or Spartacus, Twilight Imperium, or Game of Thrones if they want treachery. So sadly, my copy (with first expansion) is gathering dust.
As a side note, three members of my group have since gone out and picked up Galaxy Trucker to play with their families, and I received the stink eye when I suggested CE (I'm on the verge of offering a cash reward to the winner of CE to get my group to play it).

That said, I still think they are both fantastic, just you might find it hard to get CE to the table depending on who you play with, it is beyond nasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter is really a negotiation game. If you like negotiating, it's a great choice. Some people don't like negotiation games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
Cosmic Encounter is really a negotiation game.

It can be, but it does not need to be (edit: all about negotiations). At least we try to avoid making deals (negotiate) as much as we can. It all depends on who you play with, which expansions you have, and which aliens are in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
bwingrave wrote:
Cosmic Encounter is really a negotiation game.

It can be, but it does not need to be. At least we try to avoid making deals (negotiate) as much as we can. It all depends on who you play with, which expansions you have, and which aliens are in the game.

Ummmm....what? If you don't negotiate, the only thing you're left with is randomly chosen confrontations and lopsided card play. Without negotiating, the game essentially becomes a complicated game of Life. I guess if that's your thing, go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are completely different games.

Galaxy Trucker is pure awesome. If there was a word that was 10 times better than awesome, GT would be it.

They do have a lot of player interaction - but in completely different ways.

I would definitely go with GT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
Ummmm....what? If you don't negotiate, the only thing you're left with is randomly chosen confrontations and lopsided card play. Without negotiating, the game essentially becomes a complicated game of Life. I guess if that's your thing, go for it.

You told CE is "really a negotiation game", I tried to say it does not need to be just negotiations, and you decide what the game is like.

You do whatever you can in a specific situation. You draw an encounter, decide if you can allow allies, play cards, play more cards, use powers, someone else plays cards, and the game is a living thing. I'm not sure what you refer to with game of life. If you mean the game is preprogrammed, you give very little credit to the player's interactions that happen all the time, even without negotiating.

Sure, negotiations happen, but .. winning by negotiation feels so .. dirty to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.