Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the first part
http://blog.ninlabs.com/2013/01/programmer-interrupted/

(and well better pay and just writeing code, no support is big parts of it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed working with a team in Australia last year. They had a 17 hours differential, so I was able to work all day without interruptions, and at the end of the day, collect my thoughts, issues and defects.

The downside was on a collaborative project, any issues or problems took a full work day to address, and if I were blocked I would continue to be blocked until the next day.

That is one issue this article didn't quite take into account is that most programmers don't work on projects in a vacuum. There are usually several programmers touching the same code throughout the day. So distractions are mandatory.

If you are a lone programmer, then this might be a useful study.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
They kind of say interrupts might be usefull before the memorie technics (and yeah I been the line coder most of the time)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way to deal with interruptions is not to find ways to deal with them, but to eliminate them. All software development "methodologies" are bureaucratic BS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
Well the first part
http://blog.ninlabs.com/2013/01/programmer-interrupted/

(and well better pay and just writeing code, no support is big parts of it)

As a Project Manager for programmers (6 of them) I'd say it's part of my job "protecting" them from interruptions. I'm not saying everything should go through me, but don't disturb unless necessary and that goes for me as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Every few months I still see programmers who are asked to not use headphones during work hours
I was once told that this was not allowed so we would "pick up important information on the other projects being discussed around us". In the 6 years I've worked here I can count the instances where any of us needed to help out on another teams project on one hand. Yep. All that information has been sooooo useful to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.