Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R K
Canada
Amherst
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if anyone involved with the design or playtesting of this game can shed a bit of light on how it actually plays.

I've always been interested in WiF, but right now space constrains and a lack of opponents make it unlikely that I'll ever get a full game in. I'm wondering what the mechanics are like for this one and how they compare to the full WiF (politics, production, breadth of options vs. fixed narrative). I'm also having a hard time envisioning the playtimes listed for such a small board and counter mix. Does the Barbarossa scenario actually take 180 minutes? It looks like most of the action would only involve an area of about 40 hexes.

Thanks for any insight, looking forward to this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Ryan,

Firstly thanks for your note and for your interest in WiF Blitz. To answer your questions:

>I'm wondering if anyone involved with the design or playtesting of
>this game can shed a bit of light on how it actually plays.
>I've always been interested in WiF, but right now space constrains
>and a lack of opponents make it unlikely that I'll ever get a full
>game in.

Time and space are the reasons I started designing WiF Blitz. The game works on one WiFFe-sized map, with about 500 fighting units. My principle design goals have been (a) to make sure you can play the whole game in 15 hours, (b) emphasize all of the fun and challenging decision-making of WiFFe, while de-emphasizing the administration and bookkeeping, and (c) keep all players involved for the maximum amount of enjoyment.

>I'm wondering what the mechanics are like for this one and how they >compare to the full WiF (politics, production, breadth of options vs. >fixed narrative).

You have the full set of strategic options as found in WiFFE, without exception. And there are no major "gimmicks" available: if you want to try SeaLion as Germany, you'd better build your air and naval assets, and be prepared to lose a lot of them too. Japan can try to go all-out and conquer the Chinese; they might succeed, they might fail, but there will be ramifications elsewhere no matter what. If the Allies go against Europe first, they'd better bring their tanks and stop building so many aircraft carriers (or at least delay them a bit). And so forth.

WiF Blitz is a real wargame, but one which plays fairly quickly, at least by serious wargame standards. I think of it as the stepping stone between Axis and Allies (great game, great fun for 3 or 4 hours, but gives almost no consideration to what makes the actual fighting forces of each combatant different) and the full World in Flames game (which, with its 4000 units, is the best and most detailed World War 2 game ever, and only takes 100 or more hours to play!)

>I'm also having a hard time envisioning the playtimes listed
>for such a small board and counter mix. Does the Barbarossa
>scenario actually take 180 minutes? It looks like most of the
>action would only involve an area of about 40 hexes.

Actual time spent thinking will vary a lot fro player to player, of course. I'd say two experienced WiF Blitz players who go right at it could play Barbarossa in about 3 hours, but you could spend more time, too.

Looking forward to getting the game published so you can see for yourself!

Cheers,
Dave LeLacheur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R K
Canada
Amherst
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! It's on my list of games to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aranar aranar
Italy
Ferrara
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually, I'm trying to convert a big group of players from boardgames (the most difficult game they've played is Civilization) to war-games.
Is the Blitz! version easier than the 'normal' WiF?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
aranar wrote:
Actually, I'm trying to convert a big group of players from boardgames (the most difficult game they've played is Civilization) to war-games.
Is the Blitz! version easier than the 'normal' WiF?

Yes. Smaller map, fewer units, and fewer/simpler rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aranar aranar
Italy
Ferrara
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
and fewer/simpler rules.

this is what I need
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.