Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
If my only legal play is to jump forward, and my four cards are (2 x move left) and (2 x move right), am I allowed to discard cards as my turn? If so, would taking a fatigue card be necessary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
framebrain wrote:
If my only legal play is to jump forward, and my four cards are (2 x move left) and (2 x move right), am I allowed to discard cards as my turn? If so, would taking a fatigue card be necessary?

You would play cards. That can't move you, so they would have no effect except to discard. If you only play 2 of them, you won't have any fatigue but you can draw back up to 4 either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
framebrain wrote:

You would play cards. That can't move you, so they would have no effect except to discard. If you only play 2 of them, you won't have any fatigue but you can draw back up to 4 either way.

Otherwise you can play 3 of them and take a fatigue card...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
Brings up another question. Say I play cards that make me go over 2 waterfall spaces at the same time (double right and right for example) - does that cost anything extra movement wise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
framebrain wrote:

I should have done that last night Brian when I was stuck to that one side. I thought I could only play one card that wouldn't move me but would be discarded for a draw. But discarding 2 or even 3 (getting a fatigue) could have helped get me some darn move right cards I needed so bad. Next time I'll know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sanders wrote:
Brings up another question. Say I play cards that make me go over 2 waterfall spaces at the same time (double right and right for example) - does that cost anything extra movement wise?

My understanding is you cannot go over two water fall spaces at the same time. The 2-card move has to clear you back into a normal water hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hahma wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
framebrain wrote:

I should have done that last night Brian when I was stuck to that one side. I thought I could only play one card that wouldn't move me but would be discarded for a draw. But discarding 2 or even 3 (getting a fatigue) could have helped get me some darn move right cards I needed so bad. Next time I'll know.

You play cards 1 at a time, up to 3 times. So you can empty your hand and just keep running into the bank in order to draw new cards.

I thought what killed your progress was when you got that double rapids played against you when you had 2 arrows going out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Hahma wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
framebrain wrote:

You play cards 1 at a time, up to 3 times. So you can empty your hand and just keep running into the bank in order to draw new cards.

I thought what killed your progress was when you got that double rapids played against you when you had 2 arrows going out.

Yeah, that didn't help either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
My understanding is you cannot go over two water fall spaces at the same time. The 2-card move has to clear you back into a normal water hex.

Is there a ruling on this? The rules don't explicitly say you can only jump over one Waterfall hex at one time, but who knows, there has been a little confusion as to valid jumping rules (using 2 double swims, only jump from a space directly adjacent to a waterfall or not)

Looking at board 2E, if I was in the hex between the Double Swim and the Eagle I would think that playing a Double Right and Right would be legit and move me directly above the Wild hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
farsidehobbes wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Is there a ruling on this? The rules don't explicitly say you can only jump over one Waterfall hex at one time, but who knows, there has been a little confusion as to valid jumping rules (using 2 double swims, only jump from a space directly adjacent to a waterfall or not)

Looking at board 2E, if I was in the hex between the Double Swim and the Eagle I would think that playing a Double Right and Right would be legit and move me directly above the Wild hex.

No ruling yet. This game is in desperate need of an FAQ. It's a shame since they weren't rushed on production while they waited for the cargo box to fill up.

As written in the published rules, it just states that you need two Basic cards to jump over the waterfall. So the implication is that you need to start in a downstream hex adjacent to the water fall and end in an upstream hex adjacent to the water fall.

Playing a Double Swim doesn't state if you get the extra hex (though this has been clarified that you do) and two double swims were prohibited (but this has since been reversed). It still makes sense to me that you can't start your jump unless adjacent to the water fall so that the extra hexes moved (based on the combo of cards) carries yo past the waterfall. If that takes you over a second waterfall in the process, good for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I heartily agree on the need for a FAQ.

I also agree that jumping from directly adjacent to a waterfall makes the most sense.

I'm wondering if they were trying to keep costs down by using a single sheet of paper for the rules, thereby making space a premium, as opposed to using multiple sheets stapled together like most rule books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
farsidehobbes wrote:
I heartily agree on the need for a FAQ.

I also agree that jumping from directly adjacent to a waterfall makes the most sense.

I'm wondering if they were trying to keep costs down by using a single sheet of paper for the rules, thereby making space a premium, as opposed to using multiple sheets stapled together like most rule books.

I don't think it was lack of space. they could have easily cut down the wasted space on the Hex summary if that was the intent.

The biggest problem in rules editing is that those closest to the game take certain things for granted and when reviewing don't see any gaps. A blind playtesting is needed to flush out these most basic of questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Sanders wrote:

Got comfirmation you can - as long as you land in a normal water hex. So if you play a double right and right card - and it moves you over 2 waterfall hexes as long as the 3rd space is normal its ok. Of course no jump over any rock spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sanders wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Sanders wrote:

Got comfirmation you can - as long as you land in a normal water hex. So if you play a double right and right card - and it moves you over 2 waterfall hexes as long as the 3rd space is normal its ok. Of course no jump over any rock spaces.

Does it give you only 1 fatigue or 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Sanders wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Sanders wrote:

I didn't ask. I assume its just one as it seems to count as a normal jump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sanders wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Sanders wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Sanders wrote:

I didn't ask. I assume its just one as it seems to count as a normal jump.

I would assume just 1 Fatigue as well since Fatigue is given out per jump, and not per waterfall hex, and you only did 1 jump that just happened to move you over multiple waterfall hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.