Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do you play your games when you are not playing at home? My local game shop isn't very inviting and so I generally play at coffee shops, but not all of them are welcoming to gamers. What kinds of places to you use for playing games and how do you manage the time and space that is required for games compared to simply eating or drinking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cubeconvict wrote:
Where do you play your games when you are not playing at home?

I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Various game shops or other people's houses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At church or at a friend's house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cafeteria of a local large company where some gamers work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I regularly attend a game night at a FLGS and another at a friend's house. I also have a Go club that meets at a coffeehouse. Occasionally I'll play at other groups which might be at someone else's home, a different FLGS or a small community center.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A building on campus that is open 24 hours a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris phillips
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
At my house mostly but occasionally at in laws and this summer while camping. I havent been to a gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Walters

Peninsula
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coffee shops, we go to ones which are not that busy, so we are not taking up table space and are sure to order coffee and a pastry (how we suffer for our hobby.)

We have a couple local game groups which go to Panera's and reserve their VIP rooms for that.

Or else our FLGS is really great, our game club has two big meetings there a month and they run events as well...

We have even been known to play some games (Gloom, Resistance...) at bars during happy hour. The key being going when they do not otherwise need tables, and in these situations also be sure to tip well so you are always welcomed back....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Cermak
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Super Target near me has a huge eating section with big tables that is ALWAYS empty. Target is open until 11:00 PM and as long as we buy from their in-store Starbucks, the manager doesn't care that we game there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Hall
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuesdays at the office of a member that holds ~20 people, Saturdays now at the new (and only) FLGS or a math building lobby of the local college. I don't prefer gaming in public, but those are pretty nice places for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been to a lot of organised meetings in various English cities in pubs. Our Liverpool group met for 6 years in my local until we moved last week to somewhere that could accommodate our current size. There's a lot of very quiet pubs on Sundays and Mondays (beware sports pubs though) where they will reserve tables for you which is essential if it's a general meeting rather than friends playing a game (6 other customers spread about a bit can fill a lot of tables). There's also a lot of pubs with private rooms that charge little or nothing if you avoid Friday and Saturday. Pubs also generally stay open later than cafes. Only common problem is whether the tables are suitable - I've seen small round tables, uneven height collections and even bolted down tables. Cafe tables are almost always large enough for most games, and are usually rectangular so can be merged if needed (and allowed).

I also occasionally play in a cafe as Liverpool has one dedicated to games, virtually all Magic but they like us for variety and host our all-day events twice a year (about 90 players last time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pubs are an excellent venue to play games for all the reasons Paul mentions above, plus the one that he forgot to mention, which is that they sell beer.

Only downside is if you have children in your play group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sant
United States
Easton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my game club meets at member's houses. the local games store's "board game nights" meet on bad days/times for me to attend and not nearly frequent enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play at home, or various friend's homes, and monthly at a local community center where 30 or 40 folks meet to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ross
Scotland
Motherwell
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play at friend's houses and our local library, our gaming club meets in the local Masonic Hall, a pub and a Miner's Welfare Hall
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Haeberling
Switzerland
CH-8570 Weinfelden
TG
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually at home but also on my canal cruising boat in France.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Demento
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Online. Between work, working on the house/garden and our two year old we don't get out much these days. So the only gaming that happens these days is either portable or at my house, before that was at the FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art DeFilippo
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Local game store or at the home of one of our group members.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B.
United States
Groton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game stores are usually the best with the least restrictions. Homes, coffee shops, bars (at slow times), and the library are all decent. There usually is some sort of restriction you may have though. It might be volume, foul language, no food or drink/must buy food or drink or just small spaces. I've even played in mall food courts, but then you get interrupted a lot with curious passers-by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The guy who started our game group made some arrangement with a local Catholic school to let us use their gymnasium the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month. TONS of space and TONS of tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in Malaysia, apart from FLGS and boardgame cafes, the trend seems to be at cafes and fast food chain restaurants. The main reason is because they open 24 hours a day.

I myself co-organize a meet up at a fast food joint. There are a couple of long tables (sort of like a picnic table) at our place, which can fit 8-10 people at one time (4 each side). My meet up starts late (1030pm or so) so families who come to eat can use the table first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FLGS. The gals there ARE my regular game group!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulinTheLion wrote:
I've been to a lot of organised meetings in various English cities in pubs. Our Liverpool group met for 6 years in my local until we moved last week to somewhere that could accommodate our current size. There's a lot of very quiet pubs on Sundays and Mondays (beware sports pubs though) where they will reserve tables for you which is essential if it's a general meeting rather than friends playing a game (6 other customers spread about a bit can fill a lot of tables). There's also a lot of pubs with private rooms that charge little or nothing if you avoid Friday and Saturday. Pubs also generally stay open later than cafes. Only common problem is whether the tables are suitable - I've seen small round tables, uneven height collections and even bolted down tables. Cafe tables are almost always large enough for most games, and are usually rectangular so can be merged if needed (and allowed).

I also occasionally play in a cafe as Liverpool has one dedicated to games, virtually all Magic but they like us for variety and host our all-day events twice a year (about 90 players last time).

You'd never be able to play in the bars around here unless you wrapped all of your games in plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our weekly group usually meets at my house. The FLGS has a weekly meet during the week and that just doesn't work for me (some of them also meet on Friday nights, but see my next point). Plus we can game while enjoying good beer and scotch - cant do that at the FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.