Steven Cunliffe
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Campaign Cards

So this week I continued plugging away at the game. I had forgotten how much work it takes to produce the graphics for 220 cards, 12 maps, 1 play sheet and over 200 counters! This week saw me reworking the campaign cards to get the graphics and look ready for print.

The 40 campaign cards are broken down into four sets of 10 cards. Each set of cards covers one of the four major campaigns of the Normandy Theater.

Set 1: The Fall of Cherbourg Set 2: The Advance to St. Lo Set 3: The Battle for Caen Set 4: The Cobra Breakout

The cards are constructed in five intensity levels. Campaigns start "easy" with level one intensity starter battles and build in intensity until the climatic battle at the end of every campaign. The cards are split and meant to be placed between players so that they can be ready during the game. The Allied Player for instance will look at the American side (green) and the German player the Axis side (blue grey).

The card tells what battle is being fought (center isle), divisions where involved in the fighting, how large the player's hand size is for the battle, how many Command points he receives every turn, which map to use and which side was the historical attacker.

During the campaign each side will be steadily pouring in more troops and supplies into each theater as represented by the increasing number of cards and command points allowed to each side as the intensity level increases.

Players can play the full historical campaigns, fight smaller campaigns using only four cards from each set, or use the cards randomly to fight one off battles. The cards will make it possible for many types of games to be played.

The Campaign Cards also list special units only available to that division. For instance US infantry divisions have access to specialized engineer units while Panzer Lehr and the 2nd SS can purchase halftrack and Panther Companies!

I also did quite a bit of research to make sure every division is fighting its historical opponent. These are the most complex but rewarding cards I have ever made, and there are still another 30 to make! I can't wait to get started. Let me know what you think.

I am also going to work on a few "special campaign cards covering the Caumont battles that will be used for three player, five player, and seven player games! In addition to the 2, 4, 6, and eight player games!

A link to the card pics is here

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?7@@.1dd83967/37
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Miner
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just viewed the cards ,,, Wow this is gonna be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are very well designed, allowing the players to immediately know what the function is of a particular card, but I really don't like the design.

I love looking at old photographs. I sink right into the time and place of most pictures. I didn't feel that way with these cards. The dramatic black-and-white photos were washed away with the bright colors and bold un-WWII graphics of the card themselves.

Is there a way to possibly mute the information on the card and enhance the picture itself? I know color photographs were more rare during the war, but the ones I have seem are extremely cool. The colors have that dated tint to them that is dramatic in and of itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.