Popular Tags: [View All]
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RUIN is a card based battle game that pits 2 hackers against one another. Each hacker is trying to hack into the opponent's system by defeating the opponent's encryption system in an effort to alter the control of the enemy system, before escaping unharmed. It is a race to ruin your opponent before they ruin you.

RUIN uses 108 cards (2 standard poker decks, including Jokers: 54 cards, preferably with different backs) and 16 tokens.

RUIN is broken up into 3 sections for each player.

1. The court cards (Jacks=8, Queens=9, and Kings=10) and Aces=Wild (8, 9, or 10) make up the encryption keys. Each player will organize these cards face down on their respective side in whatever order they want. It is important that they either memorize the location of each card, or have some type of system in place for knowing which card is where.

During the course of a game players will take turns selecting 2 cards, one from their side and then one from his/her opponent's side. When players find a matching pair, they will place a token on the "matching" card on their side, denoting that are the ones that found the pair. The tokens will be "used" along with decoder cards to decipher data cards.

2. The encrypted data (made up of 8's, 9's, and 10's). These cards are separated and make up 3 stacks (stack of 8's, 9's, and 10's). They represent the core focus of the conflict. The winner is the one who can uncover the identity of the bottom most card in each stack.

3. The decoder cards (2's, 3's, 4's, 5's, 6's, 7's, and Jokers). These cards are used along with the encryption keys to decipher the encrypted data. Players draw these cards when they find a match of encryption keys, or when their turn ends. When the players find a combination of these cards that total one of the stacks they can decipher the corresponding stack provided that they have the proper key as well.

Some Examples: A player found matching Jacks and they have a hand with 2, 3, 4, and 5. The player can then decipher a card from the 8 stack using any combination of these cards to come up with 8. They can add the 3 and 5 together. They can multiply 2 and 4 together to get 8 or do 2^3 and get 8. They could even do (4-2)^3 to get 8 even though it would be a waste of a card. Point is they can do whatever they like as long as the math works out with cards available.

In addition to allowing players to unlock encrypted data, the decoder cards will also provide access to other functions as well. Each of these cards will have "abilities" written on it.

Some Examples:
- 2's will enable a player to look at an encrypted key on their side. - 3's will enable a player to mix up the location of 2 encryption keys on target player's side. Face up, face down, doesn't matter.

I am play testing the game with the different decoder abilities at the moment. Once I feel that I am comfortable with the results of the play testing, I will provide a copy for others to print and play with.

If anyone has read this far, I'm curious as to how you feel about what you've read so far, if you feel anything at all.

I've never been much for having to memorize in a game, but I feel that this game isn't so much about memorization as it is about creating a system for being able to locate 16 cards and being able to decipher the opponent's system for hiding their encryption keys.

If things turn out very well and I have an over abundance of decoder abilities that I'd like to include in the game, I will look into making the game asymmetrical. That is a bit down the road at the moment though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know of any game that utilizes a privacy screen so that you can set things up in private?

I'm looking for something a bit more temporary. Something you take up and take down. Not anything like Battleship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ares Project?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.