United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
I love CCGs/LCGs/Dice Games
badge
Everyday I'm Shufflin
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got enough maps to make the completionist in me happy, but the price from Fedex Office is a tad painful...so I thought I'd ask my fellow dungeon-eers if they know of any cheaper or even homemade alternatives?

Each map is a 20x30 poster. I currently have Map 1 laminated from years ago, but I need Map 2, 3, both heroic quest maps, pyramid starter map and MAYBE even a half dozen Mighty Maps laminated.

My current quote is $15/map, hoping I can do something for less than $150 for all of them ;_; but worst case I plan to pony up the dungeon specific maps for that price...

Also does fedex office ever have sales or coupons? It'd be my first time going their since they were just "Kinkos" eons ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of laminating them, you might see if you could find a cheap poster frame with a plexiglass/plastic cover in that size. You could probably store several of the maps stacked together inside it, and when you're ready to play just put the one you want on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Bear
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Everyday I'm Shufflin
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely a good idea in the interim if I can't ever find a cheaper option
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I cut each map into 4 pieces and put a small sticker on each corner so I could match them up easily. Then laminated each on 11"x17" plastic. I own a laminator so could do it myself. But might be cheaper to cut them into 4 parts. Easier to store also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Bear
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Everyday I'm Shufflin
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
I cut each map into 4 pieces and put a small sticker on each corner so I could match them up easily. Then laminated each on 11"x17" plastic. I own a laminator so could do it myself. But might be cheaper to cut them into 4 parts. Easier to store also.

I do have spares of the maps I need to laminate, at least in the case of pyramid / 3&4 / 5&6. I don't currently own my own laminator and the cost of one that size is about the same as laminating the maps...but lets me do other things in the future.

I'll have to find someone with one and try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yauchy wrote:
ScottE wrote:

I do have spares of the maps I need to laminate, at least in the case of pyramid / 3&4 / 5&6. I don't currently own my own laminator and the cost of one that size is about the same as laminating the maps...but lets me do other things in the future.

I'll have to find someone with one and try it out.

I've owned a laminator for years and love it. I've had two since my original broke. Both I've had laminated up to 11"x17" so they are expensive. I buy my plastic bulk online in packs of 100. It's much cheaper then buying at your local Staples.

I pretty much laminate everything. The only exception is stuff on shiny paper since that tends to bubble up.

One annoying thing about laminating plastic is it's all different. And the same company will change their plastic over time. Some works better then others. Some won't stay flat or you need different temperature settings. When you get a new pack of plastic be sure to test it before doing anything to gauge the right temperature setting. Too high and it will ripple, too low and it won't seal correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Scott had a superhero name, it would be "The Laminator".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.