United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Such as the Catholic Church, the Porfirian Army, or Teddy Roosevelt?

Thematically, it doesn't seem as if you should be able to. But I don't see anything preventing that sort of dissolute behavior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you could, since they are partners when played. It would be expensive tho: cost to play an assassination card is the cost of the targeted partner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Eklund
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Answer - yes, any partner can be assassinated. As Mark mentions above, assassinating a public card would be extremely cost-prohibitive.

Historically - I would equate these to purges of the military or Church leadership... a common occurrence during the revolutionary period. Diaz was well aware of the threat of coup, and often rotated his generals through assignments to prevent them from gaining too much local support (ie. command points). While Diaz was often at odds with the Church, he never really cracked down on them the way his predecessor Benito Juarez did... however the 1917 revolutionary constitution effectively banned the catholic church in Mexico and resulted in the Cristero War.

Oh and on October 14, 1912 Teddy Roosevelt was shot at close range by a .32 caliber revolver, just before giving his campaign speech in Milwaukee. He gave the hour long speech anyways, with the bullet still in his body... and was hospitalized thereafter. The bullet was never removed, and if you want to see something cool google "xray roosevelt".

So of the three: the Catholic Church, the Porfirian Army, and Teddy Roosevelt... Teddy would arguably be the toughest to kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
Matthew_Eklund wrote:
Game Answer - yes, any partner can be assassinated. As Mark mentions above, assassinating a public card would be extremely cost-prohibitive.

Historically - I would equate these to purges of the military or Church leadership... a common occurrence during the revolutionary period. Diaz was well aware of the threat of coup, and often rotated his generals through assignments to prevent them from gaining too much local support (ie. command points). While Diaz was often at odds with the Church, he never really cracked down on them the way his predecessor Benito Juarez did... however the 1917 revolutionary constitution effectively banned the catholic church in Mexico and resulted in the Cristero War.

Oh and on October 14, 1912 Teddy Roosevelt was shot at close range by a .32 caliber revolver, just before giving his campaign speech in Milwaukee. He gave the hour long speech anyways, with the bullet still in his body... and was hospitalized thereafter. The bullet was never removed, and if you want to see something cool google "xray roosevelt".

So of the three: the Catholic Church, the Porfirian Army, and Teddy Roosevelt... Teddy would arguably be the toughest to kill.

Yep. That ol' Bull Moose.

Thanks for the answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
however the 1917 revolutionary constitution effectively banned the catholic church in Mexico and resulted in the Cristero War.

Which is what the recent movie, "For Greater Glory," is based upon (I think...).

Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a long standing tradition of shooting US Presidents, so I don't know why you are wondering
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
Sancherib wrote:
There is a long standing tradition of shooting US Presidents, so I don't know why you are wondering

Not in my family! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Assassinate the Church . . . there ought be some big game consequences. Not like Teddy's big game, but you know what I mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
catmando wrote:
Assassinate the Church . . . there ought be some big game consequences.

Life in prison, hope for a Presidential pardon, find some way to avoid extradition to Turkey?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Radic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew_Eklund wrote:
.... He gave the hour long speech anyways, with the bullet still in his body...

That old-school....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.