Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

I'm new here, and fairly new to game design with only one game under my belt. (A not good one...).

Anyways, I've had an idea that I have high hopes for and I'm just interested in what everyone else thinks of the idea. The basis of the game would be a two part game, the main part being an Arkham Horror-esque cooperative game against the game, except instead of a dice rolling fest it would be a card game, using cards to battle, pass checks, etc, and attempting to build a deck strong enough to deal with the final boss.

On the other hand, as a secondary part of the game, it would function like a CCG, where players would be able to build decks (or, possible for balance sake, use the ones provided for each character) to battle one another and see who reigns supreme. It would support 1v1 and 2v2 at the least. \

The combat system would be the shining point of the game, including "combos," passive cards that are investments for later in the battle, and heals. The characters would all have slight gears towards a certain role, such as buffing, healing, or killing, but all would be more than able to, with the right deck build during the game, do any of the rolls.

I don't know if this is completely clear, but if you have any questions please ask! I'm mostly just looking for an answer as to whether or not this has been done before (or attempted and failed), and if you personally would be interested in a well done game like this.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be interesting if done well, almost sounds like an LCG version of Rune Age which is also a game system with multiple "scenarios" to apply the same core mechanics towards with the main difference being that here you tweak your deck outside of the game instead of building it during. The idea certainly has merit, but there are so many ways to do "build a deck then play cards to do things" that it would really depend on how interesting you made the actual system rather than the whole "co-op where you can later use your characters to fight each other" angle. That angle shouldn't be a detriment though and gameplay variety can be a strong selling point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Message wrote:
It could be interesting if done well, almost sounds like an LCG version of Rune Age which is also a game system with multiple "scenarios" to apply the same core mechanics towards with the main difference being that here you tweak your deck outside of the game instead of building it during. The idea certainly has merit, but there are so many ways to do "build a deck then play cards to do things" that it would really depend on how interesting you made the actual system rather than the whole "co-op where you can later use your characters to fight each other" angle. That angle shouldn't be a detriment though and gameplay variety can be a strong selling point.

Oh yes, the battle between the players was certainly the second focus! We thought of the idea for the co-op game and then realized that it might make a pretty good CCG-style game, so we thought we might implement it as well.

As far as the actual system is concerned, as I said it would be highly influenced by Arkham Horror, in that there would be a build up to the final battle/you can try to prevent the battle possibly. But it would be much more based upon the combat system than simple dice rolling and chance. The more "missions" you completed, the stronger your deck would become and the more you'd be able to do. I realize this may be a slippery slope in terms of falling behind and not being able to catch up, but we'll find some way around that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds a bit like Mythos, hopefully without the CCG part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Sounds a bit like Mythos, hopefully without the CCG part.

The difference would be where Mythos is completely a card game where you completely build your own adventure in your deck, this would be more like Arkham Horror in which your hero just starts with certain attributes (his deck) and then you have to get better and either (at this point I'm thinking) Kill all the mini bosses to "seal the gates" as Arkham would have it, or you just have to get enough equipment to destroy the final boss. Although, there's a kick starter for a game called Myth that is very similar to the combat system I was thinking of -_- They beat me to it. I'll probably develop mine some more and if it turns out too similar to theirs it'll just be a let down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Bear
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
I love CCGs/LCGs/Dice Games
badge
Everyday I'm Shufflin
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a good idea, but quite difficult to implement well.

Almost sounds to me like a more complex variant of the Resident Evil deck builder; however if you're going of the Arkham Horror theme, I think the fact elder sign exists as the lighter brother you'd have an uphill battle throwing on a deck building / deck construction element; There is also the Call of Cthulhu LCG which is fantastic on the 1v1 front.

Best of luck to you, seems like a huge amount of design ahead of you and to answer your question - if you can make a fluid co-op Cthulhu card game people will be interested. If kickstarter is any indication, nearly everything that even 'hints' at Cthulhu is successful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yauchy wrote:
I think it is a good idea, but quite difficult to implement well.

Almost sounds to me like a more complex variant of the Resident Evil deck builder; however if you're going of the Arkham Horror theme, I think the fact elder sign exists as the lighter brother you'd have an uphill battle throwing on a deck building / deck construction element; There is also the Call of Cthulhu LCG which is fantastic on the 1v1 front.

Best of luck to you, seems like a huge amount of design ahead of you and to answer your question - if you can make a fluid co-op Cthulhu card game people will be interested. If kickstarter is any indication, nearly everything that even 'hints' at Cthulhu is successful.

We aren't actually going with the Cthulhu theme, we're just building off of a few mechanics from Arkham Horror.

As an update, we've landed on a theme. Long story short, the heroes are college students who have made a time machine and ripped a hole in the continuum. Monsters (In the form of characters from Grimm tales) are spewing out of the hole and must be dealt with and the portal closed.

Your traditional "archer" hero will be a football quarterback who throws things, rather than being an archer. The knight is a nerd who built a mech suit. That kind of stuff.

The game will consist highly upon battles, both solo and as the group. The solo battles will be like the "encounters" in Arkham, kind of. Not really, but that's the best relation I can give. You have to get good enough equipment and possibly unlock your ultimate ability card before fighting the final boss, who will be a struggle for any team that's not prepared very, VERY well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.