Popular Tags: [View All]
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last summer at a convention, a representative of Mayfair that ran a qualifier for the World tournament told us of a rule change. He said that trading and building could now be done any time after rolling the dice so that ports could be used on the same turn they are built.

However I've not found this since then anyplace on the Mayfair site. www.mayfairgames.com

I've been playing this way since last summer, but it would be nice if manufacturers announced such changes on their site so that we didn't have to accidentally learn about them at a tournament we happen to attend.

He also said cards had to be traded, not given away. This is more of a clarification than errata, but it's so vague in the rules that it should be included on the site too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to get at least one card back in exchange though. Of course, you can do multiple trades to counter this, but it does impose certain limits, most obviously that you can't give cards to someone who doesn't have any.

On the trade all the time thing, are you allowed to trade with someone during somebody else's turn? And, in the 5-6 player game, can you trade during the 'build' phase between turns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not had any official contact with Mayfair, but their University of Catan site still lists the old rule (no trading after building) for original Settlers in the FAQ -- see the last question on the page below:

http://www.universityofcatan.com/faq/faqq48305.html

b

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paull
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dave,

Don't know about anything mayfair does. The latest version of SvC from germany (Teuber's company) allows the trading and building phases to be interchanged (allowing trade ports to be utlized when built on). They also allow the original seperate phases. Just decide which you want to do.

Secondarily, the rules also allow the robber to be put on any land tile, including the desert. You then rob a resource from a player with a settlement or adjacent, just like before.

Hope that helps.

--JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, Phillip. If a player has zero cards, one couldn't give free cards to him through "trades". Also people might need a little trust to do the pseudo-trades with someone, I guess.

As for the order of trading and building, I've sent Mayfair a link to my question here. Hopefully they will answer here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The trade-before-build rule was abolished in Mayfair's 5/6-player rules as well as in Cities and Knights. I believe I read a quote here on the Geek from Klaus Teuber (or perhaps Guido) saying that vanilla Settlers should now be played this way as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find no Subject heading under Guido's account that seems like it would have anything like this, and I don't see an account for Klaus listed under the designers geeklist ( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/12857 ).

Regardless, they should post it on the game's web site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother has my copy of the game, so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure the rules sheet in it includes both things you mentioned. (Although the "at any time" part is mentioned as an option for advanced players) It does specifically say that you can't give cards away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidme wrote:
I find no Subject heading under Guido's account that seems like it would have anything like this, and I don't see an account for Klaus listed under the designers geeklist ( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/12857 ).

Well, I did say "quote" and not "post"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I see, Chris. Still, the publishers' web site would be a smart place to put something like that.

William, I just broke the shrink on a new printing and indeed you are correct about the "Advanced" rule about turn order. They should just go ahead and make it a rule. It's needed moreso for beginners than those who know the game well enough to remember the other way. If they're going to use it in the World Championship games, they should just make it official errata. And they should post in on their site for those with previous editions of the game. The publishers of the most popular game in the genre should be able to update their site with errata.

As for giving away cards, I did find this line in the new book: "You may trade as long as you have Resource cards." Still not concrete, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be great if Mayfair simply provided a PDF of the rules for each Catan game and kept it updated.

The Catan series is wide open to house rules and such, but it is nice to have an "official" ruleset that everyone can agree on and is the same wherever you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.