Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heather Walters

Peninsula
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So yesterday I was at my FLGS for a club meeting and on my way out I happened to see the game and grabbed it. They had one copy!

As soon as I snagged it someone else asked me about it and where it was. Then I brought it over to a friend who was also very excited to see it, and she wanted a copy too.

But when I brought it up the owner of the game store told me "For full discloser the game has just 9 cards and some bits."

I told him I knew but had heard good things. He just felt the game is expensive for what it is, and he had not sold many copies.

I have looked for it at the store at least twice and have not found it before. And he could have sold two more copies last night if he had them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
People should really value games based on how much they derive enjoyment rather than components. But seriously, there are 16 cards and some cubes. My FLGS has it for $9.98 or something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
16 cards and 13 cubes.

I've played the game quite a bit and with many different people who have enjoyed it quite a bit.

People pay more for lunch than this game cost. I find that many hours of entertainment over many years is quite valuable, and Love Letter is quite a bargain for the entertainment it provides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Walters

Peninsula
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have Magic cards in the case that sell for 20 times that game, for one card.

I am excited to play the game this week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeky_Farmer wrote:
So yesterday I was at my FLGS for a club meeting and on my way out I happened to see the game and grabbed it. They had one copy!

...snip...

But when I brought it up the owner of the game store told me "For full discloser the game has just 9 cards and some bits."

Attempts to dissuade people from buying a original and popular game from his store with wrong information. Curious. I wouldn't count on your FLGS being around forever.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
16 cards and 13 cubes.

16 playing cards, 4 reference cards, 13 cubes, 1 small rulebook and a velvet bag. Precisely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, unlike many AEG titles, it also includes a game. Not a super heavy game, grant, but one we are happy to play.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is great. The only thing is the card quality could be better since you shuffle quite a bit. But I sleeved them, so it's ok

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thor0298 wrote:
I think the game is great. The only thing is the card quality could be better since you shuffle quite a bit. But I sleeved them, so it's ok

I'd say sleeving is a must for this game regardless of the card quality, just for the fact that the cards get shuffled so very often that it wouldn't take much to somehow damage/mark a card from the shuffling (or mishandling otherwise). In a game like this with so few cards and guessing/deducting what opponents have is key, even one damaged card can mess things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'm a fan of the quality of AEG's materials. I have one of the SmashUp sets that was used at GenCon last year, and our unsleeved cards are still in great condition. That being said, Love Letter does seem to go through a lot more wear and tear, perhaps because the games run so short and all of the cards get used almost every game. I think I am going to sleeve mine for just this reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Victor, I have Smash Up and haven't sleeved it. I haven't sleeved Thunderstone either, so I agree that AEG has quality cards. That said, damage to 1 or 2 cards in Love Letter, even a small nick in the edge (being dark color will show nick easier) will have a huge affect in this game compared to most other games. Besides, it's only 16 cards to sleeve and not going to cost much, certainly not as much as buying another copy of the game because the first one is unplayable with marked cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Walters

Peninsula
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lonadar wrote:
Personally, I'm a fan of the quality of AEG's materials. I have one of the SmashUp sets that was used at GenCon last year, and our unsleeved cards are still in great condition. That being said, Love Letter does seem to go through a lot more wear and tear, perhaps because the games run so short and all of the cards get used almost every game. I think I am going to sleeve mine for just this reason.

I have never sleeved a game before, but I am a bit disappointed with the thickness of the cards, they seem a bit light, especially for a game where they are handled and shuffled so much...

thepackrat wrote:
Attempts to dissuade people from buying a original and popular game from his store with wrong information. Curious. I wouldn't count on your FLGS being around forever.

I was surprised, but he does know me, and this is the little game I have ever bought from him... In general they are very helpful, which is, of course important, so I think this was that.

I have yet to see the game hit the table at my club, or a couple local events I have been too in the past two months and none of my friends have it yet, although it is on a few wish lists. So maybe he does not realize how popular it is?

I do think the store will be there for a while, I am impressed that every time I am in there at least one (usually more) person has been there shopping, not to mention the Magic players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Geeky_Farmer"]

Quote:
I have never sleeved a game before, but I am a bit disappointed with the thickness of the cards, they seem a bit light, especially for a game where they are handled and shuffled so much...

This is true regarding the thickness, however even if they were thicker, the odd mark here or there could happen, especially with dark edges of cards and not white border.

I've played the full game over 16 times with maybe 11 different people in 3 and 4 player games. Everyone enjoys the heck out of it. I've gotten much more value out of this game than many of the $20-$60 games I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Walters

Peninsula
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
Geeky_Farmer wrote:

This is true regarding the thickness, however even if they were thicker, the odd mark here or there could happen, especially with dark edges of cards and not white border.

I've played the full game over 16 times with maybe 11 different people in 3 and 4 player games. Everyone enjoys the heck out of it. I've gotten much more value out of this game than many of the $20-$60 games I own.

I got the sleeves and played the game today for the first time. I really like the game a lot. I think this will become a very regular fuller game, no doubt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeky_Farmer wrote:
Hahma wrote:
Geeky_Farmer wrote:

I got the sleeves and played the game today for the first time. I really like the game a lot. I think this will become a very regular fuller game, no doubt!

Good to hear Heather.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's become a VERY regular 15-minute filler around here. So much so, that yesterday, at a table of four people, we agreed to play a quick game of Love Letters and THREE of us got our own copies it of our bags.

Like The Resistance, it's a game where the value is determined by how often it is played and enjoyed rather than the cost of the components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly can't think of a game that is a better value. Some are a similar value, but not better IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
It's become a VERY regular 15-minute filler around here. So much so, that yesterday, at a table of four people, we agreed to play a quick game of Love Letters and THREE of us got our own copies it of our bags.

Like The Resistance, it's a game where the value is determined by how often it is played and enjoyed rather than the cost of the components.

Never got close to getting a game done in 15 minutes. I guess with 2 players or someone winning a lot of hands in a row can do it, but usually we all finish with a few cubes at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, two-player games are usually within 15 minutes. I'd agree that multi-player games can be a fair bit longer. Still, at about half an hour it's still a pretty quick filler that is a lot of fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
polyobsessive wrote:
In my experience, two-player games are usually within 15 minutes. I'd agree that multi-player games can be a fair bit longer. Still, at about half an hour it's still a pretty quick filler that is a lot of fun to play.

I just got it the other day, and have played it twice, once with 3 players and once with 4. I like it a lot, and it's really good value for money, but I can't see it working well with only 2 players. Will probably try it at some point, though.

Both games took about 45 minutes, which surprised me slightly. Thought it would be quicker, especially with 3, but that game went down to the wire; all of us had 4 cubes in the final round!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Walters

Peninsula
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played two 2-player games yesterday in under half an hour total. And they were our first games, but we only played to 5 cubes.

And they were both of our first games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This basically comes down to what was discussed at length in one of the other threads and whether you play for points/winner or just play a few hands and move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game speeds up considerably after a few games. When players no longer need to consult the overview cards, and know what each card does, and how many of them there are, the game will speed by. I play 2-player regularly with my 10-year-old to 7 cubes, and games are usually about 20 minutes.

I played for the first time this weekend with 3 other players who were new to the game. It took a bit longer, but still definitely in the "filler" range. FWIW, they immediately wanted to play again, and I won neither game. It really is a great little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the game was next to impossible to find a few months ago I made myself a DIY version with some scans, some sleeves, and 16 poker cards. We played it a lot. In fact, we enjoyed it so much that once they were available again I picked up a real copy of the game - well, actually two copies; one was a gift for a friend.

I really can't imagine anyone thinking the game isn't worth $10, especially a store owner. You can teach it in about 3 minutes, begin to develop a sense of how to win after a few rounds, and finish a game in about 30 or less. Plus, the whole thing fits in a pocket.

If it's still there, buy it. And tell the owner that there are a whole lot of people on BGG who think he is an idiot.

No, don't really say that. That wasn't nice. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Walters

Peninsula
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never say that. He is a nice guy and runs a good store. But for perspective I just spent $10 more on awesome custom heart markers for the game...

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameaccessory/141584/love-lett...

In less then a week of owning the game it has already been played more times (7) then any games in my collection other than Dominion, Small World, Ticket to Ride, and Carcassonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.